- "No voodoo for you, mon." —Ta'zo
Counterspell is a level 7 mage spell that interrupts enemy spellcasting. When successful, the target may not use the interrupted spell school for 6 seconds. For example, counterspelling a priest's will not only interrupt the heal in progress, but also prevent them from casting Holy spells for 6 seconds.
Counterspell is not affected by the global cooldown.
Tips and tactics
This is a very potent spell in the mage arsenal when fighting enemy casters. Mages should learn when to use it.
In PvE groups, use Counterspell to pull ranged casters into the group. Chasing down a creep that is casting from range can be risky if other creeps are in aggro range. Counterspell will cause it to run towards your group, where it can be more safely killed. The spell generates a high amount of threat, so a mage casting it may find themselves at the top of the mob's hate list.
Counterspell is a "twitch" spell, requiring good reaction time. Consider placing this spell on an easily accessible hotkey. One possibility is to use extra mouse buttons, such as the middle scroll wheel or thumb buttons if your mouse has them.
While Counterspell is almost useless against warriors and rogues, it can be used to bring them into combat and prevent rogues from using . Given most other instant spells have cooldowns, if the mage intend to use which heals the opponent, casting Counterspell to start combat does not waste any cooldown.
This spell can also be used to bring a mob group together in order to cast AoE spells on them.
This macro will make your Counterspell hotkey more responsive, by stopping any current spell casts in progress. Since Counterspell is not affected by the global cooldown, the macro will work at any time.
/stopcasting /cast Counterspell
- Counterspell is a rare Mage spell in Hearthstone. The flavor text reads: "What's the difference between a mage playing with Counterspell and a mage who isn't? The mage who isn't is getting Pyroblasted in the face."
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Magic school lockout duration increased from 6 to 7 sec.
- Hotfix (2011-04-29): "Some interrupts were still incorrectly missing targets. Wind Shear, Spell Lock, Counterspell, Mind Freeze, and hunter pet abilities Nether Shock and Serenity Dust should no longer miss."
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Counterspell will now always hit its target.
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08): Lockout duration reduced to 7 seconds, down from 8.
- Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22): Duration reduced to 8 seconds (down from 10), and the cooldown reduced to 24 seconds (down from 30).
- Patch 2.0.6 (2007-01-23): Removed from the global cooldown.
- Patch 2.0.1 (2006-12-05): Placed on the global cooldown
- Patch 1.1.0 (2004-11-07): Facing requirement removed.
- Patch 0.10 (2004-09-18): Interrupt duration has been reduced.
- Patch 0.7 (2004-06-15): Moved to level 24. Mana cost reduced. Interrupt chance raised to 100%.