- For Halford Wyrmbane found on the Isle of Conquest, see High Commander Halford Wyrmbane (tactics).
- Not to be confused with Halfus Wyrmbreaker.
|Title||<7th Legion High Commander>|
|Affiliation(s)||7th Legion, Knights of the Silver Hand, Kingdom of Stormwind, Valiance Expedition, Alliance|
|Former affiliation(s)||Might of Kalimdor, Great Alliance, Alliance of Lordaeron|
|Occupation||Leader of the 7th Legion|
“Through the valleys and peaks of Mount Hyjal, across the shifting sands of Silithus, against the Legion's dread armies - we have fought. We are the nameless, faceless, sons and daughters of the Alliance. By the Light and by the might of the Alliance, the first strike belongs to us and the last strike is all that our enemies see. We are 7th Legion.”
- — Halford Wyrmbane
Once a knight in the ranks of the Alliance of Lordaeron who fought against the orcs during the Second War, he later became a paladin of the Order of the Silver Hand, before taking the leadership of the 7th Legion. As their High Commander, he led this elite special ops regiment composed of veterans in many battles, bringing victory to the Alliance on numerous occasions, including the Battle of Mount Hyjal at the time of the Third War.
During the War against the Lich King, he led the 7th Legion from Wintergarde Keep, a major Alliance base in the Dragonblight. Following the Cataclysm, he led his soldiers to Gilneas in order to reclaim the ruined kingdom from the Forsaken. At the time of the Fourth War, he led the 7th Legion's might against the Horde from the Wind's Redemption in Kul Tiras.
At the time of the Second War, Halford Wyrmbane served as a knight during the founding of the Order of the Silver Hand. Believing priestly orders couldn't mix with martial skills, he continued to focus only on combat training. After observing the first paladins, however, Wyrmbane became inspired by the faith and dedication of Turalyon. When the Alliance Expedition was presumed lost following the Invasion of Draenor, Wyrmbane realized that warriors could also be devout followers of the Light. Wyrmbane vowed to honor Turalyon's sacrifice by being both a soldier and a paladin, and later joined the ranks of the Knights of the Silver Hand.
At some point, he became the leader of the 7th Legion and had led his troops in crucial wars throughout recent times, timing back from the Battle of Mount Hyjal, and continues to lead the 7th Legion to this day.
Wrath of the Lich King
During the war against the Lich King, Halford commanded the 7th Legion forces from Wintergarde Keep, who served as their headquarters and the main Alliance base on the eastern borders of Dragonblight.
At some point during his campaign, he discovered the spies of the Cult of the Damned among his troops, and hanged them at the entrance of the keep to serve as ghoul baits. When adventurers were sent to warn him about the traitors, he announced their grim fate, before explaining the situation of the arrival of Naxxramas sent by the Lich King in response to a crushing assault led by Lord Bolvar Fordragon at Angrathar the Wrathgate. He then directed the adventurers into freeing trapped villagers from Scourge-occupied town center.
Once the citizens were rescued and back to work, Wyrmbane sent the Alliance heroes to meet Cavalier Durkon, one of his soldiers he had sent to investigate the town's crypt, as the undead who keep attacking the keep come from the ruins of Wintergarde and the town's crypt where the Scourge managed to send a necrolord. After the necrolord was eliminated and its tome returned to the High Commander, the latter redirected the adventurers to Inquisitor Hallard in order to interrogate Mayor Godfrey Goodard, now a ghoul in the service of the Scourge, so that he could reveal his masters' plans and the content in the book. Having thus learned for the existence of the Wintergarde Mausoleum, he dispatched Duke August Foehammer and Ambo Cash to the front lines in preparation for their next assault, and sent the adventurers to clear the Wintergarde Mine. He later thanked the adventurers for their efforts against the Scourge and helping to boost the morale of the troops, before sending them to report to Duke August Foehammer at Thorson's Post, in order to continue the offensive against the undead under the command of a lich.
Having learned of the existence of a book called , a journal that holds the prophetic ramblings of High General Abbendis of the Scarlet Onslaught, but also the motivations and goals of the Scarlet zealots, he accordingly requested a copy of the book from the Onslaught Base Camp. Once in possession of it, he wondered about the sanity of Abbendis who said to heard the Light speak to her, but that despite her ramblings, the book gave them a glimpse of the mind of the Scarlet zealots, and that Lord Bolvar would be pleased.
After coming into possession of the phylactery of the lich, Halford sent his men to accompany the adventurers and Lord Bolvar Fordragon to defeat Thel'zan the Duskbringer, formerly known as the treacherous priest Inigo Montoy of the Brotherhood of Light who was responsible for stealing the phylactery of Kel'Thuzad to the Argent Dawn, which — as it was not destroyed — allowed the Archlich to regain corporeal form.
Following the destruction of Thel'zan, Wyrmbane thanked the adventurers for saving Wintergarde, and also for restoring faith to Alliance forces in the region. He sent them to join the rest of their force at the Wrathgate with a special commendation, only given to those that have gone above and beyond the call of duty in the name of the Alliance.
During the Cataclysm, Halford Wyrmbane led the 7th Legion forces into the Ruins of Gilneas, supporting the Gilneas Liberation Front against the Forsaken in order to regain the kingdom for the Alliance. He ordered Master Sergeant Pietro Zaren to take and hold the Cathedral Quarter of Gilneas City, and then work with Lord Darius Crowley's worgen in order to advance into enemy territories, and thus destroy their outposts and lines of communication.
His plan was to allow troops to attack the Forsaken Forward Command, once the King Varian Wrynn's armada of warships arrives on the shores of the kingdom. He also mentions that once Gilneas was secured, the Alliance would prepare to retake Lordaeron. He was later present on the deck of the X-2 Pincer submarine when the rest of the fleet arrived.
