|Location||Maw of Souls, Stormheim|
Harbaron is the second boss of Maw of Souls.
The mysterious ferryman of souls stands at the helm of the Naglfar, gathering the damned and bringing them to Helya's domain. His connection with the fallen queen of the val'kyr is unclear, but when the breeze catches Harbaron's cloak, an expanse of shimmering stars unfolds beneath. Strange.
Harbaron calls upon soul magic to wreak havok on players, fragmenting their soul into pieces or summoning fallen Vrykul minions.
- Interrupt Void Snap and defeat summoned Shackled Servitors.
- Defeat Soul Fragments created by Fragment.
- Fragment targets take significant damage.
- Assist in interrupting Void Snap cast by Shackled Servitors.
- Fragment — Fragments a target's soul into pieces, stunning them for 3 sec. Each Fragment inflicts increasing Shadow damage every second to the target. This effect lasts for 2 min or until all Fragments are defeated.
- Shackled Servitor
- Void Snap — Creates a ripple in the void at their present location, inflicting increasing Shadow damage to all players.
- Cosmic Scythe — Creates a cosmic faultline in a targeted direction, inflicting 219375 to 230625 Arcane damage to any enemies struck.
- Nether Rip — Conjures a rip the Twisting Nether at a target's location for 30 sec, immediately inflicting 237500 to 262500 Shadow damage to enemies within 4 yards of the impact point. This additionally defiles the ground, inflicting 75000 Shadow damage every second.
- Blowing the horn
- You wish for passage to Helheim? Then you shall have it! Ahahahahaha!
- The spirits grow hungry from the scent of blood.
- New passengers... New souls. I will guide you to the depths of helheim for a small price: your flesh and blood.
- All who enter Helheim must pay the blood price. Resist if you wish... In the end, I always get my payment!
- Void Snap
- If I cannot bleed the payment from you, the spirits will!
- The flesh burdens the soul. A nuisance that must be flayed from your bones!
- Summoning Shackled Servitor
- Arise, servitor! Claim our blood debt!
- Killed a player
- Another blood debt claimed... Another soul cast into the abyss.
- As I said... I always get my payment!
- Everyone must pay the blood price!
- No one rides for free.
- Bend and break, your soul I'll take!
- You see now the weakness in your mortal shell?
- Now... it is I who must pay... the blood price...
- Life... death... I am but one ripple in the eternal ebb and flow...
- Helya will make you pay... In the end, everyone pays...
- Unused quote
- Spirits! Sweep these mortals into the tides!
- Harbaron is most likely inspired by Hárbarðr from Norse mythology as well as Charon from Greek mythology. According to a poem in the Poetic Edda, Hárbarðr was a ferryman with a long grey beard that mocked and cursed Thor and refused him the crossing of a river, while in Greek mythology, Charon was the ferryman responsible for transporting the souls of the dead to the underworld Hades. Harbaron's "blood price" may be a reference to the coin that was traditionally placed in or on the mouth of a deceased person in Classical Greece to act as a payment or bribe for Charon in the afterlife.
- Harbaron is voiced by Alan Shearman.
Harbaron is likely a constellar. He shares his basic model with Algalon, another constellar, and their names are alike. His dungeon journal entry also notes how strange it is that when a breeze catches his cloak, an expanse of shimmering stars unfolds beneath. Finally, Xal'atath says "It was thought his kind was incorruptible. A lesson for my brothers I suppose."
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Added.