Commander of the Westfall Brigade, The Westfall Brigade,
Knights of the Silver Hand
Captain, The People's Militia
|Affiliation(s)||Westfall Brigade, Stormwind Army, Knights of the Silver Hand, Kingdom of Stormwind, Alliance|
|Former affiliation(s)||People's Militia, Alliance of Lordaeron|
|Occupation||Ruler of Westfall, Marshal of the Stormwind Army, Commander of the Westfall Brigade, Representative member of the Silver Hand|
|Former occupation(s)||Captain of the Stormwind Army, Founder and leader of the People's Militia|
Sentinel Hill (lore);|
- — Marshal Gryan Stoutmantle during the Legion Invasions
Marshal Gryan Stoutmantle is a human paladin located at Sentinel Hill, in Westfall. He is a paladin of the Order of the Silver Hand and the leader of the Westfall Brigade, formerly the People's Militia.
As a marshal of the Kingdom of Stormwind, he is the ruler and law enforcer of Westfall, leading the Brigade's efforts to restore the region to its former glory. He is notably the one who organized the resistance against the Defias Brotherhood, putting an end to their actions and crimes by calling on Alliance heroes to eliminate their leader Edwin VanCleef.
During the Scourgewar, he led the Westfall Brigade as their captain in the Grizzly Hills, where they supported the Alliance advance in Northrend. Following the fall of Lich King, Gryan was promoted Marshal with orders to secure and rebuild Westfall. At the time of the Cataclysm, he faced the resurgence of the Defias Brotherhood led by Vanessa VanCleef, and once again managed to drive them out of Westfall with the help of heroes of the Alliance.
During the third invasion of the Burning Legion, Gryan Stoutmantle joined the Order of the Silver Hand at the Sanctum of Light and led the defense of Westfall during the demonic invasions. Following the Fourth War, he continues to ensure the reconstruction of Sentinel Hill, and work alongside the SI:7 to protect the region and its inhabitants.
Gryan Stoutmantle was present when Prince Arthas Menethil purged the city of Stratholme, killing almost all of its citizens to prevent them from becoming part of the Scourge. What role Gryan played in those events is unknown, but he manages to survive the purge and escape the undead.
While he performed his duty on the battlefields of Lordaeron during the Third War, he learned that the Defias Brotherhood had emerged in Westfall and left the battlefield to tend to the troubles back home in order to save and protect the honest farms which were overrun and made into hide-outs by thugs and murderers.
World of Warcraft
Due to the corruption of the Stormwind House of Nobles by Lady Katrana Prestor, Westfall did not get the military support it would have needed to defeat the Defias Brotherhood. Considering that Stormwind had abandoned their cause, Stoutmantle founded and became the leader of the People's Militia in order to keep the land free from corruption. In his efforts to defend the people of Westfall from the Defias, he recruited the young heroes of the Alliance sent by some of his friends in the kingdom. As their goal was to defend and return peace to Westfall, he sent adventurers to eliminate large numbers of Defias spotted by his scouts across the region.
When Gryan received a plea from Magistrate Solomon, asking him to lend some support at Lakeshire until the King sends reserves to help them protect the Redridge Mountains, he had no choice but to refuse, realizing that the Magistrate knew nothing about the war raging in Westfall. In response, he sent back a letter where he apologized for not being able to help them and that he needed to keep the Militia by his side, otherwise Westfall would fall.
To discover the position of the Defias headquarters and the identity of their leader, Stoutmantle sent an adventurer to meet Wiley the Black at the inn of Lakeshire. The rogue sent a letter to the paladin, explaining that he was risking his life by telling them that the Defias were up to something big, and that they were working in conjunction with various gnolls, kobolds and even goblins. Gryan mentioned that he should have let him rot when he had the chance but was pleased with the crucial information. Learning that the Defias were certainly related to the Stonemasons, Gryan sent a letter to Mathias Shaw of the SI:7 for more information. Thanks to the Spymaster, he learned that the leader of the Brotherhood was Edwin VanCleef himself, once the leader of the Stonemasons' Guild and the man responsible for rebuilding Stormwind City after the orcs razed it during the First War. To make sure it was him, the paladin sent an adventurer to intercept a messenger who confirmed the identity of the Kingpin.
