- For the character from the main universe, see Exarch Maladaar.
|Title||<Speaker for the Dead>|
|Affiliation(s)||Council of Exarchs, Auchenai|
|Occupation||Leader of the Auchenai|
|Relative(s)||Tuulani (adopted daughter)|
Maladaar is one of the five Exarchs, the leaders of draenei society under Prophet Velen. As the Speaker for the Dead, Maladaar leads the Auchenai, a group of vindicators and soul priests who watch over the draenei's most sacred of precincts, Auchindoun, where the souls of departed draenei rest. He leads the reclamation of Shattrath City from the Burning Legion.
Assault on the Dark Portal
At some time prior to the Iron Horde's invasion of Azeroth, Exarch Othaar - a Sargerei traitor in the Exarchs - arranged for the Iron Horde to capture Maladaar, expecting that the orcs would kill him. Maladaar was held in the the Tanaan Jungle by the Shattered Hand and tortured, until the champions of the Alliance and Horde freed him along with Drek'Thar during the Assault on the Dark Portal. Maladaar joined them in their escape from Tanaan Jungle, and upon entering Umbral Halls he and Qiana Moonshadow went to scout the cave. Soon after, he returned to inform Khadgar and they left the cave. Eventually he battled against the Blackrock in Blackrock Quarry. After the battle, he and Yrel healed the draenei escapees.
The Pursuit of Justice
After the Alliance arrived in Shadowmoon Valley, Maladaar returned to the city of Elodor, and was soon summoned to a meeting of the Exarch Council by Maraad and the Alliance champion. Having grown wary due to his ordeal in Tanaan, Maladaar began to suspect demonic dangers to his people afoot within Shadowmoon, and with the assistance of the Alliance champion successfully located a Sargerei hideout in the city.
On the matter of what to do with this troubling development, the Exarch Council proved divided, each leader with their own opinion of how to best guide their people. Maladaar chose to be proactive, and, after the murder of Exarch Hataaru, he left of his own volition to investigate Hataaru's death, even though Exarch Akama and Othaar were against it. Maladaar and Soulbinder Nyami performed a ritual to summon forth Hataaru's spirit to identify his killer, and though Maladaar learned an exarch had a role in his death, Nyami abruptly ended the ritual after Maladaar asked Hataaru who killed him and Hataaru pointed at her.
Maladaar asked the Alliance champion to help him install a device on Exarch's Rise to help root out the traitor, which exposed Exarch Othaar as the traitor. Exarch Othaar transformed into a man'ari and renamed himself Socrethar, but fled upon being weakened by the Alliance champion, warning the other exarchs that their days were numbered. Maladaar, fearing there may be other traitors among the draenei's ranks, departed for Talador with Nyami to see to the safety of Auchindoun.
In the Shadows of Auchindoun
When Maladaar arrived he found Auchindoun under siege by the Shadow Council under the personal command of Gul'dan and Teron'gor. With the assistance of the champion, Maladaar discovered that Teron'gor planned to conqueror Auchindoun to feast on the souls therein and that the Shadow Council had already begun subverting the Auchenai's defenses with the help of Sargerei agents. Lady Liadrin and the Sunsworn, a force of blood elves who have came to Talador's aid against the Legion, joined with Maladaar and the Auchenai. Maladaar and Liadrin's forces then began a counter-offensive, holding the line at Auchindoun itself and undoing the Legion's work in the nearby city of Telmor.
As this was happening, Nyami left Maladaar, stating she would confront and defeat Teron'gor herself. Maladaar, concerned for her safety, asked the champion to find her. The champion found her holding Teron'gor's open, and when the champion, Maladaar and Liadrin charged through the portal the trap was sprung. The portal led to the destroyed world of Xandros where Gul'dan and Teron'gor lay in wait to kill them with the help of the pit lord Mongrethod. Though Maladaar and Liadrin were victorious over the annihilan, Gul'dan and Teron'gor took advantage of the distraction to break through the defense of Auchindoun in a bloody rush. When Maladaar, Liadrin and the champion arrived back at Auchindoun they found the entrance paved with corpses and no sign of where Teron'gor and Gul'dan had gone. He informed Khadgar about Teron'gor's infiltrating of Auchindoun.
