Blizzard SMS Protect is a mobile feature for one's Blizzard account. The feature sends notifications via text message when important changes have been made on the account.
Why should I use it?
When one can't log in, one can receive texts that can:
- Unlock the Blizzard account
- Remove a lost authenticator
- Recover the account name
- Approve a password reset
In addition, one can receive SMS notifications to help keep the account safe.
- Get a text message if the account is locked by a suspicious login attempt.
- Know immediately if the password has been changed.
- Be alerted when security features are changed on the account.
Eligibility & Limitations
It is designed for text-enabled cell phones. A Blizzard account can be linked to a single mobile number for SMS Protect. If the original phone was lost but plan to replace it and keep the same mobile number, SMS Protect can continue to work as it has before, since it's associated with that phone number rather than the device itself.
- A phone number can only be attached to one Blizzard account.
- SMS Protect messages are sent via text. Messaging apps like iMessage (iOS) or WhatsApp (iOS, Android) are not supported.
- Cell phones with prepaid plans may not work with the SMS Protect service.
- SMS Protect cannot be used with Voice over IP (VoIP), and VoIP numbers that are transferred to a local provider are not eligible for the service.
Attaching an Authenticator and SMS Protect to the Blizzard account, the account will receive the following benefits:
- A pet for World of Warcraft;
- Four extra backpack slots added to the default backpack for World of Warcraft;
- Load up to $350 as Blizzard Balance instead of being restricted to $110.
Removing the authenticator and or the SMS Protect afterwards will not remove the pet but will remove the extra backpack slots and reduce the Blizzard Balance load up back to $110.