Commonly used by sporelings as a light source as they navigate the waterways of Zangarmarsh, this luminescent insect helps them avoid the dangerous bogflare needlers. Scholars have debated at length about how fireflies glow, but the leading hypothesis is "magic". They feed on small leaves and grass, but one species is known to consume purple flowers and nectar to retain a deep violet glow.
Glowflies use their luminescent to attract mates, while waterflies use the surface of water to reflect the light from their abdomen to attract their mates. On very rare occasions glowflies synchronize their flashing creating a spectacular sight for any adventurer lucky enough to catch this phenomenon. Some species native to the Jade Forest are attracted to the latent energy in shrines.
As a companion pet
Many fireflies (or creatures who share the same model) can also be captured in pet battles around the world:
- Darkmoon Glowflies on Darkmoon Island
- Effervescent Glowflies in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms
- Mei Li Sparklers in Krasarang Wilds
- Sapphire Fireflies and Swamplighter Fireflies in Spires of Arak
- Shimmering Aquaflies in Val'sharah
- Shrine Flies in the Jade Forest
- Violet Fireflies in Tanaan Jungle
- Waterflies in Shadowmoon Valley, Talador and Tanaan Jungle
As a hunter pet
- Main article: Wasp
- The model used in WoW for fireflies looks like and is called a wasp (most likely because units using the model can be tamed) not a firefly, even if the tail glows.
- In WoW, hornets (such as Marsh Hornet) use the same model as fireflies.