Bill Roper is a former Blizzard Entertainment game developer.
In 1991, he joined Blizzard and started work on the game Blackthorne and providing voices for Warcraft: Orcs & Humans, and became a full-time employee on August 1, 1994. He was able to work in many things: from game design to producing, manual concept and layout to voice casting, directing and acting to music, and being a member of several strike teams that provide high-level feedback to the development teams. He served as a Vice President of Blizzard North and was a Director of Blizzard Entertainment from 1994 to 2003.
He and some colleagues left Blizzard because of frustration at the lack of communication with Vivendi management and a dearth of opportunities for them to participate in deciding Blizzard's destiny. After Bill Roper left Blizzard, he went on to co-found Flagship Studios.
During his employment by Blizzard, Roper worked in the following games:
- Blackthorne (1994) - Music
- Warcraft: Orcs & Humans (1994) - Producer, Voiceover, Documentation
- Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness (1995) - Design, Narration, Voiceover, Documentation
- Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal (1996) - Executive Producer, Story Consultant, Narration, Voiceover
- Diablo (1996) - Producer, Voice Production, Casting & Directing, Story, Voiceover, Documentation, Strike Team
- StarCraft (1998) - Producer, Voiceover, Documentation, Strike Team
- StarCraft: Brood War (1998) - Executive Producer, Voiceover, Documentation
- Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition (1999) - Producer
- Diablo II (2000) - Senior Producer, Voice Casting, Voiceover, Strike Team
- Diablo II: Lord of Destruction (2001) - Global Launch Team, Strike Team
- Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (2002) - Voiceover, Strike Team
- Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (2003) - Voiceover
Besides being a producer, a musician or a story consultant, Roper voiced several Warcraft universe characters.
In Warcraft: Orcs & Humans, Roper voiced all the units.
In Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness, Roper voiced the narrator, peons, grunts, footmen, the elves, and the ships of both Alliance and Horde. In Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal, he reprised his role as the narrator and also voiced Danath Trollbane, Grom Hellscream, and Kargath Bladefist. Additionally, he performed the vocals in the hidden song, "I'm a Medieval Man".
In Warcraft Adventures, Roper did not do any voice roles. Blizzard was using all union actors for the game, and because Roper wasn't in the union, he would have needed a special contract. However, Blizzard had planned to re-use some of his recordings from previous games.
In Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, Roper voiced the footmen, peons, and grunts, but didn't reprise his role as Grom Hellscream. In Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne he voiced the grunts again besides the recycled sounds of Reign of Chaos.
In World of Warcraft, the recycled voices of the grunts from Warcraft III are used during the quest . Because Roper had left Blizzard, he did not reprise his role as Kargath or Danath in World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade.