You can access the Friends List via the Real ID icon above your chat window (default key shortcut of O).
The Friends List pane also has three sub-panes accessible from tabs at the top of the pane:
- Friends (the default)
Most of the Friends pane consist of the list of Friends, each entry showing the following info:
At the bottom, the pane has two buttons:
- Add Friend
- Send Message
This button brings up a box where you can type in a player's name or email address to add them to your friends list. If you choose to enter an email address, your partner gets a notification and has to choose whether he wants to add you as a Real ID friend or not.
This button removes the selected player's name from your friends list.
If the selected friend is online, this button sends a private tell to them. You type your private message in a chat box that appears at the bottom of the screen.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): The Social Icon from the central menu bar has been removed.
- Patch 3.3.5 (2010-06-22):
- A new icon has been added to the top left of the Chat Frame which will open up the Friends list.
- In addition to its current functionality, the Friends List will now allow players to add Battle.net accounts (Real ID). Players will have to confirm that they are friends in order for a Real ID to be added. Once Real ID friends, players can communicate cross-game, cross-faction and cross-realm.
- A new Pending tab has been added where players can accept or decline a Real ID friend request, or select the Report Spam or Block Communications buttons.
- Players can now select from three statuses which will be visible to their friends: Available, Away and Busy.
- A Broadcast window has been added to the top of the frame. Players can use this to broadcast a message to all of their Real ID friends online. This message will also be displayed under the broadcaster's Real ID information in each friend's list.