Forum:Vote: Maldraxxi or Necrolord
Voting on the name for the race page for the various maldraxxus races; since we're all in agreement at least that pages like Maldraxxus gladiator and Maldraxxus skeleton can just be merged into one concrete page since they're all the same race. (This was also specified in a recent post BlizzConline interview that everyone comes to Maldraxxus and gets shaped all the same, including Draka and Mograine.). --Berenal (talk) 20:39, 22 March 2021 (UTC)
|This proposal was accepted by a winning the Maldraxxi vote according to Wowpedia Voting policy.
- I am personally in favor of Maldraxxi, it's used far more often than Necrolord. Necrolord also seems more directed towards the loyalties of the primus, whereas Maldraxxi like Kel'thuzad and Gharmal were certainly not loyal to him. --Berenal (talk) 20:39, 22 March 2021 (UTC)
- I feel Maldraxxi better describes the race, whereas Necrolord seems to point more towards the faction. -- Dark T Zeratul (talk) 21:36, 22 March 2021 (UTC)
- Same thoughts as Dark T Zeratul. — 21:49, 22 March 2021 (UTC)
- where possible, i prefer to avoid giving two pages very similar names (as would be the case with Necrolord & Necrolord Covenant). and i agree with DTZ. Eithris (talk) 22:59, 22 March 2021 (UTC)
- I second what Berenal and Dark T Zeratul said. Necrolords = the covenant faction loyal to the Primus; Maldraxxi = the races from Maldraxxus. -- Aeliren85 (talk) 14:43, 27 March 2021 (UTC)
- Changed my vote based on quest, in the quest text The Accuser mentioning "Maldraxxi" and "your kind" and also in the quest "Kael'thas Sunstrider says: A Maldraxxi who was once an orc" for Draka. Mrforesttroll (talk) 16:33, 3 April 2021 (UTC)
- I agree for Maldraxxi after reading about the quest . WardsJames (talk) 17:35, 3 April 2021 (UTC)
- Same here, Maldraxxi is the closest thing to a "race name" while Necrolord seems to be more about the faction(s)/the forces. -- MyMindWontQuiet (talk) 12:15, 12 April 2021 (UTC)
- I'm in favor of Necrolord, given it's the proper descriptor of the forces of Maldraxxus as an umbrella when you're joining and in major questlines; Maldraxxi is a demonym for "Necrolords of Maldraxxus". User:Baalqliphoth(talk) 20:41, 22 March 2021 (UTC)
- To further complicate the issue and lead credence to Necrolord of Maldraxxus = Maldraxxi (demonym for forces of Maldraxxus) = Undying Army (literal descriptor of the Necrolords and Maldraxxi), almost every single NPC within the Seat of the Primus as a Necrolord player is labeled "The Undying Army", INCLUDING Draka
- I agree with Baal. -- DeludedTroll (talk • contribs) 00:34, 23 March 2021 (UTC)
- If pages are merged then Necrolord, same as with Venthyr and Kyrian having both a race page and a covenant page. Mrforesttroll (talk) 15:14, 24 March 2021 (UTC)
- Which one did you have in mind? Lost Codex, Blizz official preview, the other one too, SL website, polygon article are the ones I managed to find, not sure if any of them were what you were thinking about User:Baalqliphoth(talk) 00:23, 23 March 2021 (UTC)
- Oh and another mention in question 12 of this french article, english translation in another tab (forgot the French hyphen it) User:Baalqliphoth(talk) 00:25, 23 March 2021 (UTC)
- Thanks! Was referring to the one Berenal mentioned above, and it looks like it's in these links. It explains how Maldraxxus forms are upgraded / downgraded.
