- For information about drakonid in the Nefarian fight, see Nefarian (tactics).
|Character classes||Warrior, Warlock|
Drakonid (sometimes pluralized as drakonids and also spelled draconid) or drakonaar are humanoid dragon-like creatures typically used as guards and soldiers for their dragonflight.
Drakonid are mortals empowered by the dragons they serve, via intentional alteration or via "unintended side effect of hanging out with dragons". The process does not have to be willing. Each drakonid seems to have a fatal weakness to one magic type, making it suffer enormous damage from that particular school. This weakness can be used to the advantage of any mortal army daring to step into the halls of Blackwing Lair in order to challenge the sinister Nefarian.
Bronze colored drakonid can be found patrolling the Caverns of Time. Nether drakonid can be found in Shadowmoon Valley, in the service of Illidan Stormrage. Drakonid of all five dragonflights guard the Wyrmrest Temple. The infinite dragonflight tempted many drakonid with promises of power, but most found only servitude and despair. One of the few exceptions is Chrono Lord Deja, who gained influence within the flight through his raw power and cunning.
Drakonid have been described as half-man, half-dragon. The ascendants and Zuluhed of the Dragonmaw on Outland can turn into drakonid. Corla of the Twilight's Hammer in the Blackrock Caverns blessed fellow zealots by harnessing nether dragon essence to transform the believers into menacing twilight drakonid.
- Warbringer Goredrak <Azure-Lord of the Blue Dragonflight>
- Curator Insivius
- Varos Cloudstrider <Azure-Lord of the Blue Dragonflight>
- Ferithos <Reagent Supplies>
- Karsh Steelbender <Twilight Armorer>
- Drakonid of all five main dragonflights
As a companion pet
- Blizzard have considered making drakonid a playable race, with Tom Chilton stating in 2009 that "We always looked at those and said, oh that would be a pretty cool player race - it would be cool to play as one of those guys. There's not a lot there as far as, where did they come from and what are they? But they are in the world and it wouldn't be completely inconceivable that a player would end up being able to play that, and we could continue to expand on the depth of that race and that sort of race."
- When chasing an enemy, drakonid twirl their polearms in a manner similar to that of the guardian of the Tkon Empire attacking Commander Riker in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "The Last Outpost".
- Drakonid could be considered dragonspawn, or evolved dragonspawn.
- "Dragonkin" as a more specific term than the creature type may be a "race" that includes both drakonid and dragonspawn. They were previously speculated to be related.
Ruby Protector in the TCG.
- ^ Lord Valthalak
- ^ Night of the Dragon
- ^ a b Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects
- ^ World of Warcraft: The Magazine Volume I Issue II
- ^ Maloriak#Stage Two: Unpredictable Results
- ^ Corla, Herald of Twilight#Abilities
- ^ Blackwing Drakonaar
- ^ Twilight Drakonaar
- ^ Evolved Drakonaar
- ^ Archive lore tweets from loreology
- ^ World of Warcraft: The Magazine Volume II Issue I, pg. 89
- ^ Chrono Lord Deja#Adventure Guide
- ^ Corla, Herald of Twilight#Adventure Guide
- ^ Wesley Yin-Poole 2009-07-03. Blizzard's Tom Chilton on the future of WoW. VideoGamer.com. Retrieved on 2019-08-13.