Hiding in the Stacks
|Level||10-45 (Requires 10)|
Item level 700 gloves (ilvl 685 at 100)|
- 1 Objectives
- 2 Description
- 3 Rewards
- 4 Progress
- 5 Completion
- 6 Notes
- 6.1 Stage 1: The Archmage
- 6.2 Stage 2: Visions of the Past
- 6.3 Stage 3: Medivh's Defenses
- 6.4 Stage 4: We Are Not Alone
- 6.5 Stage 5: Breaking In
- 6.6 Stage 6: Wisped Away
- 6.7 Stage 7: Bookkeeping
- 6.8 Stage 8: Not the Intruders You're Looking For
- 6.9 Stage 9: Defenders of Karazhan
- 6.10 Stage 10: Knowledge is Key
- 6.11 Final Stage: Words of the Wise
- 6.12 Finale
- 7 Progression
- 8 Patch changes
- 9 External links
- Recover Knowledge of the Pillars of Creation
It's time to head into Karazhan. Not that I need to remind you, but it can be a dangerous place. There are countless strata of spells woven throughout the tower, and the interaction of the forces within can be... unpredictable. Be on your guard.
I'll join you inside. I need a moment to... gather my thoughts. This place holds a lot of memories for me.
You will also receive:
- 14 60
- 14,950 XP
Do you have something for me?
Not long after you left, the first wave of demons struck. We're holding them at bay... for now.
I'll keep this tome safe until we have a chance to study it.
Good work in there. I should like to delve into the libraries of Karazhan myself one day. At least... I think I would.
- Quest accept
- Archmage Khadgar says: You head in. I'll join you momentarily. I just need to... gather my thoughts.
Open the portcullis behind Khadgar and enter a special version of Karazhan.
Stage 1: The Archmage
- Meet with Archmage Khadgar inside Karazhan
- Meet with Khadgar
Step forward and Khadgar will appear.
- Archmage Khadgar says: I have an idea where to find the tome discussing the Pillars of Creation, but getting there may present some... challenges.
- Khadgar steps over to the stairway entrance.
- Archmage Khadgar says: We have much to do and little time to do it. When you are ready, we'll begin.
Speak with him:
- The Burning Legion's power grows. We haven't time to spare.
- Let us begin.
Stage 2: Visions of the Past
- Learn the secrets of Karazhan's past
- Listen to the story of Khadgar's arrival
- Archmage Khadgar says: I've been away too long. I fear the tower has fallen into disrepair. Please, pardon the mess.
- Archmage Khadgar says: Heh, I remember the day I arrived. So young and nervous... sent by the Kirin Tor to study under the famed mage Medivh.
- A vision of Moroes and Khadgar appear, walking up the steps just ahead of Khadgar and the player.
- Vision of Moroes says: Care to borrow some blinders? Other students have found them quite useful for ignoring those distracting visions.
- Vision of Khadgar says: Uh... no, thank you. If I may ask, what became of the other students?
- Moroes fades away while Khadgar's walks to the middle of the ballroom.
- Archmage Khadgar says: I was not the first sent to study under Medivh. I was, however, the only one he accepted as his apprentice.
- A vision of Medivh teleports in to the railing above the ballroom, looking downwards at young Khadgar.
- Vision of Medivh says: So... It seems our young spy has arrived at last.
- Young Khadgar heads for the doorway and vanishes while Medivh turns and walks away. Khadgar heads for the doorway, which is blocked with a magical barrier.
- Archmage Khadgar says: Earning his trust took time. Cleaning the library wasn't a glamorous start to my career, but it taught me that to Medivh, everything was a test. Prearation for... a greater destiny.
- Archmage Khadgar says: The last time I was here, I left behind a few... safety measures. There are countless secrets within these walls, and many who would stop at nothing to learn them.
- Archmage Khadgar says: Hmm, it appears that my safeguards may have been altered. Keep an eye out while I open the way.
- Echo of Medivh yells: That which was foreseen has come to pass. The circle nears completion. Sentries, attend to our "guests"!
Stage 3: Medivh's Defenses
- Disable the Arcane Protector activated by Medivh
- Arcane Protector disabled
- Archmage Khadgar says: The sentry! Look out!
Defeat the activated Arcane Protector.
- Arcane Protector says: Activating defense mode EL-7M. (if reseted)
Stage 4: We Are Not Alone
- Stay with Khadgar
- Stay with Khadgar
- Archmage Khadgar says: The tower's defenses have been compromised! I sense the tendrils of Medivh's magic thwarting my safeguards!
- The room trembles with localized explosions. Khadgar turns and starts for the main stairs, but halts briefly as a blast of fel energy and fire rolls through its stairwell.
