Would some one help me add a video to the shadowglen section? I want to add a youtube video "jKNM3Vd0imE" which is a video showing the storyline of the zone. I keep getting errors as invalid video ID or unable to add due to spam prevent and to post in forums. Is there any way to embed the video so it shows the video, or is it only permitted to show a link/text?
--Warcraft4k (talk) 05:39, 23 May 2017 (UTC)
- I am not completely sure, but I think the old youtube tag that let you embed videos in a page is retired and can't be used for new links anymore... Xporc (talk) 05:57, 23 May 2017 (UTC)
Okay, the link is working now for Shadowglen. I've added some more videos to New Tinkertown, Teldrassil, Coldridge Valley, and Dun Morogh. Would someone edit them so they become viewable? I'm not permitted as I'm new. I've added --infront of the link, so just need to remove that. Thank you for your help! Warcraft4k (talk) 09:07, 24 May 2017 (UTC)
Note that the error message shown to you, pointed you to the external links policy, which explains that new users are not permitted to add external links (or videos). This requirement aims to reduce the amount of drive-by self-promotion on the wiki, and the filter enforcing it appears to be working correctly in this case.
The intended solution here is that you simply make other (useful) edits before the advertising ones. Working around this requirement by inserting broken links and asking other editors to fix them is not nice. — foxlit (talk) 20:11, 28 May 2017 (UTC)
I wasn't aware that I was doing anything wrong. I was simply following the instructions of what this webpage told me to do.. It directed me to ask in the village forum for help, to delink and to name it the way I did so it would be easier for other members to help me.. so, just following what the site told me to do.. Is there something wrong with the videos or abusive in anyway? I didn't read the external link policy, so my apologies. Warcraft4k (talk) 20:34, 28 May 2017 (UTC)
O hey, I just hit 10 edits, so I guess I can add the videos now lol
Warcraft4k (talk) 20:39, 28 May 2017 (UTC)
- While the automated filtering will probably not stop you should you try to re-insert those video links, doing so would violate the spirit of WP:EL, and the consequences set out in that policy are quite clear. Please do make 10 good faith non-meta edits that are not related to advertising external content before reinstating those videos or adding new ones.
- I presently offer no opinion on whether play-through videos make sense on zone articles. — foxlit (talk) 22:57, 28 May 2017 (UTC)
Of course, I was kidding. I think we've gotten off on the wrong foot here. I just want to clear something up. I didn't post in this section to circumvent any rule. I posted my video links here to get approval. It is was my understand that this was the step to take to get the video posted and I thought I was granted permission since another member added the video. Warcraft4k (talk) 11:43, 29 May 2017 (UTC)
- Saw that, every single time he edits is to post his own stuff. -- MyMindWontQuiet 11:31, 1 July 2017 (UTC)
Any tips on how I could make some useful edits? I'm just starting to learn the lore, so I feel I won't be able to contribute in that matter.. What about if I add the intros of each starter zone in their respectable pages in 4K Would you want that on your site? Warcraft4k (talk) 15:27, 5 June 2017 (UTC)
- Well if you want to learn how to make some useful edits, we have a page of TODO things. Not all of them are easy for beginners, but some are rather useful, like the pages needing new pictures. Otherwise, did you play Warcraft I/II/III? Did you play WoW before Cataclysm? A lot of old pages could use some love! Xporc (talk) 15:52, 5 June 2017 (UTC)
- Even just fixing typos and grammar mistakes you find across articles or rephrasing overly complicated sentences is cooL -- MyMindWontQuiet 11:31, 1 July 2017 (UTC)