- This article is about the rulers of the Shadowlands. For the pantheon of the titans, see Pantheon. For the Warcraft RPG term for immortal beings, see Eternal.
The Eternal Ones (sometimes called the Eternals or lords of death) are the most powerful beings in the Shadowlands and rule over the realm of Death. They founded four covenants for the purpose of carrying out the many duties required to maintain their respective realms, and each one rules over one of the six main realms of the Shadowlands: Kyrestia over the kyrian and Bastion, the Primus over the necrolords and Maldraxxus, the Winter Queen over the night fae and Ardenweald, Denathrius over the venthyr and Revendreth, the Arbiter over the attendants and Oribos, and Zovaal over the Maw, which does not have a covenant as it prefers to torture souls rather than work with them.
Together, the Eternal Ones make up the Pantheon of Death. They are one of several pantheons that were created by the First Ones to embody the six cosmic forces and were created by the First Ones in their realm of Zereth Mortis. Their physical bodies were forged in the Endless Foundry within the Sepulcher of the First Ones and then infused with souls. The Prototype Pantheon are a group of incomplete prototypes of them. The Eternal Ones are forbidden from returning to Zereth Mortis according to the laws of the First Ones. Long ago, each Eternal One was given a sigil symbolizing their covenant's purpose. Zovaal served as the original Arbiter, until he betrayed the rest of the pantheon. Led by the Primus, they united against him, imprisoned him in the Maw, and created a new Arbiter to replace him.
At least some attendants pray to the Eternal Ones like deities.
Known Eternal Ones
|Kyrestia the Firstborne||Bastion||Kyrian||Archon of the kyrian, whose duty is to ferry souls across the veil to Oribos.||Active|
|Arbiter Pelagos||Oribos||Attendants||Arbiter of all mortal souls entering the Shadowlands. Took the place of the destroyed second Arbiter.||Active|
|The Primus||Maldraxxus||Necrolords||Ruler of the necrolords, who defend the Shadowlands from outside threats. Legendary tactician, weaponsmith, and creator of necromantic rune magic and Domination magic. Long went missing due to being imprisoned by the Jailer and turned into the Runecarver before being freed by Maw Walkers.||Active|
|The Winter Queen||Ardenweald||Night Fae||Queen of the night fae, who ensure the rebirth of deceased Wild Gods and nature spirits. Sister and counterpart to Elune.||Active|
|The Arbiter||Oribos||Attendants||The judge of all mortal souls that entered the Shadowlands. Constructed to replace Zovaal and later destroyed by him.||Destroyed|
|Sire Denathrius||Revendreth||Venthyr||Sire of the venthyr, who are responsible for redeeming sinful souls, and the nathrezim, who were created to infiltrate the other cosmic forces. Betrayed the rest of the pantheon to side with the Jailer. Replaced as ruler of Revendreth by Court of Harvesters collectively.||Active|
|Zovaal the Jailer||The Maw||Mawsworn||Originally the Arbiter, but betrayed the rest of the pantheon and was sentenced to become the Jailer of the irredeemable souls trapped in the Maw. Tried to use the knowledge in the Sepulcher of the First Ones to remake reality but was defeated by the Maw Walkers.||Deceased|
- Lead designer Morgan Day described the Eternal Ones as being on par with the titans. Art director Ely Cannon described the Winter Queen as "something kind of right below [a titan]". Game director Ion Hazzikostas said that the end boss of Shadowlands, Zovaal, needed to be "titan-level" or "titan plus plus level", like Argus and N'Zoth for, respectively, Legion and Battle for Azeroth, implying he was being metaphorical rather than literal. Zovaal is apparently more powerful than the rest of the pantheon, since all of his kin needed to unite to banish him.
- If a player dies and resurrects in the Maw, they temporarily gain the buff.
- The Archon refers to the Sire as "our" brother, the Primus refers to the Jailer as "our" brother, and the Jailer refers to himself as the Archon's brother, but the Winter Queen refers to the Primus as an "old friend" and to Elune as her sister.
- After a bug enabled a warlock player's Doomguard to kill Kyrestia the Firstborne within the Spires of Ascension, the message "As the Archon perishes, all life in the zone is wiped out!" was displayed. This seems to suggest that the death of an Eternal One destroys their corresponding realm. However, since the message could only be triggered by exploiting a bug, it is likely a remnant of a scrapped earlier version of the encounter and its canonicity is uncertain.
- In , Prince Renathal represents the Venthyr Covenant in place of the traitorous Denathrius, but no one represents the missing Primus or the Necrolord Covenant. In , Baroness Draka represents the Necrolords.
- The four governing zones of the Shadowlands have aristocratic secondary leadership. The Winter Queen has the Court of Night, Sire Denathrius has the Court of Harvesters, the Primus has the margraves of the five houses, and the Archon has the Paragons of the five temples. The Arbiter is served by attendants of various ranks. The Maw's hierarchy below the Jailer is unclear, though he does have Sylvanas Windrunner and Helya acting as primary lieutenants.
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment 2019-11-26. BlizzCon 2019 | World of Warcraft: What's Next | Full Panel (23:30). YouTube. Retrieved on 2020-12-27.
- ^ Shadows Rising, pg. 237: "Your queen has made some nasty friends on the Other Side. The power she has been granted can be taken away, the lords of death will never let her win."
- ^ : "Three Harvesters and a Maw Walker infused by the raw power of anima from the many realms of the Shadowlands against one lord of death, whose dominion we stand upon the precipice of."
- ^ a b Opulence Ba'hare#Quotes
- ^ a b World of Warcraft: Grimoire of the Shadowlands and Beyond, pg. 61
- ^ a b World of Warcraft: Grimoire of the Shadowlands and Beyond, pg. 135
- ^ perculia 2020-07-09. Shadowlands Lore Interview with Lead Narrative Designer Steve Danuser - Elune, Sylvanas, Calia. Wowhead. Archived from the original on 2020-07-09.
- ^ World of Warcraft: Grimoire of the Shadowlands and Beyond, pg. 151
- ^ Prototype Pantheon#Adventure Guide
- ^ a b
- ^ a b Anshlun 2020-07-09. Lordmons Interview with Morgan Day Highlights - Pantheon of Death, Legendary Power Unlock. Wowhead. Archived from the original on 2020-07-10.
- ^ Garth Holden 2020-08-20. A deep dive into Ardenweald, the Shadowlands realm of hibernation. Archived from the original on 2021-09-13.
- ^ Jez Corden 2020-07-09. World of Warcraft Shadowlands interview: Customization, progression, balance, and more with Ion Hazzikostas. Windows Central. Archived from the original on 2020-07-14.
- ^ perculia 2020-07-09. The Final Boss of Shadowlands. Wowhead. Archived from the original on 2020-07-09.
- ^ Bad-Revan 2020-12-28. Worlds First 'Kyrestia the Firstborne' Kill. Reddit. Retrieved on 2021-03-07.