While the adventurer intercepted the messenger, Gryan and the People's Militia captured a thief trying to steal Saldean's wagon. They forced the thief, who became known as the Defias Traitor, to show them the location of the Defias secret Hideout. Thanks to this, Stoutmantle found out that the leaders of the Defias Brotherhood were hiding in the Deadmines, hidden in the town of Moonbrook. Once again, he called upon the heroes of the Alliance and sent them in the Deadmines on a mission to kill Edwin VanCleef. With support from Stoutmantle's soldiers, the heroes succeeded and Westfall was safe once again.
Wrath of the Lich King
With Westfall safe once more since the death of Edwin VanCleef, the People's Militia was renamed the Westfall Brigade and was established as an official army of Stormwind. Gryan Stoutmantle was promoted to Captain and Commander of the Westfall Brigade, he also has his own squire by the name of Walter.
During the war against the Lich King, the Westfall Brigade was sent in the east of the Grizzly Hills to look for a path into the northern territories of the Northrend. Their secondary objective was to secure strategic resource points for the Alliance. At their head, Stoutmantle established the Westfall Brigade Encampment as their headquarters in the region.
As he left half of his soldiers in western Grizzly Hills to fight the Horde for the control of Venture Bay and its vast amounts of lumber, Gryan could not send his men to check out the Hollowstone Mine, but instead, sent an adventurer to help Petrov to see if the operations can be salvaged in order to use the additional resources until the mine of Farshire was operational again. He was subsequently frustrated when he learned that the only functioning mine on their side of the hills was full of undead, and expressed his doubts about the presence of Arugal in the region, claiming that the latter had been dead for years.
Later, Stoutmantle received orders to halt Brugar Stoneshear's and the Explorer's League's research of Thor Modan in order to make use of the tunnels for military purposes. The paladin understood that the dwarves would not be happy with this situation, but justifies it by the fact that the network of tunnels beneath the ancient iron dwarf city is the quickest way to move their forces to Icecrown Glacier. To avoid a conflict, he asked an adventurer to bring a cask of moonshine to calm the dwarves, which proved to be effective.
Following the fall of Lich King, Gryan returned to Sentinel Hill with the Westfall Brigade and was promoted Marshal with orders to secure and rebuild Westfall. When he returned from the Grizzly Hills, he only found the land in worse condition than when he left, and that the war left thousands of homeless citizens who have since migrated to the deserted farmhouses and towns of the region. He turned Sentinel Hill into a stronghold, while King Varian Wrynn sent supplies, troops, and siege engines in hopes of rebuilding the former breadbasket of the kingdom and to house the citizens of Stormwind whose homes were destroyed during the Cataclysm.
He later called adventurers to help his men fend off the gnolls of the Riverpaw pack who keep attacking their positions, and to find the one who leads them. After reading the gnolls' attack orders, he learned of the existence of Helix Gearbreaker and an unknown admiral. He tried to interrogate an imprisoned worgen named Ripsnarl about it, however, the latter only announced the end for them, which Stoutmantle did not take seriously.
After receiving a letter from Mathias Shaw who explained that the SI:7 has been tracking Helix Gearbreaker since he entered Alliance territory two weeks ago, and that he sent Agent Kearnen to Westfall, Stoutmantle sent an adventurer to inform her that the goblin is responsible for the gnoll attacks. He later received a report of what happened in Mortwake's Tower, about the discussion between Helix and the Shadowy Figure, and that the latter would make a final speech before the dawning in Moonbrook. Consequently, the paladin sent an adventurer to meet Captain Alpert, one of his best men guarding the city with a company of Sentinel Hill troopers, in order to learn more about what's going on in Moonbrook. He also advised them to talk with Thoralius, a wise and powerful shaman that he met in Northrend.