- Double-checked the terms Maldraxxi and Necrolord on wowhead's description texts, and Necrolord tends to refer to the covenant/faction, not a race. The term Maldraxxi looks like a demonym for Maldraxxus, so technically not a race either, but I imagine if there's a need for an umbrella term, it could be Maldraxxi. Mordecay (talk) 09:45, 23 March 2021 (UTC)
- My thing is if it's Necrolord, it would allow us to put the lore stuff (organization, leadership, intra-house dynamics) that is currently on the Covenant page, contrary to how all the other covenant pages are. Necrolord page would be Organization (Margraves, Barons), "Types" within each house, etc., since they are properly understood as the leader of the Necrolords of Maldraxxus (ie all the forces of Maldraxxus), whereas Maldraxxi is just the "masses" demonym of the realm. User:Baalqliphoth(talk) 19:42, 25 March 2021 (UTC)
Mawsworn similar situation?
I want to bring up Mawsworn which could with their many forms be compered to the Necrolord race, I created many of the sub type pages for Mawsworn but they could be merged into a single page. 1. A single page comparable with Frostborn a page for both a faction and race, or 2. on two pages where I don't know what the two pages may be called. This might best be left for when we have more 9.1 information, I just wanted to bring the subject up for discussion if a similar merging may be best. Mrforesttroll (talk) 15:14, 24 March 2021 (UTC)
- Mawsworn was brought up as being merged as well; we're just looking at the formatting for it, but that too will be merged.--Berenal (talk) 15:22, 24 March 2021 (UTC)
- Ye, also maybe just add a bit to the Kyrian page under Forsworn that Mawsworn Kyrian are created by Helya from the ranks of the ForswornUser:Baalqliphoth(talk) 17:49, 24 March 2021 (UTC)
- Talk:Tormenter#Possible Mawsworn race name stand in, a potential name for a separate Mawsworn creature page if noting better comes up. Mrforesttroll (talk) 17:22, 14 April 2021 (UTC)
For a vote, see #"Mawsworn (creature)" Proposal.
NPC pages and categories
Regardless of which name is picked, we'll still keep the individual race categories (Category:Maldraxxus gladiators, Category:Maldraxxus abominations etc.) and keep linking to "gladiator", "abomination", "aranakk" etc. in character infoboxes, right? -- DeludedTroll (talk • contribs) 17:14, 27 March 2021 (UTC)
- Categories, I believe so, as for infoboxes I think it'd just swap to the uniform Maldraxxi/Necrolord; since we don't differentiate race for most other models. This is going to be the case for the Mawsworn.--Berenal (talk) 03:06, 30 March 2021 (UTC)
- Aranakk specifically are a separate race though; at least one quest states they were created by the Primus, but we also see Kearnan in the shape of one. It's a both/and situation within the narrative. Same principle as "abomination" and "lich" in a sense, as unique type of beings within the larger army.User:Baalqliphoth(talk) 04:50, 30 March 2021 (UTC)
- It's not like different Maldraxxi types are just different models for the same thing, though. Liches, abominations, gladiators, aranakk etc. are all distinct things even though they're all part of the same category of beings. Listing Khaliiq's race as the generic "Maldraxxi" or "Necrolord" instead of "aranakk" seems like a very strange choice to me. IMO there's no reason not to use the terms "aranakk" or "abomination" when talking about an aranakk or abomination, even if those links are just turned into section redirects. (I guess it'd be "Maldraxxi abomination" in the abominations' case to distinguish them from the Scourge/Forsaken ones, but you know what I mean.)
- (I similarly feel that it'd be better to use "praetor", "goliath", and "colossus" in centurion infoboxes instead of just listing the race as "centurion".) -- DeludedTroll (talk • contribs) 16:03, 1 April 2021 (UTC)
- I dunno if it'll come to it but if we need to we can also do a follow up vote once we are wrapped up with the voting process.--Berenal (talk) 20:38, 1 April 2021 (UTC)
- Did Blizzard present gladiators as gladiators, though? I thought the distinction only existed because they have a different model. -- Dark T Zeratul (talk) 22:19, 1 April 2021 (UTC)
- initially i leaned toward just using "Maldraxxi" or "Necrolord" as a race link (whichever won). but thinkin' about it, yeah, the "_____ abomination" / "_____ gladiator" format would probably be best. either name is gonna feel more elegant than "Maldraxxus abomination," which basically solves my dislike for it. Eithris (talk) 18:28, 3 April 2021 (UTC)
"Mawsworn (creature)" Proposal
|This is a proposal and requires a vote to be accepted or declined.
