Healing Rain is a level 48 Restoration shaman healing spell that heals all allies in a designated area every second. It has a two second casting time, after which point the rain will remain for ten seconds. The spell has a cooldown that matches the duration, meaning that only one area of rain per shaman can be maintained.
Healing Rain is an area-effect heal over time (HoT) spell that calls down rain in a selected area, healing all players within it. There is no limit to the number of players who can potentially be affected, but the effect per target is reduced slightly if there are more than six players in the rain. This will keep the total healing done by the rain fairly constant, and prevents the rain from becoming excessively powerful in 25 man raids. It is currently the single most expensive healing spell in the game, making it very inefficient unless three or more players are in the rain. However, under ideal circumstances, Healing Rain is one of the best healing spells available to any class.
Any area within 40 yards of the shaman that is in line of sight can be selected. The Healing Rain is clearly visible as a blue circle on the ground, allowing players to move into it to receive healing. If there is more than one shaman in a group, multiple rains can be cast on top of each other, causing anyone within that area to be healed by both rains. Once the spell has been cast, the rain heals players within it regardless of line of sight or distance to the casting shaman.
Mechanically, Healing Rain is considered a heal over time for most purposes. Each tick has a separate chance of critical effect on each target, it cannot benefit from , and haste can give it additional ticks just like other healing over time spells.
Tips and tactics
- The short casting time and long duration means you can cast Healing Rain and then use other healing spells while it ticks, allowing you to heal a very large amount in a fairly short time if people are clumped together. The combination of Healing Rain and on players who are grouped up allows for some of the most powerful healing output in the game, rivaled only by druid's .
- Since it's so expensive, avoid using Healing Rain if players are spread out or are likely to have to move very soon.
- Unless you are forced to spread out for some reason, convince your party or raid members to group up, making Healing Rain more effective.
This ability was first used by the Severed Essence when it copied a shaman player, although it was named Replenishing Rains instead of Healing Rain. The mirror image is summoned by the Val'kyr Heralds located at The Spire inside Icecrown Citadel.
Healing Rain in Hearhstone.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Now only available to Restoration. Healing increased by 266%.
- Hotfix (2014-04-07): "Resolved an issue where the visual effect for Healing Rain was able to persist indefinitely."
- Patch 5.4.0 (2013-09-10): Healing has been reduced by 30%, and the area-of-effect has been increased to 12 yards (up from 10 yards). In addition, Healing Rain now functions like a smart heal, healing the 6 most injured friendly targets within range, and minor guardians are no longer targeted (Wild Imps, , Snakes from Snake Traps, etc.). There has been no change to the total amount of healing granted by the ability.
- Hotfix (2013-05-22): "Healing Rain's area-of-effect now should cap properly at 6 targets."
- Hotfix (2013-03-27): "Healing Rain now heals for 20% more."
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): Mana cost reduced by 15%.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Now have a diminished effect when healing more than 6 players at once.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Added.