The Howling Oak was an area in the north of the night elven capital city of Darnassus, centered around large Gilnean oak tree. It was the new home of the refugees who fled Gilneas with the aid of the night elves following the Forsaken invasion. The tree itself is a "worgen tree", very similar to Tal'doren in the Blackwald. The area is accessible from the Craftsmen's Terrace and Cenarion Enclave from the southeast and southwest respectively.
The Howling Oak was originally grown through the aid of the night elven druids from a seed taken from Gilneas. It now stands for all the Gilneans have endured since the ruin of their kingdom, and all that their people have since accomplished. King Genn Greymane would make an appearance here shortly after the Gilneans' arrival in Darnassus, where he and his people would be greeted personally by High Priestess Tyrande Whisperwind.
It's a place where both worgen and night elf druids train.
- Gwen Armstead <Innkeeper>
- Belysra Starbreeze <Priestess of the Moon>
- Sister Almyra <Priest Trainer>
- Sergeant Cleese <Warrior Trainer>
- Huntsman Blake <Hunter Trainer>
- Lyros Swiftwind <Druid Trainer>
- Vassandra Stormclaw <Druid Trainer>
- Talran of the Wild <Druid Trainer>
- Archmage Mordent Evenshade <The Highborne>
- Myriam Spellwaker <Mage Trainer>
- Vitus Darkwalker <Warlock Trainer>
- Loren the Fence <Rogue Trainer>
- Jenn Stravaganza
- Carrie Eileen Steen
- Jamie Harriott
- Rachel DeSimone
- Astrid Langstrump <Mountain Horse Handler>
Notes and trivia
- Astrid Langstrump can be found outside the main tree selling Gilnean Mountain Horses.
- The name "Howling Oak" is a pun in reference to the lupine worgen.
- The Howling Oak is considerably cleaner than the Goblin Slums of Orgrimmar but also offers far fewer amenities, with its main highlight being the class trainers.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Added.