Enemy of Nature,|
The Great Game Hunter,
The Butcher of Badlands,
The Stranglethorn Ripper,
Old Man Death,
Ol' Dirty D,
Father of the Bounty,
The Target of D.E.H.T.A.,
Greatest Hunter in all of Azeroth,
|Affiliation(s)||Nesingwary Safari, Unseen Path|
Leader of the Nesingwary Safari and Nesingwary Base Camp, Champion of the Unseen Path;
Former leader of Nesingwary's Expedition
|Relative(s)||Hemet Nesingwary Jr. (son)|
|Companion(s)||Stampy, Gibby, Kroshik, Stompy, silkwing, ironhide bull, direhorn, cypress condor (pets)|
- "Listen to me, lad, and I'll teach you everything you'll ever need to know."
Hemet Nesingwary is a dwarven game hunter seen in Nagrand, Sholazar Basin, Valley of the Four Winds, alternate Nagrand, Highmountain, and Zuldazar. Considered the greatest hunter on Azeroth, he leads safaris to hunt the wildlife of Azeroth and beyond, and is the author of The Green Hills of Stranglethorn. He is generally to be found in the wild, camped out with a group of fellow hunters, surrounded by a variety of grizzly trophies collected from the native game of the area. Nesingwary and his cohorts tutor adventurers on the hunting and trapping of wild creatures.
Hemet fought in many battles alongside Ajeck Rouack's father, and has been described by his servant Barnil Stonepot as a war hero of the Alliance. Nesingwary is the father of Hemet Nesingwary Jr., who has taken over some of his father's duties in Stranglethorn in order to allow him to focus on new and even more exotic game in newly discovered lands.
- 1 History
- 2 Locations
- 3 Quests
- 4 Quotes
- 5 In Hearthstone
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Gallery
- 8 Patch changes
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Legends: The Thrill of the Hunt
Hemet was hired by the night elves of Nighthaven to track down a crazy furbolg that was terrorizing the elves. He chased him into Winterspring where he almost caught him not for the interference of Creedy's hunters. The furbolg escaped but one of the hunters recognized him to be the most famous hunter. They told him they were hunting a fox and Hemet joined them. After they found the animal's tracks, he immediately realized they were not after a fox and left them. He went after the tracks only to be attacked by a large cat, who turned out to be Teleena, a night elf druid. She explained that her nightsaber mount, Isis, had been killed by Creedy's group, who were bounty hunters. Isis had just given birth to three cubs which the bounty hunters intended to poach; their markings, which would fade as they got older, made their hides valuable to the unscrupulous that were willing to pay high prices for them.
Outraged that the bounty hunters would slaughter young animals that had no way or chance to defend themselves, Hemet immediately decided to help Teleena and her three cubs. They successfully escaped Creedy but the cruel hunter was able to shoot Teleena. Hemet took her to a nearby cave and managed to remove the bullet, but she later succumbed to her wound, asking him to take care of the three cubs before she died.
Nesingwary began with constructing traps and fashioned a bow and arrows from the bush for silent takedowns, killing Creedy's hunters one by one. Hemet managed to pull Creedy into a trap and bound him to a tree. The furbolg Hemet had been hunting appeared and he allowed it to kill Creedy before shooting it. Hemet then collected Teleena's body, the cubs, and the furbolg and turned them over to her people.
He would once visit The Blue Recluse and recounted his story to Flint Broadshot and his cronies, having learned the true meaning of an honorable kill and the "thrill of the hunt". He then claimed the corpse of a tiger the cowardly Flint had trapped before shooting it, leaving Stormwind to bury the animal out in the wild.
World of Warcraft
Hemet also visited Kravel Koalbeard Shimmering Flats in Thousand Needles and ordered ammunition from him. He also arrived to Desolace in Kalimdor and befriended the tauren Roon Wildmane, spending several days hunting beasts. When he left for Stranglethorn, Roon vowed to invite him back.
Hemet Nesingwary was stationed in Nesingwary's Expedition in Stranglethorn Vale was level 40 and directed young adventurers to hunt local game. He later left for Outland to hunt bigger game. The Stranglethorn Vale quests he used to offer are now given by his son Hemet Nesingwary Jr.
The Burning Crusade
This section concerns content related to The Burning Crusade.
With the opening of the Dark Portal, Hemet Nesingwary saw this as an opportunity to hunt new prey. He traveled to Nagrand and set up camp and welcomes every one who wishes to join the hunt. His choice of target there appeared to be the clefthoof and Banthar is their champion. His ultimate target was Tusker.
Wrath of the Lich King
During the war against the Lich King, Hemet Nesingwary has returned to Azeroth, moving his operations (via a boat crash landing this time) to the Nesingwary Base Camp, located in Sholazar Basin in western Northrend. (Evidently, his piloting skills have not improved.)
Unlike from the original WoW-to-BC transition, Nesingwary can still be found in Nagrand as well as Sholazar Basin. It was previously assumed that Hemet Jr. (or another son) would replace him in Nagrand, but this does not appear to be the case.
Mists of Pandaria
Hemet and his son make an appearance in Mists of Pandaria at Nesingwary's Safari near the south-west of the Valley of the Four Winds, in Pandaria. They have traveled here with a small group, having arrived by hot air balloon, The Killem' Jaro (and not crashing for a change). After he had valley's wildlife hunted, his son wanted to step out of his father's shadow by hunting his own game hunt. Nevertheless, Hemet had to rescue Junior from the spell of Torjar's Bane.
