- For the world boss, see Chi-Ji (tactics).
|Title||<The Red Crane>|
|Race||August celestial (Beast)|
|Student(s)||Emperor Shaohao, Anduin Wrynn|
- "Hope is the sun behind a stormy sky.
- Ever in the heart, but veiled to the eye."
Chi-Ji the Red Crane is one of the four creatures known as the August Celestials who watch over Pandaria. Chi-Ji watches over the Valley of the Four Winds and Krasarang Wilds and is sometimes referred to as the Southern Celestial or the Spirit of Hope. As such, he is served by the Crane Wing order.
- 1 History
- 2 Locations
- 3 Quests
- 4 Quotes
- 5 Notes and trivia
- 6 Videos
- 7 Patch changes
- 8 References
- 9 External links
- Main article: August Celestial#Early history
The mogu empire
The Burdens of Shaohao
When Shaohao began his journey across Pandaria, at some point the emperor fell to marsh. Without hope, Chi-Ji flew above him and made him realize that he need to hope once again to save himself.
Mists of Pandaria
Shortly before the emergence of sha, Anduin Wrynn trained with him for a short time. Thanks to the efforts of Anduin and the champions of the Horde and the Alliance, Chi-Ji and his Temple of the Red Crane were freed of the corruption of the Sha of Despair.
Chi-Ji helps the adventurer atop the Pedestal of Hope in defeating Ellia Ravenmane, who has forsaken Chi-Ji's hope and become possessed by a sha. After the fight Chi-Ji thanks the adventurer, telling them that they embodied the Way of the Crane.
Chi-Ji also granted his powers to an adventurer who was about to kill Zhao-Jin the Bloodletter.
At some point, new members to the Golden Lotus were about to be chosen. Chi-Ji appeared in the Shrine of Two Moons and informed Dezco that one of his newly kids will become a part of the defenders of the valley. Dezco, however, did not want to leave his kids and chose to leave the valley. During the attempt, he was attacked by the Shao-Tien mogu. As he battled, he crushed Cloudhoof, and Redhorn got poisoned. As he lowered him to a pool, Chi-Ji appeared and healed the kid but left before Dezco called for help for Cloudhoof.
In A Little Patience, Chi-Ji watched King Varian Wrynn as if the scenario were a test, asking "Will the wolf behave as a warrior... or a King?" At the end of the conflict, Chi-Ji seemed satisfied with the king's performance but stated that there would be more trials ahead, perhaps referring to the Trials of the High King.
As part of Wrathion's legendary journey, he and an adventurer visited the Red Crane in order to get his blessing.
The trial of Chi-Ji is a test of hope. Uncertain of the future of his people, Emperor Shaohao sought out the great Red Crane. The Great Crane challenged Shaohao to find the hope within himself and cast off his uncertainty. Once the Sha of Doubt was vanquished, the Emperor became a beacon of hope for his people. To pass the trial of the Crane, warriors must believe in hope, even in the darkest of days.
Siege of Orgrimmar
During the quest , the celestials alongside the ghost of Shaohao, Lorewalker Cho and Adventurer gathered around to begin to heal the Vale. As he stands before the tree, he knew in the end that there was still hope in this world.
- This tree stands as a symbol of hope. Hope that the land might in time be healed and made stronger by your deeds.
Chi-Ji and other Celestials chose to hold a trial involving the members of the Alliance and Horde rather than sentence Garrosh Hellscream among themselves. During the trial, Chi-Ji took the form of a blood elf as a show of respect to the gathered races.
Battle for Azeroth
Chi-Ji and the other August Celestials defended the Vale of Eternal Blossoms from the Black Empire.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Temple of the Red Crane||90||3,939,410|
|Cradle of Chi-Ji||??||3,939,410|
|Cradle of Chi-Ji||90||39,394,100|
|A Little Patience||90||114,940|
|Vale of Eternal Blossoms||90||114,940|
- The Burdens of Shaohao Part 2—Despair
- Chi-Ji: Why do you struggle so?
- Shaohao: I have lost my friend, my kingdom! It is hopeless!
- Chi-Ji: Your friend is not lost. You are.
Mists of Pandaria
<The crane does not speak, but his words fill your mind.>
Go... while you can...
All is... lost.
- Do you seek my counsel?
- Are you well?
- Greetings, wanderer.
- We must never give in to despair.
- Hope is eternal.
- Peace be with you.
- Main article: In the House of the Red Crane#Notes
- Main article: The Final Power#Notes
- Main article: A Little Patience#Stage Guide
- Main article: Celestial Blessings#Notes
- Main article: Chi-Ji (tactics)#Quotes
- Main article: Time-Lost Shrine
Notes and trivia
- Like the Dragon Aspects, the August Celestials have the ability to take on mortal forms. During the trial of Garrosh Hellscream, Chi-Ji took the form of a slender, red-headed blood elf male with golden wings that Baine Bloodhoof initially mistook for a cape.
- While both Niuzao and Xuen can be strongly aligned to two different monk specializations (Brewmasters and Windwalkers, respectively), Mistweaver monks have abilities themed around both Yu'lon (, and formerly ) and Chi-Ji (, , , and formerly ).
- Chi-Ji is a reference to the Vermilion Bird in the four symbols of Chinese mythology. The word Chi means bright red (赤) in Chinese.
- Chi-Ji is voiced by Liam O'Brien.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Added.