Maladaar, along with the Sha'tari Defense, Auchenai soul priests, and Liadrin's Blood Knights, arrived at Shattrath to take back the city from the Burning Legion and Sargerei forces. Maladaar and Liadrin eventually confront and kill Socrethar himself, paving the way for the Auchenai to retake Shattrath in time.
Maladaar later presides over Yrel's trials of the exarch. He praises both Yrel and the player's abilities, and christens Lady Yrel as Exarch Yrel before the gathered crowds.
He is ultimately seen with the other Exarchs at the Gates of Tanaan confronting Warchief Grommash after the death of Azuka Bladefury.
Fury of Hellfire
While Yrel and the forces of Lunarfall infiltrate Tanaan by sailing in from the east, Maladaar leads an attack on the Path of Glory in Talador alongside Durotan and destroys the gate to Tanaan. This opens up a new battlefield with the Iron Horde on The Iron Front, which he presides over for the Hand of the Prophet. After he was checked with the commander, he sent him to three agents, that were scouting the Tanaan terrain.
Maladaar is ultimately seen with the other Exarchs in Karabor as he the commander receives the blessing of the naaru K'ara.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Assault on the Dark Portal||95||3,721,900|
|Shadowmoon Valley (alternate universe)||95||372,190|
|Shadowmoon Valley (alternate universe)||100||372,190|
|Shadowmoon Valley (alternate universe)||100||978,540|
- Exarch Blade — Inflicts Arcane damage to enemies in front of the caster.
- Fel Tracking
- Avenger's Shield — Hurls a holy shield at the enemy, dealing Holy damage, Dazing them and then jumping to additional nearby enemies. Affects 2 total targets.
- Blessing of Kings — Places a Blessing on the friendly target, increasing strength, agility, stamina, and intellect by 5% for 5 min.
- Consecration — Consecrates the land beneath the caster, dealing Holy damage over 8 sec to enemies who enter the area.
- Devotion Aura — Reduces Physical damage taken of nearby party members for 4 min.
- Holy Shield — Increases chance to block by 30% for 10 sec and deals Holy damage for each attack blocked while active. Each block expends a charge. 3 charges.
- Reckoning — Taunts the target to attack you, and increases threat that you generate against the target for 3 sec.
- Divine Protection — Calls upon the Light for guidance, providing protection against the Wrath of Socrethar.
- Blind Recompense — Hurls hammers of divine light in a line in front of the caster. Each hammer inflicts Holy damage to all targets within 4 yards of the impact.
- Assault on the Dark Portal
- Shadowmoon Valley
- Garrison Campaign
- In Pursuit of Gul'dan
- I can hear the souls of the dead.
- The dead speak to those who listen.
- We must preserve the sanctity of the fallen.
- I would forfeit my own soul to protect my people.
- There is no turning back now.
- Never hesitate to do what is right.
- Tradition binds my people.
- Assault on the Dark Portal
If we make it out of this jungle, I will personally see to it that you and your people are taken care of.
- The Traitor's True Name
A traitor among us - a fallen Exarch!
This is... unthinkable.
- Speaker for the Dead (Talador)
The Light is screaming for aid.
- Retribution Point
The spirits within Auchindoun grow restless. Darkness is near.
- Main article: A Potential Ally#Notes
- Main article: Kill Your Hundred#Notes
- Main article: Keli'dan the Breaker (Alliance)#Notes
- Main article: Prepare for Battle (Alliance)#Notes
- Main article: The Home Stretch#Notes
- Main article: Speaker for the Dead (Shadowmoon Valley)#Notes
Notes and trivia
- Maladaar's combat abilities are fairly unique. He seems to be a soul priest who battles with the aid of powerful spirits, but wields a sword & shield along with several paladin-esque abilities.
- When Tuulani lost her parents, he took the young draenei under his wing and raised her as his own.
- Maladaar's statement that he would forfeit his own soul to protect his people would seem to be a nod to his fate in the main timeline.
- Likewise, his farewell quote "There is no turning back now" was an aggro quote for the main timeline Maladaar (albeit with a much angrier inflection). Here, it is likely in reference to the inevitable war against the Iron Horde, as there were many amongst the Draenei who were unsure/unwilling to go to war.
- He fought against the ogres his entire life.
- His elekk mount, Ormuus, was initially planned to appear.
- Maladaar in alternate universe is voiced by Neil Kaplan.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Added.