An aura is a type of area of effect (AoE) spell.
Auras have four basic characteristics:
- They are AoE spells, based on the position of the caster, otherwise known as point blank area of effect (PBAoE) spells.
- They are instant cast, and have no cooldown.
- They have an infinite duration, as long as the affected target is within range of the caster, and the caster is alive.
- They are not dispellable.
- - Water walking
- - Health stealing (removed in patch 3.1)
- - Resist all (removed in patch 3.1)
- - Faster run speed (removed in patch 3.1)
- Leader of the Pack (old) - Crit increase (effect of Feral forms)
- Moonkin Aura - Spell Crit increase (effect of )
- Tree of Life Aura - Healing Received increased (effect of Tree of Life Form)
- - Armor increase, Healing Received increased
- - Reduces spell pushback
- - Mounted Speed increase
- - Deals Holy damage when hit
Some classes also have pets or totems with auras:
- Cleansing Totem - Disease and Poison removal
- - Snare
- - Fire Resistance increase
- - Increases spell power
- - Frost Resistance increase
- - Agility increase (removed in patch 3.0)
- - Absorbs a spell
- - Provides healing
- - Pulsing AoE fire damage
- - Mana regeneration
- - Powerful Mana regeneration
- - Taunts enemies and stuns those that attack it
- - Reduces melee damage taken
- - Strength increase
- - Spell Hit and Spell Crit increase
- - Reduces Threat
- - Fear, Charm and Sleep removal
- - Grants melee haste
- - Reduces ranged damage taken (removed in patch 3.0)
- - Spell haste increase
- - Deals fire damage to surrounding enemies but consumes mana (demon form only)
- - Intellect and spirit increase (used by Felhunter)
Item granted auras
- grants Power of the Guardian effect to its wielder. The effects this ability has depends on class:
- Druid: Restores 11 mana per 5 seconds to all party members within 30 yards.
- Mage: Increases the spell critical strike rating of all party members within 30 yards by 28.
- Priest: Increases healing done by magical spells and effects of all party members within 30 yards by up to 62.
- Warlock: Increases damage and healing done by magical spells and effects of all party members within 30 yards by up to 33.
- grants Unholy Aura effect to its wielder:
- Increases movement speed by 8% and life regeneration by 20 hp per 5 seconds. (note: this affects the wielder only)
Creatures who have auras
- Wanton Hostesses in Karazhan have Alluring Aura when in physical form and Bewitching Aura while in ghost form
- Unholy Aura is an ability that mobs such as Baron Rivendare, Lord Alexei Barov, Atiesh, Eredar Deathbringer have. It has different effects but in most cases it does periodic shadow damage.
- Mobs in the Military Wing of Naxxramas had Aura of Agony.
- Reliquary of Souls in the Black Temple has Aura of Anger', Aura of Desire, and Aura of Suffering, depending of the essence it is tuned on.
- Coilfang Serpentguard have Corrupt Devotion Aura.