Avatar of Hakkar
- For his character biography, see Hakkar the Soulflayer.
|Race||Skeletal wind serpent (Undead)|
|Level||53 - 54 Elite|
|Location||Temple of Atal'Hakkar|
|Pet family||Wind serpent|
Avatar of Hakkar is a skeletal wind serpent summoned in the Temple of Atal'Hakkar. The Avatar can be summoned in the Sanctum of the Fallen God using either an or or by simply clicking the Shrine of the Soulflayer.
The Avatar of Hakkar is the immortal presence of the god Hakkar the Soulflayer. Its spirit still haunts the Temple of Atal'Hakkar, waiting for the right time to regain its power.
Legend state that there is an egg that is the only item that can contain the essence of Hakkar and prevent him from rising again. The stories say that the location of the egg is somewhere near the Hinterlands.
Hakkar was notorious for demanding sacrifices from his followers. Many millennia ago, he instructed the Atal'ai to bring for this avatar, using blood ritually drained from living victims to feed him. The Atal'ai priests now seek to raise Hakkar's avatar with a modified version of this ritual, one that involves sacrificing green dragons. If the Atal'ai succeed, the re-emergence of Hakkar's avatar could spell doom for Azeroth.
- Cause Insanity — The Avatar of Hakkar drives a player insane, causing them to attack their own allies for 6 sec. Players driven insane will attack 50% faster and move 80% faster.
- Curse of Tongues — The Avatar of Hakkar curses a player, reducing their casting speed by 50% for 15 sec.
- Lash — The Avatar of Hakkar lashes out at his current target, stunning them for 2 sec. In addition, Lash has a 10% chance of disarming its target for 5 sec.
Taking down the Avatar of Hakkar is deceptively easy, although the event looks complicated. Someone with the egg must start the event or simply right-click the Shrine of the Soulflayer.
The Avatar of Hakkar will spawn and will aggro if someone is near the ritual circle. He will occasionally cast Cause Insanity, a spell that will make a player charge after their teammates.
If the cave is being solo'ed you need to kill him fast, since Cause Insanity will mark you as a non-enemy for him and will restart.
In order to spawn Avatar of Hakkar someone needs to have the scroll and right-click it.
There will be an elite Hakkari Bloodkeeper that spawns between each Eternal Flame you put out; killing that Bloodkeeper will drop for someone to loot. Meanwhile non-elite serpents will also spawn and meander around the central circle where the Avatar of Hakkar is waiting to be freed. They will not attack unless aggroed, or the Bloodkeeper is near them when pulled. It's critical to stay in the corners, so you only have to fight the elite mobs, and the occasional serpent that aggros with it. As you put out each flame, run along the walls to the next flame. Periodically an elite dragonspawn will path in, and begin casting something on Hakkar. Pull them over to the group just like the Bloodkeepers, though nothing will assist them.
Your group can take their time like this, putting out each flame and resting/drinking as needed. Once there is only one flame left to put out and you have the last Hakkari Blood, then kill any remaining elites and spawn the Avatar of Hakkar. The serpents beneath him will aggro, but a quick burst of any form of Area Effect damage should quickly kill them. Then all that's left to do is kill the Avatar, who actually looks much deadlier than he is. He will someone in the group periodically, but the duration is short, and he really doesn't have much health. Once he dies, those with the quest can collect his essence!
The will not be removed from the player's inventory once the quest has been completed and can be used to summon Avatar of Hakkar during further runs of the Sunken Temple. There is no way to re-acquire the Egg of Hakkar and summon Hakkar after completion of this quest if it has been destroyed by the player.
Tips and advice
- Many groups will turn on free loot to make it easier to gather the blood and extinguish the torches. Make sure you turn group loot back on before killing the boss or you may accidentally ninja loot without thinking.
- HAKKAR LIVES!
- I AM NEAR!
- DIE MORTALS!
- Killing a Player
- I TASTE THE BLOOD OF LIFE.
- I DRAW CLOSER TO THE WORLD!
- The Avatar of Hakkar is voiced by Marc Graue.
- Patch 9.0.1 (2020-10-13): Now tamable.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Level increased from 48 to 53-54.
- Patch 0.8 (2004-07-07): Added.