|Line 1:||Line 1:|
| image =
| image = .jpg
| name = Chen Stormstout
| name = Chen Stormstout
| gender = Male
| gender = Male
Revision as of 21:38, 16 August 2012
|Location||Valley of the Four Winds, Stormstout Brewery|
Li Li (niece)|
Mab, Liao, Auntie (ancestors)
Gao, Evie, Han, Big Dan, Mama (distant relatives)
- To ask why we fight, is to ask why leaves fall; it is in their nature. Perhaps there is a better question. Why do we fight? To protect home and family. To preserve balance and bring harmony. For my kind the true question is: what is worth fighting for?
Little is known about Chen's early life except that he was born and raised on the Wandering Isle. Because of this, he was unable to visit his ancestral homeland of Pandaria. Eventually he left the Wandering Isle to explore the world for new brewing ingredients not found in his home.
The Founding of Durotar
Chen's journeys eventually brought him to the land of Durotar, and his latest brew had a plethora of strange ingredients that he feared would be too hard to acquire. He almost lost hope for his recipe when he was met by Rexxar the travelling Beastmaster. Chen asked Rexxar to retrieve the ingredients for his brew - a barrel of Thunderwater, the egg of a thunder phoenix, and a sprig of thunderbloom.
Chen was overjoyed when Rexxar returned with the ingredients, and then mixed his special brew and offered some to Rexxar, who nearly toppled over from the shock of the volatile beverage! Then Rexxar asked if Chen was trying to kill him, probably in the rhetorical sense but possibly not.
Chen surmised that he would have to further examine the recipe, having completed one phase of his journey, Chen decided to pause his brewing and join Rexxar's adventure, so that he might better appreciate this beautiful, rugged land he had found himself in.
Chen and company went on a secret mission to Theramore Island to help the Horde find out why the humans were attacking them. They met with Jaina Proudmoore, who decided to help them out, after seeing what her father had done. Chen helped Rexxar to defend Thrall and Durotar from Kul Tiras incursions. When the Horde was prepared they launched an attack that ended with the death of Grand Admiral Proudmoore.
After the battle Chen spent some time in Durotar teaching the brewmaster ways to the mentor of Brewmaster Drohn before travelling on. No one knows where he left afterwards, but several of his empty kegs have been found scattered throughout the Barrens. Like the rest of his people, he has apparently maintained his independence, joining neither the Horde nor the Alliance.
In World of Warcraft
Chen's existence is hinted at when Horde players find any of the many scattered around the Barrens. Finding one of these kegs can start a player on the short Quest:Chen's Empty Keg quest chain (3 quests) from Brewmaster Drohn who also gives a few bits of lore.
I would like to introduce you to a long-time friend of mine: you will find this kindly pandaren monk is a most wonderful traveling companion.
May he lead you to new adventures across the face of Azeroth and beyond!
-- Chen Stormstout
Mists of Pandaria
During the assault of Theramore, Chen Stormstout will be visiting the local cities and get players excited about what is coming.
It was confirmed at BlizzCon 2011 that Chen Stormstout will finally be appearing in-game in the fourth expansion, Mists of Pandaria. Chen will be particularly involved in the beginning quests of the Valley of the Four Winds, where he will be visiting Pandaria for the first time with his niece, Li Li, his distant family's brewery, Stormstout Brewery as well as the dungeon encompassing the building. Other than exploring Pandaria, Chen's goal appears to be to reestablish contact with the Pandaria Stormstout branch, having been separated when Shen-zin Su stopped returning to the mainland.
Chen Stormstout also narrates the opening cinematic of the expansion.
Chen is involved in the following quests in the Valley of the Four Winds:
- Quest:Chen and Li Li
- Quest:A Neighbor's Duty
- Quest:A Lesson in Bravery
- Quest:Great Minds Drink Alike
- Quest:Leaders Among Breeders
- Quest:The Warren-Mother
- Quest:Broken Dreams
- Quest:Chen's Resolution
- Quest:Hop Hunting
- Quest:Stormstout's Hops
- Quest:Li Li and the Grain
- Quest:The Chen Taste Test
- Quest:Doesn't Hold Water
- Quest:Barreling Along
- Quest:The Emperor
- Quest:Knocking on the Door
- Quest:Clear the Way
- Quest:Cleaning House (Valley of the Four Winds)
- Is trouble brewing?
- You seem a little parched.
- Hah, he-hey!
- Sit down, have a drink.
- So, got any stories?
More on click quotes
- Oh yeah! This stuff'll put hair all over you.
- To ask why I drink is to ask why I am fat. It is because I drink. Perhaps there is a better question.
- Why do I drink? To quench my thirst. To lower my inhibitions. To make women appear more attractive.
- For my kind, the true question is: Where is the bathroom?
- You know what is better than drinking a beer?
- Brewing your own bear. And then drinking it.
- And then... Drinking another beer.
- And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!
- It looks like our paths have crossed again, <name>. At a pig farm of all places.
- I enjoy this valley. It almost feels like... home. The green fields, the big sky... I've even heard mention that there's a big brewery down the road. Maybe it's time I settled down once and for all.
- <Chen looks off into the distance for a few long seconds, then shrugs his shoulders.>
- Or maybe not.
Chen Stormstout is a special Neutral Ally card in the World of Warcraft TCG Fires of Outland set. It is a special card that can be used by both Horde and Alliance players in the game. This mirrors the official lore as it appeared in previous material, in which Chen Stormstout's was a Neutral Hero in Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, originating from a neutral and Independent race as stated in the Role Playing Game and other published lore.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Added.
- A likely relative of Chen is Mojo Stormstout.
- The random Pandaren Brewmaster Masha Storm-Stout may be related to Chen.
- Since Chen Stormstout did not come from the hidden land of Pandaria, but rather the Wandering Isle and combining that with the knowledge that there are native Stormstout on Pandaria it only means one thing. That there are two branches of the Stormstout family, with one branch relocating to Shen-zin Su, and the main branch deciding to remain behind on Pandaria.
- ^ "The Founding of Durotar: To Tame a Land", Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Blizzard Entertainment. Durotar. Chen Stormstout.
- ^ "The Founding of Durotar: Old Hatreds", Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Blizzard Entertainment. Coastal Base.
- ^ "The Founding of Durotar: A Blaze of Glory", Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Blizzard Entertainment.
- ^ http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/03/19/mists-of-pandaria-march-2012-faq/
- ^ http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6352745494#8
- ^ http://www.wowpedia.org/TCG_Outlands/192
- ^ Mists of Pandaria Press Tour - Official FAQ. MMO-Champion (2012-03-19). Retrieved on 2012-03-19.