Commander Stoutbeard is a boss located in the Hall of Stasis in The Nexus. He is only available in Heroic mode. While the fight is a fairly simple tank and spank, he does cast Whirlwind quite often and non-plate melee need to get away without being hit, as they will be basically one-shotted. The range of Whirlwind seems quite wide and hits for over 20K on leather.
This fight is a carbon copy of the boss encountered by Alliance players, Commander Kolurg, with the obvious exception that he isn't an orc.
Commander Stoutbeard led his troops against some of the most dangerous enemies of the Alliance. The Halls of Stasis may have slowed him down, but the sight of Horde adventurers will get him up and running again.
- Whirlwind — Commander Stoutbeard attacks all players within 0 yards in a whirlwind of steel, inflicting Physical damage.
- Battle Shout — Commander Stoutbeard increases the melee attack power of nearby allies for 2 min.
- Charge — Commander Stoutbeard charges a player, inflicting Physical damage and stunning them for 2 sec.
- Frightening Shout — Commander Stoutbeard releases a terrifying yell, fearing all players within 0 yards for 6 sec.
Avoid his whirlwind at all costs. He also comes with two priest healers who respawn on wipes.
The strategy is mainly tank and spank and to make sure that you pull him far back enough that fear wont attract more enemies. Melee should watch out for whirlwind by standing at max melee range and moving away once you see the animation and tank should keep boss far away from any casters. Depending on the group depends on the order of killing the extra priests.
- What? Where in the...don't just stand around, lads! Kill somebody!
- Killing a player
- Now we're gettin' somewhere!
- Is that all you...got...
(Note that this video contains multiple bosses and not just this one. Also note that this is from an Alliance perspective and shows Commander Kolurg rather than Stoutbeard.)
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Added.