|Location||Andorhal, Western Plaguelands|
Araj the Summoner was a lich in the service of Ner'zhul, the Lich King, who became regional commander of Scourge forces in the Western Plaguelands. It is known that he was the former leader of Scholomance before aiding the Scourge invasion of Caer Darrow and later claiming the city of Andorhal as his own.
Headquartered in the ruined city of Andorhal, Araj had two primary responsibilities: spread the Plague of Undeath via massive Plague Cauldrons situated at various points throughout the area, and continue to pound at the Forsaken defenses at the strategic pass known as the Bulwark. These duties kept him busy for some time after the end of the Third War, but ultimately it was the spreading of his resources that spelt his doom. Considering the Forsaken to be the most necessary target of Scourge forces, he left his southern flank far less guarded than was wise, perhaps not considering an Alliance incursion likely.
Subsequent to the fall of Arthas Menethil as the Lich King, Araj commanded the scattered remains of the Scourge forces still present at Andorhal. This persistence sealed his fate, however, and Araj was slain by adventurers seeking to conclude the long stalemate during the Battle for Andorhal. A shard from his phylactery was taken.
Notes and trivia
- Along with Morbent Fell and Ras Frostwhisper, Araj the Summoner was one of the randomly picked names for the Lich hero in Warcraft III.
- Before Cataclysm, were specifically designed to work against Araj. Chromie in Andorhal provided these dampeners as a reward for Counting Out Time. Effect: Inflict 1400 to 1800 arcane damage on the attuned target, and lower the damage it deals by 25%.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Level reduced from 61 to 35.
- Patch 2.3.0 (2007-11-13): Moved closer to the fountain, instead of standing on the road.
- Patch 1.7.0 (2005-09-13):
- The summoning crystals of Andorhal have been removed; as a result, Araj the Summoner will behave like a normal spawn. The respawn time on Araj once he is slain is 10-15 minutes.
- Araj the Summoner now has increased hit points and does increased melee damage.
- Araj the Summoner no longer drops a Corruptor's Scourgestone 100% of the time when killed.
- Patch 1.4.0 (2005-04-19): Araj should now spawn as a result of destroying the crystals in the towers of Andorhal.
Headmaster of the Scholomance