|Affiliation(s)||Black dragonflight, Schnottz's crew|
|Location||Various in Uldum|
Commander Schnottz is a key character in Uldum.
Schnottz commands a sizable armed force in the area, but his motives remain a mystery which adventurers must find out. Through the quest chain at Schnottz's Landing, Schnottz becomes the target of an assassination attempt by an unknown figure and ultimately blames the player whom he tries to execute by firing squad. It is then that players discover the Commander is a servant of Deathwing the Destroyer sent to Uldum to discover the "Ultimate Weapon" capable of destroying all life on Azeroth. Harrison Jones arrives at the nick of time to save the player which forces Schnottz to retreat to the Temple of Uldum. Schnottz is not seen again until Jones and the player storm the temple to get to the artifact before him. In order to stop the duo permanently, he unleashes an Obsidian Colossus which is subsequently demolished. Schnottz next ambushes the pair just as they are about to claim the Coffer of Promise. As the duo watch helplessly, Schnottz and his black dragon companions begin to destroy the coffer, but the unexpected occurs. Brann Bronzebeard, out of nowhere, activates the Coffer's defenses which proceed to kill the two dragons and obliterate Schnottz, leaving a smoking skeleton where the wicked goblin once stood.
Despite this, he somehow survived, and as Balloon Commander Schnottz he is a part of the Spring Balloon Festival.
He is directly involved in the following quests:
- Gossip during Spring Balloon Festival
Happy Balloon Day! Interested in a balloon ride?
Notes and trivia
- Commander Schnottz is based on an amalgamation of various Nazi villains throughout fiction, as well as some real-life Nazi members.
- Primarily he is a reference to the Nazi villains in the Indiana Jones franchise. Specifically, he is probably based on Arnold Toht and Colonel Dietrich due to the circumstances of Schnottz's death and his name, which bears a slight phonetic similarity.
- Schnottz's personality is seemingly based on Adolf Hitler himself. Everything about Schnottz's life, such as his thirst for ruling Azeroth, his dialect, and his quote "NINE NINE NINE NINE NINE!" (which is a reference to the film Inglourious Basterds where Hitler repeatedly yells "no" in German), seems to be inspired by Hitler. A part of his quest line may also be a reference to the movie Valkyrie when his building is blown up and you are sentenced to death by firing squad. Belloc Brightblade also refers to him as the "furrier", a take on the word "Führer" (German for "leader"), which is commonly used to refer to Hitler. His nose ring may also be a take on Hitler's famous moustache. The turkey Gobbles is likely a reference to Joseph Goebbels, Hitler's Minister of Propaganda, while also being a pun on a turkey's call. Schnottz sends players to hunt , a nickname for the renowned German field marshal Erwin Rommel. Belloc Brightblade refers to Schnottz's practice of dressing his soldiers in snappy uniforms as "fashionism". Schnottz Sea Troopers may be a pun on Nazi Troopers.
- His name and some of his quotes also seem to be a reference to the 1960s American television program, Hogan's Heroes, with his character and name being a combination of Colonel Klink and Sergeant Schultz from the series.
- Practically any Nazi reference works here, with the age of the individual seeing Schnottz having a lot to do with whichever one springs to mind. As previously stated, he's more an amalgamation of a wide range of Nazi characters and historical figures, than just a specific reference.
- Due to his bad German accent, Schnottz says his words differently, like 'Deathwing' as Deazhvinkh'.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Added.