Footmen are warriors and versatile foot soldiers who serve as basic infantry in armies of the human nations. Comprising the bulk of the Alliance army, the footman is the heart of the war machine for elves, humans and dwarves. Fighting in close formation, they use proven tactical methods: advance slowly with shields raised, then draw swords and close to melee range.
Footmen appeared as units on the human or Alliance side in Warcraft, Warcraft II and Warcraft III. They are the classic counterpart to grunts but despite their heavy armor they are weaker than them in Warcraft III (they do, however, cost much less). This may be explained by the fact that the footmen of the Third War are mostly volunteers lacking the plate armor and specialized training of their predecessors.
- Main article: Footman (Warcraft I)
Footmen were the backbone of the King's armies. They were foot soldiers trained in the art of melee combat using the sword and shield. Well armored for maximum defense against attacks, they could also deliver a solid blow with their double edged weapons.
- Main article: Footman (Warcraft II)
Footmen were the initial line of defense against the Horde. Arrayed in hardened steel armor, they courageously wielded broadsword and shield in hand-to-hand combat against their vile orcish foes. The valorous footmen were ever prepared to heed the call to arms.
- Main article: Footman (Warcraft III)
The vast ranks of the Alliance armies have been replenished since the devastating battles of the Second War. Trained in the arts of swordsmanship, the stoic footmen of the Alliance serve as Lordaeron's first line of defense. Armed with broadswords and heavy kite shields, footmen are capable of breaking any enemy charge. Though these fierce warriors lacked the shining plate mail and specialized training of their noble predecessors, they still fought with bravery and honor on the field of battle.
Warcraft III: Reforged cinematic model.
Warcraft III: Reforged unit model (on the left).
Warcraft III: Reforged promotional art.
World of Warcraft
- During the World of Warcraft alpha, the Imperial Plate set was intended to equip human footmen.
- Footmen are now commonly used as city and town guards in human-controlled lands like Stromgarde Keep, Stormwind City, Theramore Isle, and Honor Hold.
- It is also shown that many dwarves were footmen too, even during the Second War.
- During the war against the Lich King human footmen were given cloaks to combat the cold weather of Northrend and had slightly bigger pauldrons. Human footmen were given another upgrade during the Fourth War.
- Human marines are a force of specialized footmen.
- The Stormwind Set can be used in order to look like a Stormwind footman.
- Danath Trollbane
- Guard Marcus
- Guard Trogdar
- Guard Troy
- Guard Seth
- Rolf Hartford
- Malakai Stone
- Footman George - Borean Tundra
- Footman Chuck - Borean Tundra
- Footman Rob - Borean Tundra
- Footman Mitch - Borean Tundra
- Footman Hordum - Zul'drak
- Footman James - Culling of Stratholme
- Footman Maxwell - Culling of Stratholme
- Warcraft III
- World of Warcraft
- Hillsbrad Footman - Hillsbrad Foothills
- Refuge Pointe Defender - Arathi Highlands
- Stromgarde Defender - Arathi Highlands
- Nijel's Point Guard - Desolace
- Dark Iron Footman - Searing Gorge
- Nethergarde Footman - Blasted Lands
- Ironforge Brigade Footman - Silithus
- Anvilrage Footman - Blackrock Depths
- Unyielding Footman - Hellfire Peninsula
- Alliance Footman - Battle for Mount Hyjal
- Human Footman - Karazhan
- Valiance Keep Footman - Borean Tundra
- Scourged Footman - Borean Tundra
- Fordragon Footman - Dragonblight
- Forgotten Footman - Dragonblight
- Onslaught Footman - Dragonblight
- Amberpine Footman - Grizzly Hills
- Westfall Brigade Footman - Grizzly Hills
- Argent Footman - Zul'drak
- Scourged Argent Footman - Zul'drak