Through a report, Gryan learned of the revolution among the refugees in the region against the kingdom and the Alliance, but above all, that Edwin VanCleef had a daughter who witnessed the death of her father at the hands of the adventurers he had sent a few years ago. Still reeling from these revelations, Stoutmantle lamented this tragedy, before realizing that something was wrong. At the same time, Sentinel Hill was attacked, and like the rest of the forces of Stormwind present, Gryan was incapacitated. He then discovered that Hope Saldean was behind the attack, and that she was Vanessa VanCleef, daughter of Edwin VanCleef and the current Kingpin of the Defias Brotherhood. After freeing Ripsnarl who was the mysterious admiral, Vanessa and her minions forced Gryan to watch as they burned Sentinel Hill to the ground before they left.
Once free, Stoutmantle ordered the adventurer to make an emergency report of the situation to Stormwind, while the Westfall Brigade was busy putting out the fires and eliminating the Defias still present. Once the situation under control, the paladin received a report from Grand Admiral Jes-Tereth who informed him that she had sent troops from the capital to help them against the Defias Brotherhood. He later explained that even if the Defias posed a great threat, they certainly couldn't just enter their hideout, and asked the adventurers to give him time to prepare their assault, before sending them to help Magistrate Solomon at Lakeshire.
Later, the Alliance heroes and Stormwind forces entered the Deadmines, where they wiped out all of the Defias and managed to "kill" Vanessa VanCleef, ending her plans and the activities of the Brotherhood in Westfall.
Following the death of Tirion Fordring during the Battle for Broken Shore, Gryan traveled to the Sanctum of Light beneath Light's Hope Chapel, and joined the Knights of the Silver Hand to serve its new Highlord.
Following the victory of the Silver Hand against Balnazzar at the Netherlight Temple, Stoutmantle represented the order when he met Khadgar and Velen at Krasus' Landing in Dalaran to discuss the Pillars of Creation, and during the formation of the Armies of Legionfall with the other class orders.
Following the Fourth War, according to Mathias Shaw, Gryan Stoutmantle is present at Sentinel Hill where he is responsible for ensuring the reconstruction and fortification of the stronghold following the severity of the attacks of the Defias Brotherhood in the past. He also makes sure that the Westfall Brigade works with the SI:7 in order to deal with the troublemakers in the region and keep at bay the gnolls of the Riverpaw pack, who became less well-organized after Hogger's death.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Culling of Stratholme (instance)||70||4,299|
|Sanctum of Light||100||5,047,846|
- Stage 1
Start of the first battle:
- Marshal Gryan Stoutmantle yells: Legion ships on the horizon! All forces to Sentinel Hill!
- Marshal Gryan Stoutmantle yells: The sky burns, allies! The Legion comes at us again!
- Marshal Gryan Stoutmantle yells: Prepare for battle! We won't allow the Legion to destroy what we've built here!
During the battle:
- Marshal Gryan Stoutmantle yells: Close ranks! We make our stand here!
- Marshal Gryan Stoutmantle yells: Ready your blades, allies! The battle begins!
- Marshal Gryan Stoutmantle yells: Steel at the ready! We have incoming!
- Stage 2
The Demon Commander appears:
- Marshal Gryan Stoutmantle yells: We must drive them back! Focus on their commanders!
- Marshal Gryan Stoutmantle yells: The doomguards make their descent! Ready at the Hill!
- Marshal Gryan Stoutmantle yells: Allies of all flags and kingdoms, time to fight for our lands is now!
- Stage 3
Start of the third battle:
- Marshal Gryan Stoutmantle yells: All forces, spread out! Legion corruption rises in all directions!
- Marshal Gryan Stoutmantle yells: Make haste! Spread throughout the lands! Purge this infestation!
- Marshal Gryan Stoutmantle yells: Take back what is ours! Show these demons their way back to the Nether!
