As a magic school
As the name suggests, bloodmages use blood to perform their rituals. All blood is different, and the correct combinations are required to perform certain tasks. Contrary to popular belief, ancient and powerful bloodmages do not actually drink blood, but eat normal food like everybody else.
On Azeroth, it is shunned by many as a dark and forgotten art. In that and many other ways, it shares some distinct characteristics with demonic magic. Blood magic can be used to teleport via bloodstone teleporters, scry for information, and resurrect the dead. In addition to true resurrection, it can also be used to create undead as seen with the followers of G'huun in Nazmir.
On Draenor, the Bleeding Hollow clan was fond of using blood in their spells, including a ritual to create dire orcs and another to summon the powerful Blood Moon. They cut their own flesh, and Shadow Hunter Denjai described their magic as being like voodoo but hurting even more.
To survive the harsh desert lands of Tanaris the Sandfury trolls learned the secrets of blood magic - drinking blood allowed them to access the darkest voodoo powers. Several troll tribes including the Sandfury, Vilebranch and Gurubashi could deploy a class of warriors called the "Blood Drinkers", which wore heavy armor, used two-handed weapons and could leech blood from their enemies. Drakuru also had his own Blood Drinkers, which he used in Zul'Drak in the name of the Scourge. Hakkar the Soulflayer, the Loa of Blood, grows stronger with blood he consumes, and was the one who taught the Gurubashi trolls blood magic over a thousand years ago. Blood trolls worship the blood god G'huun and use blood magic. This magic corrupts the creatures around them and turns them into blood beasts. Lorewalker Cho claims the Zandalari use blood magic, though the Zandalari themselves forbid it. This may be because of the proximity of the blood trolls to Zuldazar, or perhaps because of the Zandalari's historical fight against Hakkar. It is referred to as the old ways, and the Zandalari have only given in to the allure since Zuldazar's wall to the north fell.
The modern death knights can also specialize in manipulating blood, giving them the ability to carve into their enemies, sustaining themselves with deadly sanguine strikes, while using the bloody, shattered remains of the dead to fortify their own defenses.
Notable blood magic users
- Bloodmage Drazial - Blasted Lands
- Bloodmage Lynnore - Blasted Lands
- Kasim Sharim - Blasted Lands
- Prince Tenris Mirkblood - Karazhan
- Lord Thorval - Acherus: The Ebon Hold
- Baelok - Icecrown
- Blood-Queen Lana'thel - Icecrown Citadel
- Mazoga - Tanaris
- Ra'sha - Isle of Thunder
- Fleshcrafter Hoku - Isle of Thunder
- Ahri'ok Dugru - Iron Docks
- Gor'thul - Spires of Arak
- Gorabosh - Tanaan Jungle
- Marak the Blooded - Blackrock Foundry
Types of blood magic casters
- Blood Wizard
- Sandfury Blood Drinker - Zul'Farrak
- Vilebranch Blood Drinker - Hinterlands
- Hakkari Blood Priest - Zul'Gurub
- Gurubashi Blood Drinker - Zul'Gurub
- Shadowmoon Blood Mage - Black Temple
- Bonechewer Blood Prophet - Black Temple
- Disciple of Blood - Acherus: The Ebon Hold
- Drakuru Blood Drinker - Zul'Drak
- Defias Blood Wizard - Deadmines
- Bloodwash Enchantress - Blasted Lands
- Shattered Hand Blood-Twister - Spires of Arak
- Iron Blood Mage - Highmaul
- Bleeding Hollow Ritualist - Tanaan Jungle
- Bleeding Hollow Herbalist - Tanaan Jungle
- Bleeding Hollow Cabalist - Tanaan Jungle
- According to lead narrative designer Steve Danuser, the initial premise for the Shadowlands zone of Revendreth was to explore the origins of blood magic and vampirism, the idea being that the magic used by forces like the San'layn and blood trolls originated with Revendreth's venthyr. This concept is not touched on in-game; although the venthyr are described as vampiric, they only use magic based on anima and not blood.
As death knights and san'layn were created through Domination magic (created by the Primus), and Mueh'zala uses blood magic during his encounter in De Other Side, there could be some relation to necromancy.
"Blood Ritualist" ability in the Horde Player's Guide.
- ^ a b
- ^ Jeremy Feasel on Twitter
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Game Manual, 10.
- ^ Bloodmage Lynnore#Quotes
- ^ a b
- ^ Troll Compendium/Other Trolls
- ^ World of Warcraft: Exploring Azeroth: The Eastern Kingdoms, pg. 55
- ^ MMO-Champion: The Art of World of Warcraft
- ^ Legion Class Preview Series: Death Knight
- ^ Cass Marshall 2020-07-23. Behold World of Warcraft: Shadowlands’ new vampire haven. Polygon. Retrieved on 2020-07-25.
- ^ WoW Blog/Revendreth and the Venthyr Covenant