Gilneas (starting zone)
- This article is about the worgen starting zone. For the region and its lore after the invasion, see Ruins of Gilneas. For other uses, see Gilneas (disambiguation).
|Level: 1 - 20|
Battle Pet Level: 1 - 4
|Affiliation||Kingdom of Gilneas, Night elves, Bloodfang pack, Wolf Cult, Forsaken, Horde|
Questing begins with Gilneas City under attack by feral worgen, then expands to the area surrounding the town of Duskhaven, showing the effects of the Cataclysm and the Forsaken invasion of Gilneas. It continues with the introduction of the night elves and the events of the Blackwald, building up to and the last stand against the Forsaken and Horde forces in the western section of the peninsula, and finally culminating in the exodus of the Gilneans to Darnassus.
- For the history of the region, see the History section on Ruins of Gilneas.
- For the history of the kingdom, see the History section on the Kingdom of Gilneas.
- For the geography of the region, see the Geography section on Ruins of Gilneas.
Maps and subregions
|Zone Name||Faction||Level Range||Direction||Access|
|Teldrassil||1 - 20||Northwest across the sea||Via evacuation boat|
- Main article: Gilneas NPCs
- Main article: Worgen starting experience
Resources found in Gilneas are similar to other starting zones in World of Warcraft and include:
Please add any available information to this section.
Notes and trivia
- The Ruins of Gilneas were added as an accessible zone in patch 4.0.3a, two weeks before the release of World of Warcraft: Cataclysm; it is what remains of Gilneas after the worgen starting area (similar to the Ruins of the Scarlet Enclave in the Eastern Plaguelands). Prior to patch 4.0.3a, on the other side of the Greymane Wall there was only a small, flat area, bordered by the ocean.
- Gilneas was once the only brand new zone that could be accessed without first having Cataclysm, though now all players can access Kezan and Gilneas without purchasing the expansion.
- Horde players questing in nearby Silverpine Forest have a small quest chain that involves venturing through the Ruins of Gilneas.
- If you get a view of the inner side of the wall you may see that the inner gate is broken down from the inside.
- After patch 3.1.0, the loading screen/ship route from Menethil Harbor to Theramore Isle no longer crosses Gilneas.
- Thorn sprites and sea hags were among the creatures that were concepted but never truly created for Gilneas.
Initial concept layout. (seen at BlizzCon 2009).
- Patch 7.3.5 (2018-01-16): Level scaling implemented, previous zone levels: 1 - 5 for Gilneas City and 5 - 12 for the zone itself.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Added.
- Kezan, its counterpart