Warlords of Draenor
The Alliance and Horde invited Hemet to come to Nagrand to hunt big game. However, when he got here, they instead told him to hunt the Warsong wolves. This made Hemet disappointed, as he wanted to hunt big game, and felt the domesticated wolves weren't worth the effort. He set up a "camp" in eastern Nagrand, just north of Hallvalor, and began drinking heavily.
If a player drinks with him, Hemet may sometimes appear in their garrison.
|This section is a lore stub.|
Spring Balloon Festival
Battle for Azeroth
|This section is a lore stub.|
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Valley of the Four Winds||86||26,520|
|Valley of the Four Winds||87||28,755|
|Nagrand (alternate universe)||99||15,900,200|
|Highmountain||101 - 110||401,117|
- Stranglethorn Vale
Please add any available information to this section.
This section concerns content related to The Burning Crusade.
Keep a sharp eye, <class>. You never know when some beastie is stalking you instead of the other way around.
Hemet Nesingwary, what are you doing here in Outland?
- Listen lad. I left the expedition in the capable hands of me son, Junior. When you've stalked the finest game in all of Azeroth you start to itch for something more.
- And have you seen the size of the beasties here?!
- I'm here hunting the most dangerous prey you'll ever lay your eyes on. I mean to bag myself Tusker and take her heart as my trophy!
- Whatsh do you want? Can't you shee I'm trying to drinksss here? Pour yourshelf one.
- But, when I got here wasss that what they wantsh me to do? NO!
- That'sh no job for Hemet Neshingwary!
- Quest text
- Ya did a fine job takin' down that bird. Maybe I was wrong about you hunters up in that lodge. Clearly ya know what you're doin'. I'd be happy to hunt by your side again, as long as you're huntin' big game!
- Och, ya cannae beat the smell of fresh pine in the breeze.
- Ah, the thrill of the hunt!
- I hope ya like ta hunt!
- It's a fine day for a hunt.
- Keep that up, and I'll be hunting you next.
- You're trying ma patience!
- I don't have time for your nonsense!
- Happy hunting!
- May your aim be true.
- Hey, be safe out there.
- Nesingwary's Retreat
- It doesn't get much better than this; the smell of fresh pine in the breeze, an abundance of game to be hunted.
- I won't be forgettin' that hunt anytime soon!
- On approach in the Trueshot Lodge
- A fine hall ya have here!
- A clean shot!
- I've got the target in my sights!
- This one counts as my kill!
Hemet appears as a legendary card in the Goblins vs Gnomes expansion for Hearthstone. His flavor text reads: "It's hard to make a living as a hunter in a world where beasts instantly reappear minutes after you kill them."
He is also the fifth and penultimate boss that new players face in the game's initial tutorial. Since his legendary card was only first introduced in Goblins vs Gnomes, he was the last of the tutorial bosses to be added as a collectible minion card to the game.
- Hemet claims to have fought against the Burning Legion at some point. This was most likely during the Third War. Alternatively, it could have happened at any point after the war in areas inhabited by the demons.
- His name is an anagram of the author Ernest Hemingway; former World of Warcraft quest designer Jeffrey Kaplan, who created Hemet and the original quest, is a huge Hemingway fan. Hemingway was an avid hunter, fisherman, and safari traveler. The theme of the "Great White Hunter" is common in his books. The Green Hills of Stranglethorn is a parody of Hemingway's Green Hills of Africa, a nonfiction work describing his safari adventures. Additionally, the achievements for finishing Hemet's quests in Outland and Northrend ( and , respectively) reference two other Hemingway books: Hills Like White Elephants and The Snows of Kilimanjaro.
- Before patch 2.0.1, Hemet Nesingwary could be found at Nesingwary's Expedition in Stranglethorn Vale. Now his son, Hemet Nesingwary Jr., looks after the camp.
- The US PvE realm Server:Nesingwary US of the Emberstorm battlegroup is named after Hemet.
- can be fished up from the fountain in the version of Dalaran.
- Hemet is voiced by J.B. Blanc.
- Helga Nesingwary, daughter of Hemet, was originally planned to appear in Gorgrond in Warlords of Draenor. She would go insane and players would help her regain her sanity.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Appearance in Valley of the Four Winds added.
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28): Appearance on Mount Hyjal added.
- Patch 3.0.3 (2008-11-04): Appearance in Sholazar Basin added.
- Patch 2.0.3 (2007-01-09): Moved to Nagrand.
- Patch 2.0.1 (2006-12-05): Replaced by his son, Hemet Nesingwary Jr. in Stranglethorn Vale.
- Patch 1.1.0 (2004-11-07): Hemet Nesingwary and his companions now like Horde players in addition to Alliance players.
- ^ Ultimate Visual Guide
- ^ Trading Card Game: Icecrown: Hemet Nesingwary
- ^ Legends Volume 3: The Thrill of the Hunt
- ^ WotLK Report May 2008.
- ^ The Green Hills of Stranglethorn, pg. 22
- ^ World of Warcraft 2019-08-30. WoW® Classic with Creators Episode 3: Jeff Kaplan. YouTube. Retrieved on 2019-08-31.