- This article is about the Shadowlands race. For other similarly-named creatures, see devourer of souls and Devourer (RPG).
Devourers are aberrations that hail from the farthest reaches of the Shadowlands and feed on the energies they find. They crawl forth from the cracks between the realms, usually through glowing blue rifts, and have a voracious appetite for anima. No one knows where they came from, but it is theorized that they have their origins in the In-Between and that they flourish on several lost land masses there. The anima drought has fueled the devourers' relentless hunger, driving them to seek new sources, and all denizens of the Shadowlands see their recent boldness as a sign of the end times. Devourers are attracted to the scent of anima like moths to a flame. Anima they consume gains some strange properties, such as the ability to open rifts to the In-Between and "infest" objects, causing them to glow with energy. Devourer bodies contain a liquid that resembles blood but is heavily infused with anima.
Devourers can be found infesting several places in the Shadowlands, such as Everdawn Terrace in Bastion; the Sepulcher of Knowledge in Maldraxxus; the Elder Stand in Ardenweald; the Endmire, Catacombs of Regret, Banewood, Sanguine Depths, and even Castle Nathria in Revendreth; and the Sanctuary of Guidance, Estuary of Awakening, and Windswept Aerie in Korthia. They also infest the Shattered Grove, which is in an unspecified location.
Devourers exist in various types and levels of power throughout the In-Between. So far, five variants have been seen: giant-like worldeaters or goliaths, who can drain anima from an entire region within a matter of moments; a slightly smaller, hunched version referred to as gorgers or gluttons; small, flying insect-like creatures called mites or animites, two-legged, bestial maulers or scavengers; and levitating, humanoid controllers.
- Embodied Hunger
- Famu the Infinite
- Goxul the Devourer
- Gurg <The Ravenous>
- Hemot <The Consuming>
- Hungering Behemoth
- Hungering Destroyer
- Konthrogz the Obliterator
- Kryxis the Voracious
- The Pale Doom
- Ravenous Mite
- Visk the All-Consuming
- Wild Worldcracker
- Worldeater Colossus
- Worldedge Gorger
- Worldfeaster Chronn
- Xixin the Ravening
- Xorul the Insatiable
- 16px Xyraxz the Unknowable
As a mount
- Main article: Devourer mounts
As a companion pet
- Animite Broodlings and Devourlings can be captured in pet battles in Korthia.
- Devouring Animite is a reward from the mission .
- has a chance to drop from .
- Most devourers have the passive "Consuming Strikes" ability: Consuming Strikes — Consumes a portion of the target's essence causing melee attacks to heal the caster for 25% of the damage inflicted.
- Inhabitants of the Shadowlands seem to generally view devourers as little more than animals; the Fearstalker calls them "vermin", Ta'eran calls them "mindless monstrosities", Xandria refers to them as "monsters" and "beasts", and they are considered "wildlife" for the purposes of the world quest . However, at least one devourer, the Worldedge Gorger, is capable of speech (albeit only a single word).
- Prior to the addition of Korthia in patch 9.1, the only devourer found in the Maw was the Torghast boss Goxul the Devourer.
- Worldeaters use ettin animations, gorgers use gronnling animations, mites use nerubian flyer animations, maulers use crawg animations, and controllers use matron animations.
- The controller type strongly resembles the Collectors from the Mass Effect universe.
- Patch 9.1.0 (2021-06-29): Added two new types, the mauler and controller.