Bear Form is the second shapeshift ability learned by a druid at level 8. This form has tank-like abilities, similar to a warrior. While in Bear Form, the druid's mana bar is replaced by a rage bar. The druid's armor and Stamina are also boosted.
For Guardian druids, Bear Form now also increases armor by 285%, reduces magical damage taken by 10%, reduces the chance to be critically hit by 6%, and reduces the chance for attacks to be parried by 3%. Note that as of patch 6.0.2, this information is not displayed in the ability's tooltip, or anywhere else in-game.
Tips and tactics
- See also: Druid tactics
- As a druid, you really need to get a feel for when to change forms. Early on in the game, you may find it useful to cast a few long range spells, such as , then change to Bear Form when an enemy gets close.
- Bear Form is generally good to use against non-casters or those with higher armor, since you do higher melee damage, but at a slower attack speed.
- If you're not sure if you can handle your (melee) enemy(s) (i.e. higher level, may be adds), use Bear Form until you get a feel for the fight.
- Also, as a tank, Bear Form has a pretty reliable taunt to draw aggro away from more squishy party members.
- For details on tanking as a druid in raids, see the druids as tanks page.
- In Bear Form, or as a Druid in general, you cannot block or parry, so your only method of ignoring damage is through dodging. However, keep in mind that you do not gain rage from dodging an attack.
- Each race has a distinct model for its Bear Forms, and there are five different textures for each model. These textures correspond to the skin tone of Tauren druids, or the hair color of the other races. Druids can change their design at any time by visiting a barbershop and choosing a new skin tone or hair color as appropriate for their race. Since there are more hair colors and skin tones than unique textures, some colors and tones will produce the same designs. The hair and skin colors chosen will, in most cases, correspond to the colors seen in the design of each form.
- Prior to 4.0.1, you had to complete the Bear Form quest chain, starting with the quest to get Bear Form. It is now simply trainable at any druid trainer.
- Can only use Bear Form abilities, with the exception of .
- You are considered a beast, so abilities that target beasts can be used on you. On the flip side, abilities like won't.
- Shapeshifting breaks snare effects. As such, a much used principle is Powershifting, using
/cast !Bear Formor alike, to instantly shift out and in, breaking snares at the cost of some mana and a global cooldown.
- Your caster form will start regaining mana immediately after you change to Bear Form, with a convenient extra mana bar displayed below the rage bar.
- You cannot parry or block in Bear Form, so your only method of ignoring damage is dodge.
- Druids in Bear Form generate 500% of the normal threat.
- The attack speed in Bear Form is 2.50. Weapon damage is normalized so that DPS remains the same.
- The armor bonus is only applied to natural armor (received from white effects), and not item modifiers (enchantments, armor kits, etc).
- Auto-attacks generate 5 Rage.
For Artifact weapon appearances see Claws of Ursoc
- Old models
Night Elf bear forms, including the original (seen at the bottom middle) that was used prior to patch 3.2.
Tauren bear forms, including the original (seen at the bottom middle) that was used prior to patch 3.2.
Troll bear forms.
Worgen bear forms.
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2017-04-03): "
- In PvP, Bear Form now grants 125% Armor (was 200% Armor). Guardian Druid Bear Form unchanged.
- In PvP, Bear Form now grants 40% Stamina (was 55% Stamina). Guardian Druid Bear Form unchanged."
- Patch 7.1.5 (2017-01-10): Auto-attacks now generate 7 Rage (was 7.875 Rage).
- Patch 7.1.0 (2016-10-25): Now learned at level 10 (was 8).
- Hotfix (2016-09-13): "Shifting into Bear Form will no longer freeze resource decay for non-Guardian druids."
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19):
- Now increases armor by 200% (down from 250%) and stamina by 55% (up from 20%). No longer increases threat generation. Mana cost removed.
- Another model update.
- Hotfix (2015-06-30): "Fixed a bug that was preventing Balance and Restoration Druids from gaining attack power from Intellect in Bear Form or Cat Form."
- Patch 6.2.0 (2015-06-23): Now increases armor by 285% (up from 250%) for Guardian druids.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14):
- has been removed and its effects have been incorporated into Bear Form.
- Bear Form now increases armor by 250% for all druid specializations (down from 330% for Guardian druids, but up from 120% for non-Guardian druids), no longer increases Haste and Critical Strike from items by 50%, but instead causes Haste to reduce the global cooldown, increases Stamina by 20% (down from 40%), and reduces magic damage taken by 10% (down from 25%).
- For Guardian druids, Bear Form now also reduces magical damage taken by 25%, reduces chance to be critically hit by 6%, and reduces chance for attacks to be parried by 3%.
- Patch 5.4.0 (2013-09-10): Now increases Stamina contribution from cloth and leather items by 40% (up from 20%).
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Now also increases haste and critical strike from items by 50%, and sets Rage to 10 upon shapeshifting.
- Patch 4.3.0 (2011-11-29): Now provides an armor bonus of 120% at all levels, up from 65% for characters below level 40, making it easier for lower level druids to tank dungeons, and now provides a Stamina bonus of 20%, up from 10%. Threat generated has been increased to 500% damage done, up from 300%.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Now provides 10% bonus health, down from 20%.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): The Bear Form quest chain is removed. Available at level 15 for 17 28.
- Patch 3.2.0 (2009-08-04):
- New textures for bear models, adjustable at the barbershop.
- Mana energizes that occur while in this form will now appear in the combat log and floating combat text.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): The mana regeneration penalty when in Bear Form, and has been removed.
- Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22): The bonus health from shapeshifting into this form will again be removed correctly when shifting out of this form.
- Patch 1.6.0 (2005-07-12):
- Patch 1.4.0 (2005-04-19): Shapeshifting into an animal form will now remove Polymorph effects.
- Patch 1.2.0 (2004-12-18): Armor bonus increased from 65% to 180%.
- Patch 1.1.1 (2004-11-17): Bear Form has been improved to hold aggro more effectively.
- Patch 0.12 (2004-10-11):
- Shapeshifting now breaks roots, snares, and freeze effects.
- Shapeshift forms now include an immunity to polymorph effects.
- HP gain increased.
- Patch 0.9 (2004-08-17):
- Now considered a beast in Bear Form.
- Shapeshifting will no longer cancel all buffs on the Druid.
- Shapeshifting cooldown reduced from 10 to 1.5 seconds.
- Druids now regenerate mana while in shape shift form.
- When shapeshifting into and out of Bear/Dire Bear forms, you should now end with the same % of health as you had in the previous form.
- Bear Form's armor increased.
- Bear Form and mana cost slightly reduced.