|Race||Black dragon (Dragonkin)|
|Location||The Athenaeum, Blackwing Descent|
Atramedes is a black dragon boss located in the Blackwing Descent raid. He is a boss in the Athenaeum section of the instance. As a whelp, Atramedes was chosen to be a specimen in one of the many twisted experiments conducted by the scientist Maloriak at the behest of the Lord of Blackrock Spire, Nefarian. Although the experiment was ostensibly a failure, rendering Atramedes completely blind, over time the dragon learned to use his other senses, becoming powerful and formidable regardless. He now serves Nefarian as one of his most adept agents, dealing with any intruders to his master's sanctum.
- 1 Background
- 2 Abilities
- 3 Strategy
- 4 Loot
- 5 Related achievements
- 6 Quotes
- 7 Videos
- 8 Notes and trivia
- 9 Patch changes
- 10 External links
Atramedes, also known as Experiment 25463-D, was a black whelp experimented on by Maloriak to be granted "sight beyond sight." This experiment failed, however, and caused Atramedes to become blind. Rather than disposing of him, Nefarian decided to make further use of the blind whelp.
Atramedes, or Experiment 25463-D, is a failed attempt to bestow enhanced senses on a black dragon whelp. The toxic salve applied to the broodling robbed him of sight, forcing him to rely on sound and smell for survival. A tragic story... if Atramedes weren't so evil.
- Sound — Atramedes is blind and hunts based on sound. Players begin the battle with 0 Sound and gain Sound when taking damage. Atramedes channels Devastation on targets with 100 Sound and quickly kills them.Using an Ancient Dwarven Shield resets the Sound on all players.
Ancient Dwarven Shields
Ten Ancient Dwarven Shields are positioned around the room. Any player can strike one of the shields and cause a Resonating Clash. This interrupts Atramedes' casting, resets the Sound on every player to zero, and gives Atramedes a case of Vertigo. When Atramedes recovers from Vertigo, he destroys the shield.
- Resonating Clash — The sound resonating from the Ancient Dwarven Shield interrupts Atramedes' casting.While Airborne, Atramedes switches the target of his Roaring Flame Breath to the player who used the Ancient Dwarven Shield.
- Vertigo — The Resonating Clash has sent the target into a state of Vertigo, increasing damage taken by 50% for 5 sec.
Atramedes begins the fight on the ground.
- Sonar Pulse — Sends discs of sonic energy flying around the room. If touched inflicts 5850 to 6150 Arcane damage and adds 5 sound per tick (7 on Heroic).
- Modulation — The Blind Dragon begins to Modulate, increasing the Sound of all enemies by 7 (10 on Heroic) and inflicting 39000 to 41000 Shadow damage. Damage and sound increased by your sound bar.
- Sonic Breath — Cast at a random raid member that is not the current tank. Deals 19500 to 20500 (Heroic: 29250 to 30750) Fire damage and adds 20 (Heroic: 30) sound per second. Follows the player faster the higher their sound is.
- Searing Flame — The blindly aimed flames inflict 15062 to 15438 (Heroic: 24691 to 25308) Fire damage every 1 sec, add 10 sound, and increases Fire damage taken by 25% per stack. Damage increased by current sound level. Applied 8 times over 8 seconds. Interrupt this with Vertigo. This is cast once per ground phase.
- Roaring Flame — Right after Searing Flame, flame patches are randomly spawned throughout the room and stay for 30 seconds. They deal damage and add 5 Sound to anyone walking through them.
- Devastation — Atramedes channels Devastation on all players with 100 sound, inflicting 24375 to 25625 Fire damage every 0.5 second.
- Roaring Flame Breath — Cast at a random raid member at the start of the phase. Deals 19500 to 20500 (Heroic: 29250 to 30750) Fire damage and adds 10 sound per tick (and ticks very fast). Follows the player faster the higher their sound is. This time it keeps speeding up, and you may want to use a shield to stop it. After the Vertigo stun, he will follow the player who hit the shield.
- Sonar Bomb — The Sonar Bomb inflicts 20000 (Heroic: 30000) Arcane damage to enemies within 8 yards and allows Atramedes to hear the targets more easily! Adds 20 sound (Heroic: 30). In addition, on Heroic the Bombs fall much, much quicker.
- Sonic Fireball — 29250 to 30750 Fire damage to enemies within 6 yards of the impact.
