|Language(s)||Goblin, Common, Zandali, Orcish, Gnomish, Taur-ahe|
|Affiliation(s)||Blackwater Raiders, Steamwheedle Cartel|
|Formerly||Kingdom of Stormwind|
|Location||Southern Cape of Stranglethorn|
- “This booming coastal city is run by Baron Revilgaz of the Blackwater Raiders. Mortal enemies of the Bloodsail Buccaneers and part of the Steamwheedle Cartel.”
- — Faction in-game description
Booty Bay is a large pirate port city nestled into the cliffs surrounding a beautiful blue lagoon on the southern tip of Stranglethorn Vale. The city is entered by traversing through the bleached-white jaws of a giant shark.
- 1 History
- 2 Shops and services
- 3 NPCs
- 4 Travel connections
- 5 Quests
- 6 Reputation
- 7 In Warcraft III
- 8 In the RPG
- 9 A pirate shanty
- 10 Notes and trivia
- 11 Speculation
- 12 Gallery
- 13 Patch changes
- 14 See also
- 15 References
- 16 External links
The area was previously known as the Blackwater Cove and was described as a large, sheltered, semi-circular cove surrounded by cliffs at the southern end of Stranglethorn Vale. It was a former small port town inhabited by humans which was overrun by jungle trolls. Eventually, the goblins of the Steamwheedle Cartel managed to drive out the trolls from the immediate area to claim the shores of the cove for their new center for operations in the Eastern Kingdoms — Booty Bay. This happened prior to the First War, as Booty Bay was already territory of the Steamwheedle Cartel by then.
World of Warcraft
Run by the Blackwater Raiders who are closely associated with the Steamwheedle Cartel, the port offers facilities to any traveler passing through, regardless of their faction. Combined with the world-renowned Salty Sailor Tavern, it is one of the most popular locations in Azeroth.
Baron Revilgaz, ruler of this city, is hiring all the help he can get against the pesky Bloodsail Buccaneers and other threats of the city. He resides, together with the leader of the Blackwater Raiders, Fleet Master Seahorn, at the top of the inn of Booty Bay.
The water there occasionally has floating wreckage and schools of fish. The Schools that are most often are Firefin Snappers, Oily Blackmouths, and Stonescale Eels. Fishing in the floating wreckage will also give you very high chances of fishing out chests and items, making Booty Bay an ideal place for fishing.
Booty Bay is located at Blackwater Cove, a large, sheltered, semi-circular cove surrounded by cliffs at the southern end of Stranglethorn Vale. It was a former small port town inhabited by humans which was overrun by trolls. Eventually, the goblins managed to drive out the trolls from the immediate area to claim the shores of the cove for their new center for operations in the Eastern Kingdoms — Booty Bay.
During the Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza, level 71 Booty Bay Elites are present, guarding the fishing quest givers.
Legends: An Honest Trade
At some point, a famous dwarven blacksmith, Nori Blackfinger, lived and had a shop called Black Finger in the town. It is unknown what happened with the shop after Nori's presumed death.
Pearl of Pandaria
Li Li arrived in Booty Bay, which Chen had told her about in his letters as a place where many of his adventures had begun. In the Salty Sailor Tavern, a gnome privateer recognized her as a pandaren and said he hadn't seen one since he met Chen Stormstout. Li Li bought the gnome drinks if he told her the tale; he was part of a crew that attacked a ship from Stormwind that Chen happened to be on. While Chen fought them all off, the gnome stole a small box from him which he still had. Li Li demanded the gnome hand it over to her, threatening to knock out his teeth and also promising to buy him another beer. As she turned to leave with her prize, Strongbo appeared and told her to return to the Wandering Isle. Li Li, having expected him, told a pair of goblin bruisers that he took her rocket mount. As Bo fought them off, Li Li ran off into the jungles of Stranglethorn Vale on her way to Stormwind and the ship Chen was on.
Tensions between Booty Bay and the Bloodsail Buccaneers have come to a head.
The statue of an unknown goblin on Janeiro's Point was partially damaged due to a tidal wave caused by the Cataclysm, exposing hidden treasure inside. The large red cannons have fallen into the sea, and flotsam and jetsam can be seen littered around the harbor. Booty Bay has been partially damaged.
Vol'jin once visited the town in order to warn Revilgaz about the new threat of the trolls.
During , as soon as the is collected, Booty Bay turns into a phased area where the whole town is on fire, the port is blockaded, and Brashtide Raiders storm the area. Many NPCs are still in town, many of those based outside showing themselves to be in terror, others have stationed themselves outside their buildings ready for a fight.
Quest for Pandaria
|This section is a lore stub.|
Shops and services
- Old Port Authority
- A Tailor to Cities
- Deep South Tannery
- Tan-Your-Hide Leatherworks
- Boucher's Cauldron
- All Things Flora
- The Happy Bobber
- Black Finger
- Southern Skies Platform
- Kalimdor Airlines
- Stranglethorn Trust Bank
- The Salty Sailor Tavern
Please add any available information to this section.