For the rest of the campaign, Halford Wyrmbane was more than likely at the head of the Alliance forces in the region.
During the events of Legion, Halford Wyrmbane appears when an Alliance player reaches Prestige rank 2, alongside several other wartime leaders of the Alliance. There, he can be found among the procession using a sword similar to that of .
Learning that Turalyon was alive, how the Light had sustained and transformed him, and witnessing his return to Azeroth only strengthened Wyrmbane's resolve and devotion, feeling that his faith and his choice to become a paladin had been well placed all those years ago.
Battle for Azeroth
On King Anduin Wrynn's orders, the 7th Legion traveled to Kul Tiras with Genn Greymane to ensure that Jaina Proudmoore's mission of getting the Kul Tirans to rejoin the Alliance succeeded. Halford can be found aboard the Wind's Redemption docked at Boralus, where on orders from Anduin he directs the Alliance's operations to secure their position on Zandalar and Kul Tiras. Once footholds are secured, he co-leads the Alliance's war effort on Zandalar alongside Shandris Feathermoon.
A version of Halford appears in the Vision of Stormwind, the alternate timeline where N'Zoth takes over Stormwind. He had been captured by Inquisitor Darkspeak who attempted to break his mind and make him submit to the Void, but Halford refused to abandon the Light. Despite the adventurer slaying Halford's captor, his wounds proved too much and he died soon after, urging the adventurer to save the civilians of Stormwind with his last breath.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|High Commander Halford Wyrmbane (tactics)||111||18,785,184|
- Overpowering Strike — Slashes at the target, inflicting Physical damage and additional Physical damage every 2 sec for 12 sec.
Please add any available information to this section.
Gossip in Dragonblight
- Through the valleys and peaks of Mount Hyjal, across the shifting sands of Silithus, against the Legion's dread armies - we have fought. We are the nameless, faceless, sons and daughters of the Alliance. By the Light and by the might of the Alliance, the first strike belongs to us and the last strike is all that our enemies see.
- We are 7th Legion.
Battle for Azeroth
Please add any available information to this section.
- We are the sons and daughters of the Alliance.
- The Horde will fall.
- Your legend grows.
- Fate smiles upon us this day.
- You try my patience.
- Do you seek the brig, soldier?
- Do you want to know what happened to the first six legions? Do you want to find out?!
- By the Light, the first strike belongs to us.
- When next we meet.
- By the might of the Alliance, our enemies see only defeat.
- Our work has just begun.
- Light be with you.
- Boralus initial
- The 7th Legion represents the best that Azeroth has to offer.
- For the Alliance!
- Boralus later
The campaign proceeds apace, <name>. You have certainly been doing your part.
- <Stay a while and listen.>
- Halford Wyrmbane walks over to Master Mathias Shaw.
- Master Mathias Shaw says: How many campaigns against the Horde does this make for you, Wyrmbane?
- Halford Wyrmbane says: I've stopped counting. I go where the Alliance orders me... and where the Light calls me. But then, you are no stranger to battle.
- Master Mathias Shaw says: SI:7 was built to work behind the scenes. I prefer to stay in the shadows where I am not so... exposed.
- Halford Wyrmbane says: I must admit... as a paladin, I have questioned the need for spies and assassins within the ranks of the Alliance. But the honor and loyalty you have shown our king is beyond question.
- Master Mathias Shaw says: Kind of you to say, but if I had to choose between satisfying honor and getting the job done, I'll pick the latter every time. For the Alliance, of course.
- Halford Wyrmbane says: Oh, of course.
- Halford Wyrmbane walks back to his post.
- Conversation with Mathias Shaw on the Wind's Redemption started with Halford
- <Stay a while and listen.>
- Master Mathias Shaw walks over to Halford Wyrmbane.
- Master Mathias Shaw says: Tell me, Wyrmbane, how does a paladin come to lead a force of elite soldiers? Shouldn't you be off consecrating temples or some such?
- Halford Wyrmbane says: I served as a knight when the Silver Hand was founded. I was dubious that priestly orders could mix with martial skills, so I remained focused on my combat training.
- Halford Wyrmbane says: But the more I observed those first paladins, one in particular inspired me... Turalyon. His faith sustained him, fueled his dedication, and made him a great leader.
- Halford Wyrmbane says: When he left with the Alliance Expedition to Outland and was presumed lost, the Light opened my eyes. I realized I could be both a soldier and a paladin. I vowed to honor his sacrifice.
- Master Mathias Shaw says: When you learned that Turalyon was alive, did it cause you to question your devotion? Your choices?
- Halford Wyrmbane says: Quite the opposite. To witness Turalyon's return, and to learn how the Light had sustained him, transformed him, only strengthened my resolve. I know my faith was well placed.
- Master Mathias Shaw says: Your faith in the Light? Or in Turalyon?
- Halford Wyrmbane says: The Light will endure long after we are gone. But when this war is over, what will you be left with, Shaw?
- Master Mathias Shaw says: The next war. And the one after that.
- Master Mathias Shaw walks back to his post.
- Vision of Stormwind
- I... will never... forsake the Light...
- The Slavemaster... End him. Save... the others...
Notes and trivia
- His generic name is 7th Legion Marine and "Alliance Officer" in Vol'dun.
- His mounts are an armored horse and gryphon.
- Several unused IDs suggest he was initially planned to have a bigger role in Legion.
- During the Battle for Azeroth alpha, Mage-Commander Lyra was named Marshal Inora Wyrmbane, suggesting that she was somehow related to Halford.
- Halford is voiced by Fred Tatasciore in Battle for Azeroth.
|Halford Wyrmbane||Generic names|