- Fire mages get several upgrades to the spell as they level up:
- At level 18, Fire Blast will always deal a critical strike.
- At level 32, Fire Blast becomes castable while casting other spells.
- At level 37, Fire Blast gains 2 charges.
- Recharge time is reduced by Haste.
Tips and tactics
This spell sees a lot of use in PvP. Instant spells are impossible to interrupt, and spells and abilities that slow casting time have no effect. The only way to stop an instant is to silence the caster.
Instants can be cast on the move, as in kiting, or to chase or escape another player. Fire Blast must be cast while facing the target, but it is possible to jump, turn back to cast, then turn forward again before landing. The target only needs to be within the 180 degree arc in front of the caster.
A common technique to achieve burst damage is to cast Fire Blast right after getting the first proc of ; casting Fire Blast while the next is casting will activate the "Hot Streak!" buff, and the casting Fireball still have a chance to proc Hot Streak. The instant or can also proc Hot Streak, potentially giving several Hot Streak procs in a row.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Now available only to Fire, always a critical strike, unaffected by the global cooldown, and can be cast while casting other spells. Damage increased by 77.4%.
- Hotfix (2012-12-11): When Fire Blast modified by Glyph of Fire Blast is used to detonate a Frost Bomb, the resulting Frost Bomb now deals 50% less damage.