"Mawsworn (creature)", alternatively "Mawsworn (race)" for the creature page, as the page under Mawsworn is the current page in it's broader meaning a faction that includes other races/creatures. Just minions who's genesis is creation by the Jailer or his minions from the Maw. In place of current Maw guard, Maw caster, Tormenter, Maw necromancer, Maw fog beast and Husk pages. Mrforesttroll (talk) 07:08, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
- Similarly to forms on Maldraxxi page I would divide the page into sections by forms: Maw guard section (based on name in concept art including Maw casters) for clearly animated suits of armor, Mawsworn kyrian section, Charred behemoth section, Shade section (with a SeeAlso to the Shade page), Beasts section (small section with Main links to Shadehound and Soul eater as those are defined) and "Others" section for all other types that are even not defined at all (with simple visual observations like Drust Variants section) including those that may or may not be animated suits of armor and including a simple mention of soul seeker and Mawsworn crawling hands. All these sections would have galleries to visually show all types of Mawsworn creatures. Mrforesttroll (talk) 19:10, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
|A vote is in progress!
Support creation of "Mawsworn (creature)" page
- Mrforesttroll (talk) 07:08, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
- For it given the "armor" Mawsworn are shown to be shades bound in Domination armor made from Stygia through runes in multiple Venari quests, and the new Bound Shadehound questline too. It's a specific type/subtype of creature produced within the Maw via a specific process. User:Baalqliphoth(talk) 19:25, 17 April 2021 (UTC)
- No DeludedTroll (talk • contribs) 09:42, 18 April 2021 (UTC) - (I don't see any practical reason to have two pages about the same thing. It would just be splitting the page for the sake of splitting the page.)
- No Berenal (talk) 13:48, 18 April 2021 (UTC) - (We've already stated we'll be merging the Mawsworn stuff into one page, and I believe we stated that the Mawsworn page, even if it has other information on it, could still host this.)
- I think it breaks the infobox in some way was the reason why. If that still stands, this vote is impossible.--Berenal (talk) 13:49, 18 April 2021 (UTC)
- Treating Forsaken as both a race and a faction has worked fine for years. When it comes to infoboxes, we just put "Forsaken" in the "race" field for typical Forsaken undead, and in the "faction" field for other members of the Forsaken faction like abominations or banshees (at least in cases where there aren't better, more specific options like Undercity (faction) or Hand of Vengeance). I don't see the issue with doing the same thing here; put "Mawsworn" in the "race" field for the shades-in-armor, and the "faction" field for characters of other races who are also allied with the Jailer.
- Technically, is there even anything calling Helya, Mueh'zala, Sylvanas, Kel'Thuzad etc. "Mawsworn" (and not just "allied with the Maw" or whatever)? I'm fine with listing those as Mawsworn on the wiki, but off the top of my head, all the canonical uses of "Mawsworn" I've seen have referred specifically to the different types of shades-in-armor plus the corrupted kyrian. -- DeludedTroll (talk • contribs) 14:04, 18 April 2021 (UTC)
- I thought that based on the Mawsworn similar situation section above, the Mawsworn page would be discussed, which this vote should be changed to.
- From what I can see on the pages like Maw caster and Maw guard have names either taken from concept art or sound files (with the exception of Charred behemoth, soul seeker, soul eater, from the Maw preview). Agreed with what Troll says should be fine. Where do Maw necromancer fall into? Maybe, to be 100% sure and for future reference and for editors to know, someone could make a list about which of these would have Mawsworn as race and which as a faction. -- Mordecay (talk) 14:42, 18 April 2021 (UTC)