Angels are winged creatures mentioned or witnessed throughout the Warcraft universe. They are rarely referred to specifically as "angels".
The first reference to angels exists in the Warcraft: Orcs & Humans manual:
As the archangels took up swords of light to defend the heavens, so must we take up holy arms to defend our lands.
The second reference to angels is seen in the Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness manual:
As the guardians took up swords of light to defend the heavens, so must the holy men of earth be prepared to combat the dark tide that was quickly approaching from the south.
World of Warcraft
- Kyrian from Bastion in the Shadowlands are angelic soul guides that have the duty of carrying souls to the Shadowlands.
- Spirit Healers, a type of kyrian.
- Val'kyr, beings inspired by the valkyries of Norse mythology, resemble angels.
- The Paladin level 85 spell apparently summons an angelic being.
- Ahoo'ru <The Unsullied> summons Avenging Angels in battle.
- was apparently the blade of a fallen angel.
- After being redeemed, Eranikus referred to Tyrande Whisperwind as an "angel of light".
- When asked about tonight's dinner by Admiral Odesyus, "Cookie" McWeaksauce sarcastically replies that the dessert will consist of cheesecake, "flown in fresh from Stormwind on the wings o' angels...".
- is a Discipline priest honor talent that when active grows a pair of yellow wings.
- Dark Archangel is a form taken by Baron Ashbury in Shadowfang Keep grows a pair of black wings in a "Dark Archangel Form" and is a Discipline priest honor talent that when active grows a pair of black wings.
- Calder Gray refers to his abomination as his "beautiful angel".
- Putti (baby angels) can be seen on the ceiling of the opera house in Karazhan.
- Naaru are described as angelic by Dornaa as well as in Chronicle Volume 1, and Chris Metzen has described them as "the angels of the Warcraft universe" in an interview.
- Tyrael, the archangel of wisdom in the Diablo franchise, is seen as an in-game pet in the form of and is referenced by .
- Helpless Wintergarde Villagers from the quest may sometimes, when you rescue them, say "You are my guardian angel! Like a white knight you flew in from the heavens and lifted me from the pit of damnation!"
- The ceiling at the bottom level of Wyrmrest Temple depicts four angel-like women.
- The angelic beings summoned by paladins in Warcraft III resemble a paladin with Lawbringer Armor and .
- The is an epic shield for holy paladins and restoration shamans, dropping from M'uru in Sunwell Plateau.
- and are Priest talents.
- The causes a Priest's healing spells to momentarily grant angelic wings.
- Auric's Angels are an Alliance team that can be encountered on Island Expeditions and also found idling in Boralus Harbor.
In the RPG
It is said that when the divine spell, Mass Revival, is cast, it summons an angelic form to appear as the caster's fallen allies rise again.
When the spell Divine Ascension is cast, the caster transforms into a "beautiful", angelic version of themselves. Their skin, hair, and nails change into metal — silver, bronze, or gold, and they gain the ability to cast healing faster.
- Flavor text for val'kyr Annhylde in Hearthstone reads: "It turns out that guardian angels can also be grim reapers."
Angelic being in Warcraft III.
Angels depicted on the ceiling of the Wyrmrest Temple.
Concept art of a winged kyrian.
Forsworn a once-bright soul winged kyrian that darkened.
- ^ Warcraft: Orcs & Humans manual, Azeroth Army of the First War, Cleric Spells
- ^ Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness manual, The Alliance of Lordaeron
- ^ BlizzCon 2019 World of Warcraft: Shadowlands Deep Dive Panel
- ^ worldofwarcraft.com - Shadowlands
- ^ https://www.wowhead.com/spell=93757/dark-archangel-form
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1, pg. 142
- ^ Burning Crusade Behind The Scenes - The Draenei (2008-03-19). Retrieved on 2016-05-26.
- ^ Magic & Mayhem, pg. 92
- ^ a b More Magic and Mayhem, pg. 74