Ignis the Furnace Master (tactics)
- For lore, see Ignis the Furnace Master.
|Race||Fire giant (Giant)|
|Location||Colossal Forge, Ulduar|
Like the other titan-forged creations in Ulduar, Ignis now serves the twisted will of the Old God Yogg-Saron. This imposing fire giant toils over the Colossal Forge, creating the iron armies that will conquer Azeroth in Yogg-Saron's name.
Ignis the Furnace Master will activate Iron Constructs which need to Heat Up and Shattered to destroy them.
- Stop casting to avoid being interrupted by Flame Jets.
- Deal significant damage with a single attack to an Iron Construct afflicted with Brittle to destroy it.
- Stop casting to avoid being interrupted by Flame Jets.
- Be quick to grab the attention of Iron Constructs as they spawn.
- When Iron Constructs become Molten if pulled into water they become Brittle.
- Flame Jets — Stomps the ground causing geysers of flame to erupt under all enemies. These geysers deal 5655 to 6345 Fire damage, knocking the targets into the air and interrupting any spells being cast for 6 sec. In addition, the targets take 1000 Fire damage per second for 6 sec.
- Slag Pot — Charges and grabs a random enemy target, tossing them into the caster's slag pot. The target is unable to attack the caster and takes 7500 Fire damage every second for 10 sec. If the target survives, they are imbued with the magical slag, increasing their haste by 100% for 10 sec.
- Slag Imbued — Haste increased by 100%.
- Scorch — Fires a jet of flame, burning all enemies in front of the caster within 30 yards, dealing 3770 to 4230 Fire damage every half-second for 3 sec. Additionally, the ground is scorched by this effect causing it to catch on fire, dealing 3016 to 3384 Fire damage every second to all enemies within 13 yards. Iron Constructs within this radius will begin to heat up, eventually becoming molten.
- Heat — Blasts all nearby Iron Constructs with intense heat, increasing their movement speed by 5 and haste by 5. This effect stacks up to 10 times. If this effect stacks to 10, the affected Iron Construct will become Molten.
- Molten — The caster becomes Molten, increasing haste by 100%. In addition, Flames errupt out from the caster every second, dealing 1885 to 2115 Fire damage to enemies within 7 yards.
- