- For the in-game book, see The Death Knights of Acherus.
The Death Knights of Acherus were the members of the former death knight order under the direct command of the Lich King at Acherus. They were trained for a specific purpose: the destruction of both the Scarlet Crusade and the Argent Dawn, the last bastions of Light in the Plaguelands. The death knights have to take a rite of passage called Death's Challenge.
They managed to destroy Havenshire and New Avalon, and destroyed the last standing army of the Scarlet Crusade before turning on Light's Hope.
During the Battle for Light's Hope Chapel, the Lich King revealed that he sent the death knights on a suicide mission in order to lure Tirion Fordring out of hiding. After the Lich King fled back to Northrend when Fordring cleansed the Ashbringer, the death knights who remained on the field found their free will restored and formed the Knights of the Ebon Blade under the command of Highlord Darion Mograine, and took control of Acherus from the Scourge to serve as their base.
- Highlord Darion Mograine (leader) - Founded the Knights of the Ebon Blade.
- Koltira Deathweaver
- Lady Alistra
- Lord Thorval
- Melt - Former death knight, minion of Munch.
- Orbaz Bloodbane - Fled during the Battle for Light's Hope Chapel and remained in the Scourge.
- Scourge Commander Thalanor
- Death Knight Adventurers