- Roaring Flame — Atramedes scatters flame patches across the room. The Roaring Flames inflict 14625 to 15375 (Heroic: 19500 to 20500) Fire damage, add 10 sound, and deal an additional 7800 to 8200 (Heroic: 9750 to 10250) Fire damage every 1 sec for 4 sec. Additionally the Reverberating Flames increase sound by five. These flames are also spawned in the path the Roaring Flame Breath takes while following its target, as well as in the path the Breath takes shifting from its target to the Shield that was rang.
- Obnoxious Fiend — Lord Victor Nefarius meddles in the fight, randomly opening portals and allowing Obnoxious Fiends to enter the fray. Each Obnoxious Fiend jumps on the back of a random player and tries to increase that player's Sound.
- Phase Shift — Shifts the Obnoxious Fiend out of existence, making him immune to spells. This buff is active whenever the Fiend is not on a player's back (whether by that player dying or the Fiend having just spawned).
- Obnoxious — The Obnoxious Fiend is making too much noise! Increases your sound by 10. Cast on the player whose back the Fiend is currently on. 1.5 sec cast
This encounter revolves around the Sound Bar mechanic. All of Atramedes' abilities cause their target's sound bar to increase, and when 100% sound is reached Atramedes will gain aggro on the target and hideously mangle and crush them. Atramedes will target the highest sound player with his abilities and follow them faster if their sound is higher.
There are 10 'gongs' around the room that can be interacted with, using them will reset every raid member's sound to zero and stun Atramedes for 5 seconds. However when they are used Atramedes will become extremely upset with them and burn them to ash, so they can only be used once each.
Atramedes starts off on the ground and should be tanked near the entrance. Lasts 80 seconds. This allows quick access to the shields by a player designated to hit them. Atramedes melees slowly, but very hard. Ranged and melee should be stacked on differing sides of the boss to allow for predictable Sonar Pulse flight pathing. He will also cast Modulation at regular intervals for unavoidable raid damage and sound.
Twice per phase Atramedes will use Sonic Breath, which has a 2 sec cast time. he will quickly target the person he's casting on before using it. A direction needs to be set up beforehand on where the player needs to run (i.e. targetted player runs clockwise, others run counter). Once per phase he will channel Searing Flames. This is the main source of wipes. The designated shield hitter must always be near a shield to quickly whack it and stun Atramedes. Ideally you'll only get one stack of the debuff. Two is acceptable. Anything higher is not acceptable as he usually follows up with a Modulation which will do hefty damage and likely kill low health members.
Shortly after Searing Flames he will take off and phase 2 will begin.
Atramedes is now in the air and has a new repertoire of moves. The most deadly being Roaring Flame Breath. This is where you'll need at least one or two dedicated kiters. Mages and Warlocks work well, and engineering is almost a must. The goal of this phase is to get through it, using preferably only one, at max two shields. As soon as the boss starts channeling, the kiter whacks a shield stunning the boss and becoming the new target. A mage can use Blink as well as the engineering belt to stay ahead of the flame, while a warlock can use the Soulburn/Portal combo to get away from the flame as well as a speed boost, before using the belt. Both will still likely need Priest's Body and Soul shields for the final few seconds. Other good kiters include Rogues (), Druids () and Shaman ( with ). It also is a good idea for everyone to bring a few Swiftness Potions, just in case they get stuck with being the first person targeted and they have no way to speed up - however doing this will make the player unable to use other potions such as , or . Set up an order of who hits the gongs on this phase before pulling to avoid wasted shields.
While the kiting is going on the rest of the raid need to avoid the Sonar Bomb and Sonic Fireball as well as staying out of the flame patches, all the while ranged should be trying to put as much damage in Atramedes as possible.
After 40seconds Atramedes will land and phase 1 will resume.
Rinse and Repeat.
The shields work as a sort of soft enrage, limiting the fight's length by providing a limited number of sound bar resets. On Heroic difficulty, Atramedes will go berserk after ten minutes, likely wiping the raid in relatively short order.
- Images of Lord Victor Nefarius, Maloriak, and a whelping appear before the group.
- Lord Victor Nefarius says: Ah Maloriak. How gracious of you to finally appear from that quarantine you call a laboratory. What have you got this time?
- Maloriak says: My sincerest apologies for the disturbance, my liege. But I believe I have something you may be very interested in!
- Lord Victor Nefarius says: By all means, enlighten me.
