- For the comic chapter, see Balancing the Scales (comic).
|Balancing the Scales|
|Result||Night Elf victory|
|Previous||Wrath of the Betrayer|
|Next||Shards of the Alliance|
Balancing the Scales is chapter 5 of the Terror of the Tides campaign.
It was an engagement fought as a result of the battle in Wrath of the Betrayer, between Illidan Stormrage's Naga and the Night Elves under the command of Maiev Shadowsong, Tyrande Whisperwind and Malfurion Stormrage.
The next day, on the shores of the Broken Isles, Maiev and her Watchers attempt to hold the line against Illidan's final assault.
- Reach Maiev's base
- Tyrande and Malfurion must survive
Maiev and her Night Elf forces have been holding off Illidan and the Naga for weeks. With her defenses weakened and her gold supply exhausted, she cannot last much longer. You must bring Malfurion and Tyrande to Maiev's base and crush the imminent Naga threat.
- Destroy Illidan's base
The Naga forces are still poised to attack. Destroy them and send Illidan's foolish minions back to the sea so that you can recapture Illidan.
- Reach the first ship
- Reach the second ship
- Reach the third ship
The Night Elf fleet was separated when crossing the perilous ocean. Now the three remaining ships are stranded offshore, unable to safely land. Reach all of the ships and clear a path for them to land upon the shore.
- Naga forces are seen attacking Maiev's base while an owl scout flies overhead.
- Maiev Shadowsong: Hold your ground, my warriors! Goddess willing, Shan'do Stormrage will come.
- Meanwhile, Malfurion and Tyrande's forces have landed on the shores of the island.
- Malfurion Stormrage: We've landed safely, but a few of our ships may have run aground on the outlying islands. I hate to leave any of our forces behind, but we simply have no time to wait.
- Tyrande's owl scout returns to her.
- Tyrande Whisperwind: My owls have already scouted ahead of us and found Maiev's location. She and her forces are under attack, but we'll need to pass through the jungle to reach her.
- Malfurion Stormrage: Perhaps force of nature will speed our way.
- Malfurion uses the spell to transform some nearby trees into treants, clearing a path through the vegetation.
- Tyrande Whisperwind: We'd best make haste. I doubt Maiev's forces can hold out much longer.
During the Mission
- Tyrande Whisperwind: What are these vile serpents?
- Malfurion Stormrage: I don't know, but these creatures feel familiar somehow.
- Naga: Wretched night elves! We are the naga! We are the future.
- Malfurion Stormrage: We should move quickly to save Maiev!
- Malfurion Stormrage: We must reach the wardens base quickly!
- Tyrande Whisperwind: Maiev's forces won't hold out much longer!
- Tyrande Whisperwind: We're running out of time. We must reach Maiev quickly!
- Malfurion Stormrage: We'll have to fight our way through the naga to reach Maiev.
- Tyrande Whisperwind: Then these foul beasts shall feel the wrath of the goddess' light!
- Maiev Shadowsong: Elune be praised! I knew you would come, Shan'do Stormrage!
- Malfurion Stormrage: I'm glad we reached you in time, Maiev.
- Maiev Shadowsong: Priestess Tyrande, I'm surprised you came in person. Are you here to absolve your guilty conscience?
- Tyrande Whisperwind: I did what I had to do, Maiev. You are in no position to judge me.
- Maiev Shadowsong: What you did was murder my Watchers and set the Betrayer free! It is you who should be locked in a cage.
- Malfurion Stormrage: Stop this, both of you! We're not out of danger yet. Maiev, what's the situation here?
- Maiev Shadowsong: There are no resources left in this area, Shan'do. We'll need to find a gold mine if we're to marshal more troops for an assault on Illidan's compound.
- Malfurion Stormrage: Very well. Let's get moving, then.
- Maiev Shadowsong: We're wasting too much time. The longer we wait to attack, the stronger Illidan's forces become. We must strike soon, Shan'do!
- Illidan Stormrage: Tyrande! What are you doing here? This battle does not concern you.
- Tyrande Whisperwind: I was wrong to set you free, Illidan. I can see that now. You've become a monster.
- Illidan Stormrage: Monster? Is that what you think of me? I have always...cared about you, Tyrande. I sought only to prove my worthiness--my power!
- Tyrande Whisperwind: Raw power is no substitute for true strength, Illidan. That is why I chose your brother over you.
- Illidan Stormrage: Still you refuse to see me for what I truly am. You believe me to be a villain--your enemy. But soon now, you will see our enemies are the same!
- Malfurion Stormrage: Just as I suspected; our ships did run aground here. The special allies I brought from Ashenvale should be somewhere in the vicinity.
- Tyrande Whisperwind: Special allies?
- Malfurion Stormrage: Just keep searching. You'll know them when you see them.
