We have moved to Warcraft Wiki. Click here for information and the new URL.


For the possible school of arcane magic, see Arcane#Evocation.
Spell nature purge
Class Mage
School Arcane
Cooldown 1.5 minutes
Talent required Spell nature enchantarmor [Presence of Mind]
Improvements Ability monk forcesphere arcane [Siphon Storm], Spell holy mindsooth [Slipstream]
Related buff
Spell nature purge
  • Evocation
  • Mana regeneration increased by 750%.
  • Duration: 6 seconds

Evocation is an Arcane mage talent. It is a channeled spell that greatly increases the caster's mana regeneration.


  • Taking other actions, including moving, will cause Evocation's channel to stop. It can be talented to allow movement.
  • Haste reduces Evocation's channel time but does not appear to negatively affect how much total mana is regenerated.
  • Evocation is unaffected by spell pushback.



Patch changes[]

  • Dragonflight Patch 10.0.0 (2022-10-25): Now a row 8 Arcane talent (was a level 27 Arcane ability).
  • Shadowlands Patch 9.0.1 (2020-10-13): Now learned at level 27 (was 20).
  • Battle for Azeroth Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): Evocation now increases mana regeneration by 750% for 6 seconds.
    Old: Evocation restores 100% of total mana over 6 seconds.
  • Legion Patch 7.1.0 (2016-10-25): Now learned at level 20 (was 40). Cooldown increased to 3 minutes. New rank available at level 56 that reduces its cooldown to 1.5 minutes.
  • Legion Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Evocation no longer consumes Arcane Charges, and now restores 100% of total mana over 6 seconds. Cooldown reduced to 1.5 minutes. New spell animation.
  • Warlords of Draenor Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Now available only to Arcane mages.
  • Mists of Pandaria Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): For Arcane Mages, Evocation now restores 40% (was 60%) of total mana over 6 seconds, and consumes all Arcane Charges. For each Arcane Charge consumed, the total amount of mana regenerated is increased by 10%, up to a maximum of 80% over 6 seconds. Evocation remains the same for Fire and Frost.
  • Mists of Pandaria Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Cooldown reduced to 2 minutes. Now available at level 40 (was 12).
  • Cataclysm Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Now causes the caster to gain 15% of total mana instantly and 45% of total mana over 6 sec (was 60% of total mana over 8 sec). Now trained at level 12 (was 20).
  • Wrath-Logo-Small Patch 3.0.8 (2009-01-20): Cooldown reduced to 4 min.
  • Wrath-Logo-Small Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Cooldown reduced from 8 minutes to 5 minutes.
  • Bc icon Patch 2.3.0 (2007-11-13): Evocation now regenerates 15% of total mana every 2 seconds rather than increasing Spirit based regeneration.
  • Bc icon Patch 2.2.0 (2007-09-25):
    • Abilities that grant a power increases (such as Evocation) were changed to guarantee a consistent number of ticks of regeneration at the increased level. For Evocation, this means that as soon as the spell is cast, a single tick of mana regeneration will be awarded at the normal level, then exactly 2 seconds and every 2 seconds after, the 1500% of mana regeneration will be returned, guaranteeing a full 4 ticks of increased regen every time. Previously, with unfortunate timing, increased mana would be returned on only 3 ticks.
    • Animation changed to the new cyclone spell effect.
  • WoW Icon update Patch 1.12.0 (2006-08-22): Evocation can no longer be used while silenced.
  • WoW Icon update Patch 1.11.0 (2006-06-19): This spell is no longer a talent, and can instead be trained at Level 20 from any mage trainer. Cooldown reduced to 8 minutes, down from 10 minutes.
  • Test-inline Patch 0.9 (2004-08-17): Reduced cooldown.

External links[]