During the battle:
- Marshal Gryan Stoutmantle yells: They aren't letting up! Hold strong!
- Marshal Gryan Stoutmantle yells: We hold the Hill for Stormwind; for all of Azeroth!
- Marshal Gryan Stoutmantle yells: Do not give ground! Do not yield! Fight on!
- Marshal Gryan Stoutmantle yells: More camps on the horizon! Bring them down!
- Marshal Gryan Stoutmantle yells: Their forces have spread! We must not let them reach Stormwind!
- Marshal Gryan Stoutmantle yells: The Legion's determination grows! End this vile corruption at once!
- Final Stage
Start of the final battle:
- Marshal Gryan Stoutmantle yells: Your time on this world end now, demon! Allies, gather at Sentinel Hill!
- Marshal Gryan Stoutmantle yells: Quickly, heroes, defend the Hill! Slay the demon's master!
- Marshal Gryan Stoutmantle yells: To Sentinel Hill at once! Together we cast this demon back into the Twisting Nether!
Victory and end of the invasion:
- Marshal Gryan Stoutmantle yells: The Light shines in Westfall for another day, thanks to all of you. But we must remain vigilant!
- Marshal Gryan Stoutmantle yells: Thanks to your efforts, the Burning Legion has failed yet again. Westfall Brigade is in your debt.
- Marshal Gryan Stoutmantle yells: They may scorch our lands... They may slay our kin... but we will NEVER surrender! For Azeroth!
Stoutmantle's gossip text changes depending on how much questing you did in the pre-Cataclysm version of Westfall.
- No quests in Westfall
If the player didn't do any quests in Westfall:
- I left a war once to tend to the troubles back home in Westfall. That seems like a lifetime ago. Thank the Light that the Defias are no longer a threat.
- We're a long way from home up here, but if we don't win this battle, there may not be a Westfall to return to.
- No quests in Deadmines
- Hmm... something familiar about your face <race>... Give me a moment...
- Ah ha! Westfall, that is where I recognize you from. You are <name>! It's good to see you again. But, let's hope you can help us finish the job this time.
- Now we're a long way from Westfall up here, but if we don't win this battle, there may not be a home to return to.
- Completed the Deadmines quest
If the player killed VanCleef and delivered his head to Stoutmantle:
- <Name>! I hardly recognized you in your new outfit. Still have that tunic... or did you take the chausses... or was it the staff? I can't recall, it was so long ago...
- Well, I'm glad you are here to help out again. We could use all the help we can get. <Name>, if you perform the way you did back in Westfall with the People's Militia, we have a chance.
- These are dire times, if we don't win this battle, there may not be a Westfall to return to.
In subsequent meetings:
- With the Light's blessing and your help, <name>, the Defias are no longer a threat.
- But we're a long way from Westfall up here, and if we don't win this battle, there may not be a home to return to.
- Everywhere I look I see thieves. We, The People's Militia, must return this land to the farmers.
- A foul corruption has crept into Westfall. While I was upholding my duty on the battlefields of Lordaeron these honest farms were overrun and made into hide-outs for thugs and murderers. The People's Militia needs your help.
- The war in Northrend took its toll on us as a people, <name>. While we were victorious in the frozen wastes, our own land fell into disarray.
- Gryan is voiced by Dwight Schultz in Legion.
- In his appearance at the Sanctum of Light, Gryan wears Holy Warrior Plate and wields a and a .
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Level raised from 35 to 75.
- ^ a b
- ^ a b World of Warcraft: Exploring Azeroth: The Eastern Kingdoms, pg. 23
- ^ Gryan Stoutmantle#Westfall 2
- ^ World of Warcraft: Exploring Azeroth: The Eastern Kingdoms, pg. 22
- ^ World of Warcraft: Legion - Patch 7.2 – The Tomb of Sargeras Trailer
- ^ Andrea Toyias on Twitter (2016-09-15).