- This article is about the area. For the battle that occurred here, see Battle of Angrathar the Wrathgate. For the TCG set, see Wrathgate (TCG).
Angrathar the Wrathgate is a barred entrance to Icecrown Citadel and is located in the northwest of Dragonblight. The Wrath Gate is under siege by both Horde and Alliance forces. They have set up the bases of Fordragon Hold, for the Alliance, and Kor'kron Vanguard, for the Horde. Their forces intend to storm into the Citadel. It is commonly here where characters (with the exception of death knights) will have their first direct encounter with the Lich King and the "first act" of the expansion will culminate. It is made of Saronite, a metal called "Black Blood of Yogg-Saron" by the tuskarr.
A major quest chain exists involving the Alliance and Horde forces garrisoned outside the Wrath Gate. To activate this chain, several other chains in Dragonblight must be completed.
- Westwind Refugee Camp
- Agmar's Hammer
- and subsequent quests.
- Strength of Icemist and subsequent quests.
- Once the above are completed, Overlord Agmar will offer the quest which is the starting point of the major event surrounding the Wrath Gate for Horde players.
- Wintergarde Keep
- Wintergarde Mine
- After completing the above, High Commander Halford Wyrmbane sends players into the Wintergarde Mausoleum on
Upon the completion of these quest chains, players can watch a cutscene depicting a great battle at the Wrath Gate. This cutscene can be repeated by speaking to Alexstrasza who can be found (along with Korialstrasz) standing on the fiery battlefield.
Upon completion of the Battle of Angrathar the Wrathgate, the region is largely depopulated, but those remaining are still screaming from the effects of the battle.
- Main article: Battle of Angrathar the Wrathgate
- Red dragons burning the plague away could already be seen in A New Power in Lordaeron where two dragons burn a plagued barn near the Capital City.
- "Angrathar the Wrathgate" is a Dragonblight subzone past the Court of Skulls. However, if one flies over the gate itself, the minimap displays it like a zone called "Angrathar the Wrath Gate".
- The structure is actually mirrored on both sides.