- Malfurion Stormrage: There! Our missing comrades--the mountain giants!
- Tyrande Whisperwind: By Elune... I haven't seen one of their kind in ages.
- Malfurion Stormrage: The Legion's coming awoke many of our old friends from their timeless slumber. These mighty ones will be a great help to us.
- The night elf forces overrun the naga base.
- Maiev Shadowsong: Victory is ours! It has been an honor to fight at your side, Shan'do.
- Malfurion Stormrage: This battle is far from over, Maiev. Illidan has yet to be accounted for, and I've seen no sign of Tyrande, either.
- Tyrande is somewhere else in the forest, chasing down Illidan and a few naga by herself.
- Tyrande Whisperwind: Show yourself, Illidan! It's over!
- Illidan and his servants turn around the face the priestess, with one of the naga trapping Tyrande under a net.
- Illidan Stormrage: Not yet, my little priestess. A pity you couldn't see things my way. Now you--and the whole world--will understand just what I'm capable of! Ash Karath!
- Malfurion and Maiev arrive to the scene.
- Illidan Stormrage: Brother! What are you doing here?
- Malfurion Stormrage: I've come to stop you, Illidan. Instead of banishing you, I should have returned you to your cage when I had the chance! I was weak then--but no longer.
- Illidan Stormrage: I have sworn allegiance to a new master, brother. I have a great task to perform in his service. I'm sorry, but I cannot allow you to stand in my way.
- Tyrande breaks free of the net and casts starfall. Illidan gets out just in time, but his naga forces are slaughtered by it. Malfurion, Tyrande, and Maiev make it to shore just in time to watch Illidan sail off in a boat.
- Malfurion Stormrage: Don't worry, my love. We'll find Illidan wherever he runs. We'll find him.
After successfully stealing the Eye of Sargeras, Illidan ordered the larger part of his Naga under the command of Lady Vashj to travel to Dalaran, to prepare for the ritual which would destroy the Lich King. Illidan himself stayed behind upon the Broken Isles with a smaller force of Naga commanded by Lady Serpentra, to finish the destruction of his sworn enemy, Maiev Shadowsong.
However, Maiev had been successful in calling for reinforcements. Horrified by the reports of Illidan's actions, Tyrande Whisperwind and Malfurion Stormrage quickly mustered a relief force and traveled to the Broken Isles to aid the Warden. Unfortunately their fleet was scattered by the storms of the region. The two Night Elves hastily attempted to rally their forces as the Naga renewed their assault upon Maiev.
Maiev and her few remaining Sentinels had been driven to the ruins of the ancient library of Izal-Shurah, a place devoid of resources. They fought grimly against the overwhelming numbers of Naga, knowing defeat to be all but inevitable. Meanwhile, Tyrande used her owl scouts to discover Maiev's position. She and Malfurion sought out the Night Elf ships driven off-course, fighting their way through gangs of Naga and sea monsters to link up with some "special allies" Malfurion had had summoned specifically for the attack. These proved instrumental in tearing apart the Naga base closest to Maiev's beleaguered Sentinels.
Maiev was overjoyed to see Malfurion, but treated Tyrande with disdain for her part in releasing Illidan from his prison. Regardless of their divisions, the three commanders united to engage the Demon Hunter, who had stepped in to personally lead the Naga against the Night Elves. The latter forced Illidan back to his base and routed his Naga.
In the confusion of the final assault upon the second Naga base, Illidan managed to slip away with his Royal Guard. He was tailed by Tyrande, who was in turn ensnared by a Myrmidon. Illidan told Tyrande that to follow him was to invite disaster, and what he did was for the good of all; Tyrande replied that she saw now that it had been a mistake to release him. With the arrival of Maiev and Malfurion, Illidan fled, leaving the Myrmidon to cover his escape.
Illidan fled to Dalaran to unite with Vashj and her forces, who had begun the final preparations for the mighty spell which would tear apart the Lich King's realm. They were followed by his three pursuers, however, who united with Prince Kael'thas and his Blood Elves to confront him once and for all.
Despite their emphatic defeat of the Naga on the Broken Isles, the Night Elves did not attempt to reclaim their former lands for themselves. Whether the Naga remained in the sunken ruins is not known.
- 1 Warden
- 1 Keeper of the Grove
- 1 Priestess of the Moon
- Night Elf Archers
- Huntresses Night Elf
- Druids of the Claw Night Elf
- Druids of the Talon Night Elf
- Mountain Giants
- 1 Demon Hunter
- 1 Naga Sea Witch
- Mur'gul Reavers
- Naga Sirens
- Myrmidons Naga
- Royal Guards Naga
- Snap Dragons
- Dragon Turtles
- Sea Creature Dwellings and Land Creature Dwellings are present.