- See Stranglethorn Quests.
|Quests||500||x 40 and x 4|
|Mobs||2.5||12.5 Rep for Named NPCs|
|2.5||7.5 Rep for Named NPCs|
|2.5||12.5 Rep for Named NPCs|
|2.5||12.5 Rep for Named NPCs|
|5||25 Rep for Named NPCs ; unnamed until honored only|
|5||Only those in Stranglethorn Vale and Grizzly Hills|
In Warcraft III
In the RPG
This dangerous little town is the home base for the pirates who traffic off the southwestern coast of Azeroth. Inhabited mostly by goblins and ruled by Baron Revilgaz, Booty Bay is home to the Blackwater Raiders, a group of notorious pirates comprised of goblins, humans, and many others who swore them allegiance. After a raid, these pirates send their loot up the road to the Arena to sell, or even further into Azeroth.
A pirate shanty
- Well we hate to see her go,
- But we love to watch her leave!
- She'll do her best for William
- And Wes and Mike and Steve!
- Her name is spread both far and wide!
- Her legend is renowned!
- They call her Broadside Betty,
- She's the roundest game in town!
- So if you've mind to travel south,
- Be sure to stop and play!
- 'Cause she's the real reason
- That they call it Booty Bay!
Notes and trivia
- Spider egg omelette was a fad there.
- According Flynn Fairwind, Booty Bay rum is made up of lots of spices and nectar, and would be very pleasant to drink.
- Zul'Gurub Protector Stones are hanging on several buildings in Booty Bay.
- Foreman Razelcraz is from Booty Bay.
- At some point, a tol'vir came to Booty Bay and spoke with Li Li Stormstout. While the time is not specified, it could have happened during the events of Quest for Pandaria when Li Li and Chen visited the town prior to the discovery of Pandaria.
- During the alpha phase of World of Warcraft's initial development, Booty Bay was named Blackwater Cove and was designed differently. The name Darkwater Cove was also used at some point. However, with the way boat transportation was going to work (with boats needing space for their travel arc), change was needed. Booty Bay was one of the first areas that got textured in-game and was used as a proving ground for many of WoW's frame rate issues.
- Mark Kern originally wanted Booty Bay to include an easter egg in the form of a three-headed monkey, as a reference to a running gag from the Monkey Island adventure games (a series that Kern was a big fan of). The monkey would have been an NPC who popped up at random before quickly disappearing again, never allowing players to clap eyes on it for very long, mimicking the behavior of the three-headed monkey from Monkey Island. Kern received permission to add the easter egg from his friend Ron Gilbert, one of the original designers of Monkey Island, but to his regret he never got the opportunity to implement the monkey as the developers were kept busy by WoW's stressful development cycle.
- The favored pet of the goblins of Booty Bay is the senegal, renowned for its ability to count coins, tally budgets, and lie about contracts.
- Initially in the Mists of Pandaria beta, it was said that the Horde would reestablish a supply route to Booty Bay.
- The bay features as an attraction in the Blizzard World map in Overwatch.
Blackwater Cove was presumably one Stormwind's settlements that sparked the Gurubashi War. This war was sparked when Stormwind made settlements in Stranglethorn and angered the Gurubashi trolls, which matches the description of trolls driving humans out of Blackwater Cove before it became Booty Bay.
- Fan art
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): The quests and give no more reputation.
- ^ a b c
- ^ a b c : Most likely Velinde found a trading vessel in Ratchet to take her to Blackwater Cove in Azeroth.
- ^ The World of Warcraft Townhall/World Map
- ^ Original Stranglethorn Vale description
- ^ The Artistry of World of Warcraft: Stranglethorn Vale (PC)
- ^ : Velinde. Booked passage to Booty Bay on the Black Osprey.
- ^ File:Chronicle2 Eastern Kingdoms Before the First War.jpg
- ^ World of Warcraft: The Comic Prologue
- ^ World of Warcraft: Exploring Azeroth: The Eastern Kingdoms, pg. 40
- ^ 'Official Blizzard Warcraft 3 multiplayer maps from the game and its expansion.
- ^ Lands of Conflict pg. 56
- ^ Alliance Player's Guide pg. 159
- ^ Warcraft: Legends Volume 4, Bloodsail Buccaneer
- ^ World of Warcraft: Exploring Azeroth: The Eastern Kingdoms, pg. 39
- ^ File:Booty Bay Alpha.jpg - Compare the alpha docks with the modern ones
- ^ Countdown To Classic: Episode #63 – The Making Of World Of Warcraft With Vanilla Dev, John Staats (around 2:32:00) (2018-08-20). Retrieved on 2018-09-24.
- ^ wowcrendor 2018-10-17. Fishing with Crendor Ep 44: Mark Kern (Team Lead for Vanilla WoW). YouTube. Retrieved on 2019-03-16.
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 2, pg. 106
|Booty Bay zone||Blackwater Cove||Booty Bay faction|