- For the server of the same name, see Server:Blackwing Lair US.
Blackwing Lair loading graphic
|Location||Upper Blackrock Spire, Blackrock Mountain|
Black dragonflight |
|Lockout timer||1 week|
In the dark recesses of the mountain's peak, Nefarian, the eldest son of Deathwing, conducts some of his most awful experimentation, controlling mighty beings like puppets and combining the eggs of different dragonflights with horrific results. Should he prove successful, even darker pursuits rest on the horizon.
And, yet, the Lord of Blackrock is not a mere scientist - he is a great dragon cornered in his lair. Can he truly be defeated by mortal hands?
Nefarian has vowed to crush Ragnaros. To this end, he has recently begun efforts to bolster the black dragonflight, much as his father Deathwing had attempted to do in ages past. However, where Deathwing failed, it now seems the scheming Nefarian may be succeeding. Nefarian's mad bid for dominance has attracted concern from the red dragonflight, which has always been the black flight's greatest foe. Though Nefarian's intentions are known, the methods he is using to achieve them remain a mystery. It is believed, however that Nefarian has been experimenting with the blood of all of the various dragonflights to produce unstoppable warriors, accomplishing what his father failed, the creation of the Chromatic dragonflight.
Besides the twisted dragonflight, other experiments took place in these halls, including manipulation with dragon bones and eggs. Nefarian also captured and corrupted Vaelastrasz, while his creation Chromaggus survived and guarded the lair.
Due to Moira Thaurissan who sent information on Nefarian and the Dark Horde all over Azeroth, the Horde leadership in Orgrimmar learned truth about their orc brethren in Blackrock Mountain. As such, Horde heroes invaded the lair, cut through the twisted experiments and slew Nefarian in his sanctuary. Although defeated, the Nefarian's broken corpse was later collected by the Twilight's Hammer cultists who brought him back with Void magic as an undead monstrosity.
Port in by using the Orb of Command located at the end of the hall to the right of the entrance to Blackrock Spire (The attunement quest is no longer necessary and has been removed from the game).
Maps and subregions
|Shadow Wing Lair|
|Halls of Strife (Death Talon room)|
|Halls of Strife (Suppression rooms)|
|Crimson Laboratories (Chromaggus' Lair)|
- Main article: Blackwing Lair loot
With Transmogrification many players want to run Blackwing Lair for the distinctive weapons, including , , and .
is found as a rare drop from the Blackwing Technician that inhabit the lair. This ore is used to smelt , needed for . Players can also learn .
- Most notably, bosses drop tier 2 set items.
- Blackwing Lair does not reward reputation for any faction.
- Blackwing Lair was involved in the now-removed Scepter of the Shifting Sands quest chain.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): With Upper Blackrock Spire now a level 100 instance, attunement is no longer required for Blackwing Lair. Players can now use the Orb of Command in Blackrock Mountain to zone into BWL without being attuned. However, the Orb does seem to require level 60 or higher.
- Patch 5.1.0 (2012-11-27): New battle pets are added to Blackwing Lair.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Scepter of the Shifting Sands quest chain removed.
- Patch 1.9.0 (2006-01-03): Blackwing Lair is now part of the Scepter of the Shifting Sands quest chain.
- Patch 1.8.0 (2005-10-10): There are now alchemy labs that are needed by alchemists to make flasks inside of Blackwing Lair.
- Hotfix (2005-07-19): A hot fix was applied to the game during today's maintenance to address the increased lag players were experiencing in Blackwing Lair. The fix will reduce the lag in BWL significantly, especially in the early encounters.
- Patch 1.6.1 (2005-08-02):
- Several encounters in Blackwing Lair now cause the front gate to close, preventing players from zoning out or joining an in-progress battle.
- The drakes in Blackwing Lair will no longer leave the lab.
- Hotfix (2005-07-14):
- Fixed several bugs that were allowing the first two encounters to be completed with very little effort.
- The door after the Vaelastrasz encounter has been fixed and should open under the proper circumstances, no longer posing as an impassible barrier.
- Patch 1.6.0 (2005-07-12): Added
- Elite Chaos - Blackwing Lair on Fileplanet.com