The Great Forge (situated in the Great Forge District) is the heart and namesake of the dwarf capital of Ironforge. It was the first part of the city to be built by the early dwarves who first settled under Ironforge Mountain. The rest of the city grew around it and was consequently named "Ironforge" in its honor.
The Great Forge never shuts down. It's a loud, hot, and cheerful place, serving not only as the physical center of the city, but also the central part of city life. Most citizens regularly pass through the forge, while visitors come to admire what is happening there. The current keeper of the Great Forge is Myolor Sunderfury. At its center is the famed Great Anvil, where most of the best dwarven blacksmithing trainers can be found. Ringed around the Great Forge are several foundries pouring molten slag and a great deal of shops and guild offices, including trainers for cooking, mining, first aid, tailoring and leatherworking, as well as the High Seat, the court of the Council of Three Hammers. Ironforge's gryphon master Gryth Thurden is also located here.
Two bells were created here. As a token of friendship, the dwarves sent one to Lordaeron and the other to Stormwind City. It was also here, upon the Great Anvil itself, that the legendary blade Ashbringer was forged by King Magni Bronzebeard.
Shops found on the outer edge of the Great Forge:
- The Bronze Kettle
- Burbik's Supplies
- Cask 'n' Anvil
- Deepmountain Mining & Jewelcrafting
- Finespindle's Leather Goods
- Ironforge Physician
- Stonebrow's Clothier
- Thistlefuzz Arcanery
- Ironus Coldsteel <Blacksmith Trainer>
- Bengus Deepforge <Blacksmithing Trainer>
- Thurgrum Deepforge <Blacksmithing Supplies>
- Tormus Deepforge
- Brombar Higgleby <The Keymaster>
- Groum Stonebeard <Apprentice Blacksmith>
- Rotgath Stonebeard <Apprentice Blacksmith>
- Myolor Sunderfury
Excluding the above areas:
- Ambassador Slaghammer
- Farseer Eannu <The Earthen Ring>
- Farseer Javad <Shaman Trainer>
- Gryth Thurden <Gryphon Master>
- Captain Stonehelm <Ironforge Quartermaster>
- Master Tinker Trini <Gnomeregan Quartermaster>
- Sraaz <Pie Vendor>
- Grumnus Steelshaper <Blacksmithing Trainer>
- Officer Ironbeard <Ironforge Commendations>
In the RPG
At Ironforge's bottom there is a molten pit called the Great Forge. Anvils on pedestals circle the pit, each manned by an Ironforge master smith diligently hammering weapons or mail. The Great Forge is a wonder of the known world, and many young smiths make pilgrimages to see this spectacular edifice for themselves.
The Great Forge is depicted close to its World of Warcraft incarnation.