|Race||Dark Iron dwarf (Humanoid)|
|Location||Grim Guzzler, Blackrock Depths|
|Relative(s)||Ursula Direbrew, Ilsa Direbrew|
Coren Direbrew can be found in Blackrock Depths during Brewfest. Players may fight him endlessly, in order to obtain his trinket collections. The , and drops however, are only available via the daily drop bags.
The original Brewfest was a contest held by Chen Stormstout and Grimbooze Thunderbrew to decide which of the two made the better beer. However, Coren fought and whined his way into the contest as well. While Chen and Grimbooze were quite even in votes on their drinks, Coren only had two votes - one from himself, and one that Chen had given him out of pity. Angered, Coren attacked, but was knocked into the air by Chen and landed in an open keg, getting soaked in beer. Fuming, Coren climbed out and stalked off. Since that day, Coren and his minions have attacked every Brewfest annually.
Coren is not only unable to let go of a grudge, but remains sensitive about his work. While his current Dire Brew is an excellent product, he will not suffer critics, and the last person to insult his brew was fed to dire boars.
Attacks and abilities
- Melee: Deals 4000-6000 damage (depending on armor).
- Direbrew Disarm: 4 second cast. 7 yard range. Deals 300% of his normal melee damage. Similar to whirlwind, disarms all players in range for 4 seconds.
- Note to tanks: Coren is not immune to taunt.
- Barreled!: Used by Ursula Direbrew. Inflicts 131-269 melee damage, slows targets movement by 30% and disorients the target for 8 seconds. May be cast on tank. (Note to warrior tanks: Berserker Rage does not make you immune to this ability. The PVP trinket does not remove it, either.)
- Chuck Mug: 3 second cast by Ilsa and Ursula Direbrew, deals up to 200 melee damage. Spawns in target's inventory.
- Dark Brewmaiden's Stun: Cast by Ilsa and Ursula Direbrew. 6 second stun.
- Dark Brewmaiden's Brew: Drink to avoid Dark Brewmaiden's Stun.
- Dark Iron Antagonists: Deal minor melee damage up to ~320.
Fight starts with the boss and 3 regular adds. Defeat them quickly and then nuke the boss. Occasionally drills will spawn (like during the Dark Iron Attack at Brewfest proper), knocking players back and spawning another add. Ranged DPS and healers need to avoid Coren Direbrew's melee range, or they may be disarmed and receive heavy damage. Otherwise, put damage on the boss while taking care of adds, specifically killing the brew maidens quickly so there's less chance they can stun someone if they're slow to use the tossed drink.
- Spawns increase as Direbrew's health drops, so sub-20%, focus on the boss. Adds despawn when the boss dies.
- It is quite possible to ignore the adds if the group is well geared, particularly with a Paladin tank.
- It is possible to do it with Healer, Tank, and 1 DPS.
- It is possible for a Shaman's Earth Elemental to tank this fight with very good healing.
- It is possible to constantly fear the weak adds and ignore them the entire fight.
- Relatively easy, has 15.2 million HP and deals 5000-7000 melee damage per attack.
Ilsa & Ursula Direbrew:
- "Get rid of the brew before she tosses you another one!" - Avoids "Dark Brewmaiden's Stun" - "You were bonked on the head. Next time, drink up!"
- useful macro here (hit key ev'ry time icon lights up): /use Dark Brewmaiden's Brew
- If all group members make sure that they have a full inventory before the fight starts, the brewmaidens cannot toss a brew into your inventory and you will not be stunned. It is then safe to completely ignore Ilsa, who does minimal damage otherwise.
- Ursula starts throwing barrels ~16 seconds after spawning. As she likes to barrel the tank, it's recommended to kill her quickly, she only has ~20k HP. The Tank should ignore her as she barrels the target highest on her aggrolist and a barreled player loses aggro from all mobs instantly. She respawns periodically after being killed.
- Another strategy for Ursula is to set a hunter's pet (with growl turned on) on her and then ignore her. The damage she does is minimal and she will periodically 'keg' the pet, but no one else.
Dark Iron Antagonists:
- Deal minor melee damage, but can overwhelm a cloth wearer, especially if they are being AoE tanked and the tank becomes Barreled! Recommended to use or other AoE.
In a nutshell
- Tank and spank.
- Drink the ales that are thrown at you
- Ignore the trash mobs.
As of 2017, all items - including those in the Keg-Shaped Treasure Chest - scale to your character level when you acquire them.
Keg-Shaped Treasure Chest Loot
- The is a reward given only for the first completion (per day, per character) of the "Coren Direbrew" Dungeon Finder instance run. Like the , this container is placed in the character's inventory (or mail, if inventory is full).
- The Keg-Shaped Treasure Chest always has 10-15x with a possible chance to get one or multiple of the following:
2016 / 2017
Previous years loot
2014 / 2015
2011 / 2012
2009 / 2010
Since normal loot rules applied to these items, in 2009 a person could 'farm' Coren for one of those drops, as long as they could continue inviting people into the group who had not started the event (IE make Coren hostile) that day. The 2010 event enforces that each character only has one chance per day to get one of the special items through the keg.
- Intro (repeated)
- Coren Direbrew says: This is an insult! An affront! They deny us participation in time-honored dwarven traditions!
- Coren Direbrew says: Are we going to hide in our mountain and let those swill-peddlers have their little shindig without us?!
- Any three responses of:
- Dark Iron Antagonist says: NO!
- Dark Iron Antagonist says: No way!
- Dark Iron Antagonist says: Not on your life!
- Coren Direbrew says: DAMN RIGHT! We'll show 'em why you don't cross the Dark Iron dwarves!
- Any three responses of:
- Dark Iron Antagonist says: Right!
- Dark Iron Antagonist says: Yeah!
- Dark Iron Antagonist says: Damn straight!
- Dark Iron Antagonist says: You said it!
- Coren Direbrew yells: Smash their kegs! DRAIN BREWFEST DRY!
- Ye've got some stones, lad, comin' in here unannounced.
- What do ye want?
Insult Coren Direbrew's brew.
- What?! What did ye say?! How dare ye! Me beer can stand up to any of that rot they serve at Brewfest!
- You'll pay for this insult, <class>!
- Nothing is said, 'cancels' insult.
- Coren Direbrew says: You'll pay for this insult, <class>!
- Dark Iron Antagonist says: Never cross a Dark Iron, <Class>.
- Dark Iron Antagonist says: Feel the power of the Dark Iron Dwarves!
- Dark Brewmaiden's Brew
- Ilsa Direbrew yells: Someone looks thirsty!
- Ursula Direbrew spawns
- Ursula Direbrew yells: Looks like you need a hand, Ilsa.
- Coren Direbrew yells: Your Brewfest is a sham! One day, everyone will recognize that Dire Brew is the best!
Paladin Tanking: Coren Direbrew - Brewfest - World of Warcraft - September 23, 2008
- Hotfix (2017-09-22): Healing should now scale properly with player level.
- Patch 7.2.5 (2017-06-13): Coren Direbrew now scales to the player's level, starting at 46.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Updated to level 112. Encounter now has fight quotes.
- Patch 6.2.0 (2015-06-23): Updated to level 102.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Updated to level 92.
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28): Updated to level 87.
- Patch 3.2.0 (2009-08-04): Updated to level 82.
- Patch 2.4.3 (2008-07-15): Added.