Council of Six
The Council of Six in Legion.
|Main leader||Archmage Khadgar|
Blood elf |
|Base of operations||Chamber of Air, Violet Citadel|
|Theater of operations||Dalaran, Broken Isles|
|Affiliation||Kirin Tor, Dalaran, Alliance|
|Formerly||Alliance of Lordaeron|
The Council of Six, also known as The Six, the High Council or the Ruling Council, is the name given to the Kirin Tor high council of Dalaran. These six individuals are the leaders of both the city and all territories under the control of Dalaran. The Six are usually the most senior, but not necessarily the most gifted. They are chosen by several means, magic but one of them.
The council meets in the Chamber of Air, a room with no visible walls — the gray stone floor with its central diamond symbol stood beneath an open sky that shifted and changed rapidly, as if the time sped past within the chamber.
Traditionally, the membership of the Council of Six was kept a strict secret. When someone met with the Council officially, it was always in a special, enchanted chamber, the Chamber of Air, and the Six would be disguised to keep their identity a secret. Of course, in a city populated by magi, such efforts were not always successful, as Khadgar proved with little effort.
Since the reconstruction of Dalaran following the Third War, the Council has chosen to abandon the secrecy of its members. At some point after the attack on Theramore, Vargoth joined the council. Near the beginning of the Burning Legion's third invasion, Khadgar called for a vote to have the Horde return to Dalaran. Jaina was vehemently opposed, especially after the events of the Broken Shore, but she was outnumbered with only Ansirem Runeweaver voting no alongside her. Jaina left Dalaran in anger and Khadgar became the council's leader. When the council next assembled, Kalecgos was seen as the sixth in Jaina's place. Most of the Council participated actively in the war against the Legion, with Modera and Kalecgos even joining the Tirisgarde themselves, empowering Artifact weapons and gifting the Violet Spellwing to players who personally helped defeat Argus the Unmaker, an unprecedented victory which decisively ended their long campaign as well as the Burning Crusade.
After they briefly reunited in Dalaran shortly before the Fourth War, Kalecgos offered to allow Jaina to take his place on the Council, and while the two parted on good terms, she rejected his offer to rejoin their ranks, apparently still disagreeing with the Council's actions and reasoning.
- Ansirem Runeweaver - Like Modera, he was on the council when Garithos condemned Kael'thas.
- Kalec - Former Aspect of the blue dragonflight, real name Kalecgos. Kalec has been a member of the Kirin Tor since Theramore's Fall but joined the council after Jaina left.
- Karlain - An alchemist and mage. Once at the mercy of his emotions, he has since become one of the most controlled and thoughtful members of the Kirin Tor.
- Khadgar - Formerly Medivh's apprentice, he was the member of the council that suggested appointing Jaina as their leader, following the events of the attack on Theramore. Now leads the council as of Jaina's departure, and spearheaded the Kirin Tor's efforts against the returned Burning Legion.
- Modera - The longest-standing member.
- Vargoth - Leader of the first Kirin Tor expedition to Draenor during The Invasion of Draenor, has a retreat in the Violet Citadel.
- Krasus - Humanoid form of Korialstrasz. Member during the Second War, but took his leave from the Council several years before the Third War to be with Alexstrasza.
-  Unidentified heavyset man.
-  Unidentified young woman, less experienced than the others.
- Kel'Thuzad - Expelled for practicing necromancy, then traveled to Northrend and formed the Cult of the Damned.
- Drenden - Member after the Second War and in the years leading up to the Third War. Fate unknown.
- Kael'thas Sunstrider - Prince of Quel'Thalas, member during the Second War. Abandoned Dalaran to lead his people following the destruction of Quel'Thalas.
- Antonidas - Leader of the Kirin Tor during the Second War. Absent after the war. Returned prior to Kel'Thuzad's expulsion until he was killed by Arthas Menethil.
- Rhonin - Leader of the Kirin Tor. Krasus's apprentice and friend. Sacrificed himself to save Vereesa Windrunner and Jaina Proudmoore from the destruction of Theramore Isle.
- Aethas Sunreaver - The leader of the Sunreavers, he secured a sanctuary for the Horde in Dalaran. Later imprisoned by Jaina Proudmoore in the Violet Citadel during the Purge of Dalaran, but rescued by Rommath. He eventually rejoined the Kirin Tor, but did not reclaim his seat on the council.
- Jaina Proudmoore - Leader of the Kirin Tor following Rhonin's death. Left the Council when she was outvoted on the Horde staying out of Dalaran.
In the RPG
The council meets to discuss important issues and vote on matters — no single member holds sway, and the majority vote decides every issue. In case of a tie, the members reconvene a day later, during which interval each member considers his or her vote and all relevant information.
- At some point, the arakkoa Erekem was sent to assassinate the members of the Six but was stopped and imprisoned by the mages of the Kirin Tor.
- During the early stages of Legion's alpha, Rommath was briefly seen in the Council but was later replaced by Kalecgos.
- Even after Vargoth is saved from Kathra'natir's control, he is still not present among the Council of Six in subsequent quests involving them such as .
- Most of the Council members, even Modera, with the exceptions of Khadgar (who is still widely regarded as an Alliance character) and Kalecgos who are friendly to both factions, appear to be friendly towards Alliance players and neutral to the Horde, although ironically Kalecgos has arguably helped Jaina and the Alliance against the Horde much more so than the other members, even being officially labeled as an Alliance character according to the Ultimate Visual Guide.
- In-game, Kalecgos and Vargoth are Arcane Mages, Modera is a Frost Mage, Khadgar appears to specialize in all three schools (although possibly leaning towards Arcane), and their former leader Jaina Proudmoore appears to be a Frost Mage as well, although most of the Council members have been seen wielding magics from various schools.
- Main article: Kirin Tor (film universe)
- ^ The Archmage Antonidas
- ^ a b c d e f g Knaak, Richard A.. Day of the Dragon. ISBN 978-0-6710-4152-6.
- ^ a b c Rosenberg, Aaron. Tides of Darkness. ISBN 978-1-4165-3990-2.
- ^ a b c d Golden, Christie. Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War. ISBN 978-1416-55076-1.
- ^ Before the Storm, chapter 10
- ^ Pine, Sarah. In the Shadow of the Sun.
- ^ Timeline (from official site, 2007)
- ^ a b Fredericksen, Evelyn. Road to Damnation.
- ^ Rosenberg, Aaron. Tides of Darkness, 147 (ebook). ISBN 978-1-4165-3990-2.
- ^ Golden, Christie. "Twenty", Arthas: Rise of the Lich King, 453 (ebook). ISBN 978-1439-15760-2.
- ^ Johnson, Luke. in Ellen P. Kiley: Alliance Player's Guide: 155. ISBN 1-58846-773-2.