Special features based on registering with a Collector's Edition version, expansion upgrades (like upgrading an account for Battle for Azeroth) and promotional codes (like for a BlizzCon ), are associated with your account, and make those features available to all the characters under that account.
If one person logs into an account while someone else is playing a character on it, the one who was already playing will automatically get logged off from the game.
Current World of Warcraft account levels are:
- World of Warcraft: Free Trial: Created for free and does not require paid subscription. Level cap at 20. Cannot play as a death knight or demon hunter. Cannot join or create guilds, create one's own parties, use in-game mail or the auction house. Cannot play as any of the allied races.
- World of Warcraft: Subscription / Game time (monthly payment): level to 50 and access World of Warcraft: Classic.
- World of Warcraft: Shadowlands: level to 60 and access Shadowlands.
Previously there existed other account levels for World of Warcraft:
- Vanilla: Level cap at 60. Cannot visit blood elf and draenei starting zones, Outland or Northrend. Removed on 29 June 2011, with all remaining classic accounts automatically upgraded to The Burning Crusade.
- The Burning Crusade: Level cap at 70. Can play as a draenei or a blood elf, visit the draenei and blood elf starting zones and Outland. Removed on 13 September 2012, with all remaining Burning Crusade accounts automatically upgraded to Wrath of the Lich King.
- Wrath of the Lich King: Level cap at 80. Can play as a death knight once you have a character of level 55 or above on your account. Can enter Northrend. Removed on 16 October 2013, with all remaining Wrath of the Lich King accounts automatically upgraded to Cataclysm.
- Cataclysm: Must be purchased from retail stores or from Battle.net. Requires a monthly fee to play. Level cap at 85. Can join and create guilds, create one's own parties, use in-game mail and the auction house. Can learn archaeology and purchase a . Can visit Mount Hyjal, Vashj'ir, Deepholm, Uldum and the Twilight Highlands.
- Mists of Pandaria: Level cap at 90. Can play as a monk. Can enter Pandaria.
- Warlords of Draenor: Level cap at 100. Can enter, and have access to their own garrison, in Draenor.
- Legion: Level cap at 110. Can enter the Broken Isles and have access to artifact weapons. Merged with subscription/game time account level sometime prior to August 14, 2018.
- Battle for Azeroth: Level cap at 120. Can play allied races and access Kul Tiras, Zandalar, Nazjatar. Merged with subscription/game time account level with patch 9.0.1.
On Wowpedia, an account can mean the identity you use to store your Wowpedia preferences and log into in order to make edits.