- "CoC" redirects here. For the Twilight Highlands event, see Crucible of Carnage.
- For other uses, see Cone of Cold (disambiguation).
|Cone of Cold|
Cone of Cold is a level 18 Frost mage spell that deals frost damage to all enemies in front of the caster. It is a point-blank Area of Effect spell. The area of effect is a 90 degree arc region (a "cone") extending 12 yards in front of the caster. The spell also snares all enemies it hits with a 70% speed reduction for 5 seconds.
Tips and tactics
Cone of Cold is hard to use while running, despite its instant casting time. Slight lag will make the cone occasionally point in odd directions, or at odd angles if the caster is also turning. The cone will always point in the direction the caster is facing, even while moving in one direction but facing another, such as when jumping, falling or strafing. To make sure you hit your target, try to be standing still or moving straight backwards when you cast, the cone will then always be where you expect it.
When under the effects of Cone of Cold, enemies are moving at 70% speed. Considering that backwards movement is 50% of normal running speed, it's possible to Cone of Cold a target, then backpedal while casting instant spells, although skillful strafing will always be preferable.
- Cone of Cold is a common mage spell in Hearthstone. The flavor text reads: "Magi of the Kirin Tor were casting Cubes of Cold for many years before Cones came into fashion some 90 years ago."
- Cone of Cold is one of Jaina's Basic Abilities in Heroes of the Storm.
- Patch 7.2.5 (2017-06-13): Cone of Cold damage increased by 170%.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Now available only to Frost. Damage increased by 20%. Now slows for 70% (up from 60%) for 5 seconds (down from 6 seconds).
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Cooldown increased to 12 seconds (up from 10).
- Patch 1.6.0 (2005-07-12): Targets that are immune to movement slowing effects will no longer be affected by Cone of Cold's movement slowing effect. Damage will still be caused.
- Patch 0.9 (2004-08-17): Area of effect has been widened at its base, so it should be much easier to use on targets that are close to the Mage.
- Patch 0.7 (2004-06-15): Mana cost, duration, damage and cooldown increased.
- Patch 0.6 (2004-04-13): Added.
- Frost AoE Grinding
- , TCG card