Hydrocane is a staff noted for having a passive Underwater Breathing effect, making it a handy utility item for staff-using classes.
- According Mathias Shaw, the staff was returned to a safe place in Tinker Town, in Ironforge.
- If your character can use staves it is handy to carry this with you, as you may swap weapons in combat and when equipping this underwater it will quickly refill your breath bar, allowing you to swap back to your fighting weapon and continue with little to no risk of drowning, especially for casting classes. It is less useful for Warlocks, who can already breathe underwater with their spell, in addition, the glyph for this spell increases their swim speed by 20 percent.
The unique hydrocane mentioned in the RPG was likely the inspiration for the model of the Hydrocane.
In the RPG
Staves of this sort are crafted from hydrobarks—small trees that grow along the banks of rivers throughout Azeroth. The rounded remnants of the tree's roots remain affixed to the bottom of the staff, so that the weapon can be set upon the ground and remain standing. The staff's tip is carved into a ring shape, within which floats a bubble of water seeming unaffected by gravity. On one hydrocane of note the tip of the staff is a frozen shard of ice, and the staff appears to be covered in a silvery metal, with the end of the staff inlaid with a blue crystal.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Stats squished.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Item level reduced from 32 to 29. Frost resistance replaced with Stamina. Speed reduced from 2.80 to 3.10.
- Patch 1.6.0 (2005-07-12): The water breathing ability of the Hydrocane will now continue to work if the player is shapeshifted.