- Thar'zul yells: The way is clear, just as the Great One promised! This tower is ours of the taking!
- From the top, Khadgar and the adventurer can see a large number of demons (Felblade Sentry, Raging Berserker) are rushing up the stairs. Khadgar summons a magical barrier to hold them in place.
- Archmage Khadgar says: That won't hold them long. We must get to the library!
Stage 5: Breaking In
- Assist Khadgar by deactivating the protective rune.
- Protective Rune deactivated
- Khadgar runs back toward the doorway, casting a spell that reveals two runes on either side of the doorway.
- Archmage Khadgar says: Sargeras knows we're after the location of the Pillars! I'll need your help to bring down this barrier.
- Khadgar takes the left rune.
- Archmage Khadgar says: Let's give these runs a try. A hand, if you would?
Interact with the right-hand Mark of the Kirin Tor.
Stage 6: Wisped Away
- Read from the Guardian's Arcanum to escape to the library.
- Escape to the library
- Khadgar runs up to the next level of the Grand Ballroom, stopping at the top of the stairs.
- Archmage Khadgar yells: The wards! More sentries are coming after us. Fortunately, I always keep a few tricks up my sleeve.
- Khadgar turns to the table and begins to prepares one of the books sitting on it.
- Archmage Khadgar yells: This book holds a spell that will take you to the library. Get going! And be ready for anything!
- The book in question lights up. At the same time, a boss-level Arcane Protector activates and runs in Khadgar's direction.
- Arcane Protector yells: Intruder alert!
- Khadgar traps the protector in an arcane bubble.
Interact with the Guardian's Arcanum to get whisked away to a portal above the auditorium of the Opera Hall, and sent to another inside the doorway of the Guardian's Library, where the Shade of Aran was fought.
Stage 7: Bookkeeping
- Destroy the Agitated Tomes.
- Agitated Tomes destroyed
A handful of animated books are flying around the room. Take them all out.
Stage 8: Not the Intruders You're Looking For
- Assist Khadgar by weakening the guardians.
- Guardians subdued
- Khadgar teleports in. He runs to the center and shuts down the portal you came through at the entrance.
- Archmage Khadgar says: If we're to have any hope of holding back the Legion, I need to get the sentries back on our side.
- Archmage Khadgar says: You'll have to subdue the guardians before my calibration can take effect. No need to be gentle!
- Arcane Curator says: Activating defense mode EL-2S.
- Arcane Keeper says: Activating defense mode EL-5R.
Stage 9: Defenders of Karazhan
- Assist Khadgar by attuning the protectors to defend Karazhan.
- Guardians reactivated x3
- Archmage Khadgar says: Reactivate the sentries once I finish their adjustments. I'll reinforce the door and send the guardians against the Legion. That will buy us time to find what we're after.
- With a flick of his arm Khadgar preps the sentries for you, then walks up to the entrance and works on reinforcing it with an arcane barrier.
Interact with the three just-defeated guardians to reactivate them.
- Threat detected. Pursuing.
- Protection mode enabled. Targets identified.
- Defensive calibration complete. Acquiring targets.
The guardians run toward the door and teleport out.
Stage 10: Knowledge is Key
- Find the tome containing information about the Pillars of Creation.
- Tome recovered
- The room begins to shudder as the protectors engage the demons.
- Thar'zul yells: You can't stop us, mage! Your former master opened the way to our victory! Karazhan will be ours!
- Archmage Khadgar says: I've really, REALLY had enough of that demon!
- Archmage Khadgar says: The knowledge of the Pillars is here! We must find that tome!
- Khadgar hurries back to the center and summons a small scrying orb to search the shelves and tables.
- Archmage Khadgar says: There? No... There! No...
- Archmage Khadgar says: Ah, could that be? YES! That's it!
Final Stage: Words of the Wise
- Listen to Khadgar's instructions regarding the tome
- Listen to Khadgar
- Archmage Khadgar says: Take the tome, <name>. The information it holds is vital!
- Thar'zul yells: This changes nothing, mage! Your defenses will crumble and your world will burn!
- Archmage Khadgar says: We have what we came for, but I'd be remiss if I didn't try to bolster Karazhan's defenses before I leave. I owe that much to Medivh... the good man he once was, not the pawn of Sargeras he became.
- Khadgar opens a portal to Dalaran.
- Archmage Khadgar says: Get that book into Modera's hands in Dalaran. I'll join you soon. And... thank you.
Take the portal, then talk to Archmage Modera in the Violet Citadel. Dalaran is under attack by invading demons!
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Added.