- "Strange things are afoot in the world of Azeroth as denizens of Sanctuary cross over into an unfamiliar world."
Diablo's 20th Anniversary was a world event celebrating the 20th anniversary of the Diablo franchise. The event lasted one week, running from January 4-9, 2017. Players on EU servers reported the event going live on January 3rd. The event actually lasted through the 10th, however, so the ending date in the announcement may have been in error.
During the event, players would sometimes encounter Treasure Goblins at the end of Legion dungeons or out in the Broken Isles. Successfully killing a Treasure Goblin allowed players to enter a portal to the "Secret Cow Level", a phased version of the Yorgen Farmstead in Duskwood inhabited by demonic bovines and the dreaded Cow King. Although the Cow King could only be killed and looted for unique Diablo-themed items once per character, players could farm the Treasure Goblins.
- This event was part of a multi-franchise anniversary event that included several other of Blizzard's games: Heroes of the Storm featured a new brawl map and Diablo-themed portrait, Hearthstone a unique Diablo-themed Tavern Brawl, Overwatch a player icon modeled after Diablo himself as well as in-game sprays representing Diablo III classes, StarCraft II a Diablo-themed worker portrait, and Diablo III itself the "Darkening of Tristram" tribute event, which recreated one of the dungeons from the original Diablo game.
- Patch 7.1.0 (2016-10-25): Added.
- ^ a b Blizzard Celebrates 20 Years of Diablo. Blizzard Entertainment (2016-12-28). Retrieved on 2016-12-28.
- ^ Celebrate 20 Years of Diablo in World of Warcraft!. Blizzard Entertainment (2017-01-05). Archived from the original on 2017-01-05. Retrieved on 2017-01-06.
- ^ chaud 2016-01-03. Diablo 20th Anniversary Event, The Nighthold Preview. MMO-Champion. Retrieved on 2017-01-04.
- ^ Aerythlea 2017-01-05. Unable to Loot Cow Boss.. Blizzard Entertainment. Archived from the original on 2017-01-05. Retrieved on 2017-01-05.