- Maloriak says: Yes, yes!
- Maloriak says: By extracting agents from the blood of various dragonflights I have created a salve that bestow the wearer sight beyond sight!
- Maloriak says: Sense beyond this realm of mortality!
- Maloriak says: Atramedes! Your master beckons.
- The whelp, Atramedes moves forward.
- Maloriak says: I present to you experiment number 25463-D!
- Maloriak uses his salve on Atramedes, causing the whelp to glow orange before becoming disoriented.
- Lord Victor Nefarius says: It appears as though your experiment has failed. That whelp has gone completely blind! Look at him.
- Lord Victor Nefarius says: LOOK AT HIM!
- Maloriak says: How could this be!? I will dispose of him immediately!
- Lord Victor Nefarius says: No, not yet.
- Lord Victor Nefarius says: This object of your chagrin may still prove... valuable... to me.
- Lord Victor Nefarius says: Leave now, pathetic alchemist. I anxiously await your next failure.
- Maloriak says: Yes, my lord.
- The images fade away.
- Atramedes yells: I have no need for eyes to see my enemies. Your clumsy footsteps and foul stench give you away!
- Lord Victor Nefarius yells: Atramedes, are you going deaf as well as blind? Hurry up and kill them all.
- Shield used while Atramedes is on the ground on Heroic difficulty
- Lord Victor Nefarius yells: These shields are proving quite the nuisance.
- Obnoxious Fiend casts Obnoxious on Heroic Difficulty
- Lord Victor Nefarius yells: Atramedes, the heroes are right THERE!
- Searing Flame
- You cannot hide from Searing Flame!
- Air Phase
- Yes, run! With every step your heartbeat quickens. The beating... loud and thunderous, almost deafening! You cannot escape!
- Killing a player
- Sighted, but blind to the truth. Embrace the finality of it all!
- Death waits in the darkness!
- This miserable existence finally ends.
- Death on normal difficulty
- Lord Victor Nefarius yells: Now that was really unnecessary.
- Death on heroic difficulty
- Lord Victor Nefarius yells: You should've been disposed of a long time ago.
- Unused quote
- I can hear your little hearts beating!
- Cause and Effect, on screen guide, voice chat, low in game sound
- MrGelowe Post Patch 4.2
- A New Hope
Notes and trivia
- World first heroic kill on 25-man achieved 27.12.2010 by Method of Xavius Europe.
- Atramedes is voiced by Matthew Mercer.
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28):
- Health, melee damage, modulation damage, Roaring Flame Breath damage, and Searing Flame damage have all been reduced by 20%.
- Modulation no longer causes Sound in normal difficulty.
- Sound given by Sonar Pulse has been reduced to 3, down from 5.
- Hotfix (2011-06-28): Atramedes's Sonar Pulses are properly moving toward raid members when spawned underneath him.
- Hotfix (2011-04-27): Obnoxious Fiends should no longer despawn erratically during the Atramedes encounter. Their behavior is now only appropriately obnoxious.
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26):
- Searing Flames now causes a 6-second cooldown on Modulation.
- Searing Flames no longer increases Sound on players.
- Players should no longer be able to avoid the first period damage tick of Searing Flame, and Searing Flame now ticks every 2 seconds. The damage of Searing Flame has been increased to compensate for it ticking less frequently.
- Hotfix (2011-03-16): Atramedes will no longer sometimes snap back to his starting location as he finishes casting Sonic Breath.
- Hotfix (2011-01-18):
- Atramedes will now reset if the players targeted by Sonic Breath or Obnoxious Fiends attempt to leave the room.
- Zoning into the dungeon after a soft reset now causes all Atramedes-related objects and creatures to reset completely. The introduction event will replay once the dwarves have been cleared. Entering combat with Atramedes forces the gongs to become usable and the fight will function normally from this point.
- Atramedes will no longer despawn when his tail passes through the area trigger in the entrance to his room. He will no longer despawn randomly during the fight. Pulling him out of his room will now cause him to reset.
- Hotfix (2011-01-03):
- Sonar Pulse is now spawned on top of Atramedes' current location and will spawn regardless of where Atramedes is tanked. In addition, Sonar Pulse now idles for 1 second after being cast before they move away from their spawn location.
- It is no longer possible to use immunities to reset a player's sound bar while fighting Atramedes.
- Atramedes' Sonic Breath now properly ignores line of sight.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Added.