- This article is about the Shadowlands race. For other similarly-named creatures, see devourer of souls and Devourer (RPG).
Devourers are aberrations that hail from the farthest reaches of the Shadowlands and feed on the energies they find. They crawl forth from the cracks between the realms, usually through glowing blue rifts, and have a voracious appetite for anima.
“The insatiable devourers scale the cliffs in search of sustenance. Soon they will swarm the plateau. They seek to consume all they encounter. The vessel. Its power. Us.”
No one knows where the devourers came from, but it is theorized that they have their origins in the In-Between and that they flourish on several lost land masses there. According to Saezurah, an oracle of Zereth Mortis, the devourers once "had purpose" and were "made for balance", but they have since become "altered" and now instead pose a threat to the design of the First Ones. It's unclear if she's referring to all devourers or only the mutated ones in Zereth Mortis.
In recent times, the anima drought has fueled the devourers' relentless hunger, driving them to seek new sources, and all denizens of the Shadowlands see their recent boldness as a sign of the end times.
Devourers are attracted to the scent of anima like moths to a flame. Anima they consume gains some strange properties, such as the ability to open rifts to the In-Between and "infest" objects, causing them to glow with energy. Devourer bodies contain a liquid that resembles blood but is heavily infused with anima.
Devourers exist in various types and levels of power throughout the In-Between. So far, six variants have been seen: giant-like worldeaters or goliaths, who can drain anima from an entire region within a matter of moments; a slightly smaller, hunched version referred to as gorgers; small, flying insect-like creatures called mites or animites; two-legged, bestial scavengers or maulers; levitating, humanoid controllers, who are often seen maintaining rifts for other devourers; and giant, burrowing sandworms.
Devourers can be found infesting most of the main afterlives of the Shadowlands, most prominently Revendreth. When the Primus opened a portal to Zereth Mortis, devourers found their way into that realm as well and began consuming the magic of the First Ones, causing them to begin mutating and falling apart.
- Zereth Mortis
- Devouring Pit in the Sepulcher of the First Ones
- Genesis Fields
- Provis Esper
- Resonant Peaks
- Terrace of Formation
- Zovaal's Grasp
- The Culler
- Embodied Hunger
- Famu the Infinite
- Goxul the Devourer
- Gurg <The Ravenous>
- Hemot <The Consuming>
- Hungering Behemoth
- Hungering Destroyer
- Konthrogz the Obliterator
- Kryxis the Voracious
- The Pale Doom
- Ravenous Mite
- Skolex <The Insatiable Ravener>
- Visk the All-Consuming
- Wild Worldcracker
- Worldeater Colossus
- Worldedge Gorger
- Worldfeaster Chronn
- Xixin the Ravening
- Xorul the Insatiable
- Xyraxz the Unknowable
As a mount
- Main article: Devourer mounts
As a companion pet
- Animite Broodlings and Devourlings can be captured in pet battles in Korthia.
- is a reward from the mission .
- has a chance to drop from .
Notes and trivia
- Inhabitants of the Shadowlands seem to generally view devourers as little more than animals; the Fearstalker calls them "vermin", Ta'eran calls them "mindless monstrosities", Xandria refers to them as "monsters" and "beasts", and they are considered "wildlife" for the purposes of the world quest . However, at least one devourer, the Worldedge Gorger, is capable of speech (albeit only a single word).
- Most devourers have the passive "Consuming Strikes" ability: Consuming Strikes — Consumes a portion of the target's essence causing melee attacks to heal the caster for 25% of the damage inflicted.
- For mutated devourers in Zereth Mortis, Consuming Strikes is replaced by "Unstable Infusion": Unstable Infusion — Attacks have a chance to apply additional Cosmic damage over time. Once weakened they may erupt, inflicting Cosmic damage to nearby enemies.
- Prior to the addition of Korthia in patch 9.1, the only devourer found in the Maw was the Torghast boss Goxul the Devourer.
- In a Game Informer article published just after BlizzCon 2019, the devourer-infested Endmire in Revendreth was described as a place "where creatures end up that have moved from realm to realm in the Shadowlands, twisted and misshapen as a result of the anima ending up in the wrong place". This seems to describe an alternate origin for the devourers that was scrapped during development.
- Worldeaters use ettin animations, gorgers use gronnling animations, mites use nerubian flyer animations, scavengers use crawg animations, and controllers use matron animations.
- The controller type strongly resembles the Collectors from the Mass Effect universe.
- Patch 9.2.0 (2022-02-22): Added a new type, the sandworm.
- Patch 9.1.0 (2021-06-29): Added two new types, the scavenger and controller.
- ^ a b c
- ^ a b c
- ^ a b
- ^ a b
- ^ a b
- ^ Devourling
- ^ World of Warcraft 2021-11-11. Eternity’s End – Developer Preview | World of Warcraft: Shadowlands. YouTube.
- ^ Daniel Tack 2019-11-18. An Exclusive Tour Of World of Warcraft: Shadowlands' Revendreth. Game Informer. Archived from the original on 2021-11-21.