Arcane Explosion (often abbreviated as "AE") is level 6 mage point blank area of effect spell that deals arcane damage to all enemies within 10 yards of the caster and generates an Arcane Charge for Arcane mages. It is used most often to quickly kill multiple weak enemies.
- The 5 piece set bonus from the Netherwind Regalia set increase the radius of the spell by 25%, for a 12.5 yd radius.
- Even though it is instant and has no cooldown, the effective casting frequency is limited by the global cooldown.
Tips and tactics
- This spell is very popular. In instances especially, there are often groups of small non-elites either alone or surrounding a "leader" elite. Some instance groups bring a mage along solely to quickly deal with these pests. You won't mind being pigeonholed this way... it's both fun and a challenge to test your ability to stay alive.
- This is also used by higher level characters for farming instances for friends or for other farming purposes.
- Arcane Explosion is a basic Mage spell in Hearthstone. The flavor text reads: "This spell is much better than Arcane Implosion."
- Arcane Explosion is a Talent, an upgrade to Medivh's Basic Ability Force of Will in Heroes of the Storm.
- Patch 9.0.1 (2020-10-13): Now available to all mages.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Now has a guaranteed chance to generate an Arcane Charge. Damage increased by 37.6%. Mana cost increased by 100% and damage by 60% per Arcane Charge.
- Hotfix (2014-12-08): Damage has been increased by 10%.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Now available only to Arcane mages.
- Patch 5.3.0 (2013-05-21): Now deals 40% more damage.
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Damage has been increased by 30%.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Now costs 15% of base mana, down from 18%.
- Patch 2.4.0 (2008-03-25): The damage cap for area of effect damage on this spell has been increased by approximately 50%.
- Patch 1.11.0 (2006-06-19): Is now instant cast and will no longer remove the Presence of Mind effect when used.
- Patch 0.9 (2004-08-17): Should now be causing the damage listed in the tool-tip.
- Patch 0.7 (2004-06-15): Mana cost, casting time and damage reduced.