|The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 4.0.3a.
|Former affiliation(s)||Royal Apothecary Society, Forsaken, Warsong Offensive, Horde|
|Occupation||Chief Apothecary of the Society, Alchemist|
“Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had FORGIVEN?”
- — Putress at Angrathar the Wrathgate
- 1 Biography
- 2 Quests
- 3 Quotes
- 4 Notes and trivia
- 5 Gallery
- 6 Videos
- 7 Patch changes
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
This section concerns content related to The Burning Crusade.
Grand Apothecary Putress was an important figure during the second Scourge Invasion, researching the zombie infestation from an apothecary camp in Shattrath City. Eventually, he began sending Horde members back to their capital cities with severed Scourge heads that had zombie brains containing both the plague and his anti-plague compound which partially cured them. Putress believed his research on the Scourge contagion held the secret to curing the Plague of Undeath and also would facilitate their fight against the Scourge. As he expected, his research eventually helped to end of the zombie invasion. When Warchief Thrall called for a meeting in Orgrimmar with other Horde leaders to discuss how to deal with the Scourge, Putress was present. Sylvanas Windrunner offered Putress's services to Thrall citing that his knowledge of the plague would make him a valuable asset in the campaign against the Lich King.
Battle for the Undercity
In the early stages of the Northrend Campaign, the Royal Apothecary Society put the finishing touches on the Forsaken blight, a new plague that not only killed living creatures but also destroyed the undead. In the middle of the battle at Angrathar the Wrathgate, after Dranosh Saurfang was slain by the Lich King, Putress appeared on a cliff overlooking the battlefield and used Forsaken catapults to unleash the blight on the unsuspecting forces gathered below, indiscriminately killing Scourge, Horde, and Alliance alike and forcing the Lich King to retreat back into Icecrown Citadel. The losses on all sides were great, and perhaps the greatest loss of all was the presumed death of Highlord Bolvar Fordragon.
In the aftermath of the battle, it was revealed that Putress and several members of the Royal Apothecary Society had sided with Varimathras, who had secretly remained loyal to his nathrezim brothers and the Burning Legion while serving under Sylvanas Windrunner. Together, they had orchestrated a coup d'état and forcefully taken control of the Undercity, nearly killing Sylvanas in the process. While the Horde banded together with Thrall and Sylvanas to kill Varimathras and retake the Undercity, assaulting it directly, the Alliance joined with King Varian Wrynn and Jaina Proudmoore, embittered by the loss of Bolvar, to invade the city via the sewers to deal with Putress and retake Lordaeron. Ultimately, Putress was killed in Varian's manhunt, and the king was left to gaze at the full horror of the Royal Apothecary Society's work. Putress' head was then severed from his body and Varian tossed it to Thrall's feet.
- Blight Overload - The caster is overloaded with Blight.
- Blight Barrel - Throws a Blight Barrel at the foe, dealing 4163 to 4837 shadow damage and inflicts 1850 to 2150 shadow damage every sec. for 6 secs.
- Unholy Frenzy - Increases an ally's attack speed and damage dealt by 50% for 20 sec.
His first appearance was as a level 80 elite at the new apothecary camp on the Terrace of Light in Shattrath City during the Echoes of Doom Scourge Invasion, where he was involved with the following quests:
- Before an invasion in Orgrimmar
<Putress looks you over in a very unsettling fashion.>
Aren't you a remarkable specimen....
Have you considered making a sacrifice for the greater good?
- During an invasion in Orgrimmar
Do you know who I am?! I'm a very important person! You're supposed to be protecting me from the Scourge, no dilly-dallying with pointless conversation!
I'm no fighter, but you are. So get out there!
- In Shattrath City after
Despite this turning point in history, there is still so much to discover. I have more experiments to conduct... test subjects to acquire...
- Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken! Death to the Scourge! And death to the living!
- Now, all can see this is the hour of the Forsaken.
The Battle For Undercity
- Do not let them pass minions!
- KILL THEM! My work must not be interrupted!
- Stare into the abyss and watch as it blackens your souls!
- You are no match for my creations!
- This cannot be happening!
- It will not end like this! I've worked too hard! So many years... I... I will consume more energy!
- The power washes through me! I see... EVERYTHING!
- MORE SUFFERING AWAITS!
Notes and trivia
- He was one of two known grand apothecaries in the Society, the other being Doctor Sintar Malefious.
- His mask may be a reference to the crow masks worn by plague doctors during the Black Death, though it looks more like a horse skull in art.
- Both versions of Deathbringer Garb, the warlock Tier 8 set, are recolors of Grand Apothecary Putress's outfit.
- His armor resembles that of the Avatar of Grenth from Guild Wars.
- Putress' Wrathgate quote, "death to the Scourge and death to the living!", has become somewhat iconic among some Forsaken players.
- In the League of Explorers adventure of Hearthstone, Putress' vial is located in the Hall of Explorers wing. Elise Starseeker says that "It says "DRINK ME", but we found it in Naxxramas, so no one's wanted to try."
- Putress is voiced by David Lodge.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Removed.
- Patch 3.0.3 (2008-11-04): Seen during Battle for the Undercity.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Added.
Master Apothecary Faranell
Chief Apothecary of the Royal Apothecary Society
Master Apothecary Faranell