- For his character biography, see Anzu.
the Raven God|
|Race(s)||Dread raven / primal god (Beast)|
|Occupation||Raven God of the Arakkoa, Father of the Dread Ravens|
|Location||Sethekk Halls (heroic), Auchindoun|
|Relative(s)||Dread ravens (children), Ka'alu (consort)|
|Pet family||Bird of prey|
Anzu is a dread raven god and a boss in the Sethekk Halls of Auchindoun (on heroic difficulty only). He is most notable for dropping the , a ground mount. A druid used to have to summon and kill Anzu as part of the Epic Flight Form quest chain, but as of patch 4.0.1, the quest chain was removed and Anzu is now a permanent boss encounter.
A mysterious avian deity worshipped by some of the more savage arakkoa, Anzu is a being whose origins and powers are unlike any other member of Outland's fallen pantheon. The Naaru are silent regarding this malevolent creature, for Anzu's ways are hidden from even them.
- Paralyzing Screech — Anzu screeches, stunning all players within 100 yards for 6 sec.
- Flesh Rip — Anzu claws at a player, inflicting Physical damage every 3 seconds for 15 sec.
- Dive — Anzu charges a distant player, inflicting Physical damage and knocking them back.
- Spell Bomb — Anzu curses a target, inflicting Shadow damage and draining their mana each time they cast a spell for 8 sec.
- Cyclone of Feathers — Anzu cyclones a player, preventing all actions but making them invulnerable for 6 sec.
- Brood of Anzu — When Anzu reaches 75% and 35% remaining health, he banishes himself for 1 minute, making him immune to all damage and unable to move. While banished, Anzu will continue to use abilities and will summon the Brood of Anzu to defend him. Defeating all Brood of Anzu will cause Anzu to cancel the banish effect early.
- Screech — The Brood of Anzu screeches, reducing attack power of all enemies within 0 yards for 8 sec.
The fight is a regular tank-and-spank during phase 1. If a caster is afflicted by Spell Bomb, they should STOP casting immediately; if a healer is afflicted, an offhealer, if present, should heal the party for the duration of the debuff.
As Anzu approaches 66% (and later 33%), he'll self-banish and summon birds that should be AoE'ed. It is very beneficial to keep the Eagle Spirit active during Phase 2, taking advantage of its 300 DPS room-wide AoE. You will probably find that the Eagle Spirit's AoE is more successful than any mage or druid AoE that you use. There is also the advantage that the Eagle Spirit's AoE will not draw aggro to any party member. If you have a Frost Mage in your party, have them freeze the bird flock to help avoid harm to your party members. Anzu will unbanish after 1 minute or when all birds are dead — whichever comes first. If it seems likely that the birds aren't going to die in one minute, the tank needs to pick up Anzu while the rest of the group finishes the birds off.
Generally, you'll want to keep Hawk Spirit up as much as possible, Eagle during phase 2, and Falcon if you have spare time (the haste effect significantly increases the group's DPS, making the fight less time and mana consuming). While is longer, is instant cast — either may be used depending on the situation. The following macros enable you to cast Rejuvenation on a specific spirit without having to target it directly:
|Eagle Spirit (AoE damage)||Hawk Spirit (Mitigation)||Falcon Spirit (Haste)|
/target Eagle Spirit /cast Rejuvenation /targetlasttarget
/target Hawk Spirit /cast Rejuvenation /targetlasttarget
/target Falcon Spirit /cast Rejuvenation /targetlasttarget
Using macros such as the above will make this fight a lot easier than manual targeting. Manual targeting of the spirits becomes very difficult once the bird flock arrives due to the number of mobs on screen.
After the second, and last, wave of birds you may find the best way to finish the fight is to DPS Anzu down quickly.
- You may find it easiest to bunch together where Anzu is. It will be easier for the AoEers when the flock of birds come.
- If there's a feral druid, shift out and innervate a healer when he banishes.
- Make sure you're ready to heal the AoEers when the birds arrive.
- Try keep the left (hawk) and right (eagle) birds up at all times. Regrowth is the best option because of the duration, but since the 3.0 patch you cannot "cheat" and use rank 1 to use less mana. Depending on your gear and spec you may not want to use your mana for anything but HoTs now that this is the case.
- You don't need super DPS to kill him, he has pretty low HP — just play it smart.
- If you have spell bomb on you, take that time to bandage yourself or someone who needs it.
- Patch 8.3.7 (2020-07-23): Attempting to tame Anzu should no longer return an error.
- Hotfix (2020-02-03): Angerhoof Bull, Anzu, Blaithe, Doe, Greathorn Stag, Irewing, Motorback Ape, and Porkchop are now tamable.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): A druid is no longer required to summon Anzu. He is now a permanent boss in Heroic Sethekk Halls.
- Hotfix (2009-04-22): Killing Anzu in Sethekk Halls will properly save you to the instance.
- Patch 2.1.2 (2007-06-19):
- Anzu, the Raven God may no longer be pulled far away from the location where he is summoned.
- Anzu's Spell Bomb is now a curse and he will no longer charge.
- The quantity and health of Minions of Anzu that spawn have been reduced.
- The frequency and duration of many of his abilities have been retuned to make the fight more forgiving.
- Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22): Added.