Azzinoth was a powerful doomguard commander of the Burning Legion slain by Illidan Stormrage during the War of the Ancients, 10,000 years ago. He was the original wielder of Illidan's warglaives, which the demon hunter claimed after slaying his foe.
- Azzinoth is mentioned in the non-canon Warcraft RPG, in Arthas: Rise of the Lich King and in the Ultimate Visual Guide. Illidan's encounter with Azzinoth is an extension to the events of the War of the Ancients, but was not mentioned in any other accounts of the war.
- Azzinoth later appeared in the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game (War of the Ancients). Oddly, he is depicted as a terrorguard, even though all other sources, including the TCG card itself, calls him a doomguard.
- The battle between Illidan and Azzinoth serves as the first boss fight of the Demon Hunter Prologue missions required to unlock the demon hunter class in Hearthstone. During the battle, Azzinoth gloats about the Kaldorei Resistance's weakness and uses his warglaives and demonic minions to aid him, while Illidan counters with his powers as a mage and receives help from Malfurion Stormrage's treants and Kur'talos Ravencrest himself. Although non-canon, this marks the first time that the duel was officially portrayed in a Warcraft game.
- How exactly Illidan confronted Azzinoth and obtained his warglaives is not something Blizzard wants covered in detail.
- During the Mythic Gul'dan fight at the Nighthold, while battling Sargeras in Illidan's body, adds called Soul Fragment of Azzinoth spawn.
Demon hunters ingest the heart and blood of a demon to bond its spirit with theirs, granting them their demonic powers. Illidan may have done this with Azzinoth. The existence of the Soul Fragment of Azzinoth could support this.