- Lordaeron Footsoldier - Icecrown
- Boneguard Footman - Icecrown
- Lordaeron Footman - Culling of Stratholme
- Spectral Footman - Halls of Reflection
- Stormwind Infantry - Elwynn Forest
- Honor's Stand Footman - Southern Barrens
- Triumph Vanguard - Southern Barrens
- Northwatch Guard - Southern Barrens
- Northwatch Infantry - Stonetalon Mountains
- Marshtide Footman - Swamp of Sorrows
- Marshtide Invader - Swamp of Sorrows
- Baradin Guard - Tol Barad
- Fallen Footman - Tol Barad
- Time-Twisted Footman - End Time
- Theramore Footman - Theramore's Fall
- Shipwrecked Footman - Jade Forest
- Sha-Touched Footman - Shrine of Seven Stars
- Shieldwall Footman - Krasarang Wilds
- Lion's Footman - Domination Point
- Stormwind Footman - Purge of Dalaran
- Lunarfall Footman - Lunarfall
- Stormshield Footman - Ashran
- Stormshield Vanguard - Ashran
- Fort Wrynn Footman - Talador
- Southport Footman - Spires of Arak
- Telaari Footman - Spires of Arak
- Lion's Watch Footman - Tanaan Jungle
- Alliance Infantry - Battle for the Broken Shore
- Gilnean Footman - Battle for the Broken Shore
- Fort Victory Footman - Nazmir
- Gilnean Footman - Darkshore
In the RPG
This grim, mud-slogging soldier initially appears to be a grizzled veteran, until you get a glimpse of his young face. His weapons and armor look worn, like they were scavenged from a battlefield.
Footmen like to travel in small groups and form ranks. They are attuned to formation fighting, and coordinate their attacks. They're capable of bringing down well-armored opponents.
Description on card back
Joined by the stoic Dwarves and the reclusive Elves, the Human denizens of Lordaeron prepare to wage war against a terrifying enemy. United in arms against a common foe, this new Alliance stands upon the shores of destiny and awaits the coming of the Orcish Horde.
Footmen serve as the initial line of defense for the lands of the Alliance and are the backbone of the King's armies. Clad in armor of hardened steel, they wield broadsword and shield in pitched hand-to-hand combat against the enemies of humanity.
Stormwind, Kul Tiras, Stromgarde, Theramore, Lordaeron and the Sons of Lothar are depicted as having "classic" footman armor matching the color of their faction. Nethergarde, Hillsbrad and the Baradin's Wardens had footmen with different armors. Dalaran and Gilneas have their own infantry corps, respectively in the form of the Kirin Tor Guardians (of which the Violet Hold Guards may be a sub-division, as seen in the Nighthold) and Gilnean Royal Guards. It is unknown if Alterac had footmen, but the Syndicate Enforcers and Watchmen could have been remnants of them.
- In World of Warcraft
Valiance Expedition footman armor.
Warlords of Draenor-era Stormwind footman.
Battle for Azeroth-era Stormwind footman.
- World of Warcraft cinematic stills and art
A cinematic still of a Alliance soldier from the Battle for Azeroth intro.
"A Lion Among Wolves" by Samwise Didier.
In the film universe.
Footman minion in the animated short Hearth and Home.
Varian Footman skin from Heroes of the Storm.
BlizzCon 2019 footman statue.
Stormwind Champion in Hearthstone.
Kul Tiran Footman in Hearthstone.
Footman art by Cole Eastburn.
Footman in Warcraft Arclight Rumble
Fan rendition of footmen from the Seven Kingdoms.
- ^ The Defense of Strahnbrad (WC3 Human)
- ^ Battle.net
- ^ Warcraft: Orcs & Humans manual, Azeroth Army of the First War, Footman
- ^ Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness manual, Alliance Ground Units, Footman
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment. Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos Manual, 9 - 10.
- ^ File:WoW computergaming extract.jpg
- ^ Nethergarde Footman
- ^ Honor Hold Defender
- ^ White Wolf. Alliance Player's Guide, 184-185. ISBN 9781588467737.
- ^ http://www.avalonprime.com/figures/footman.html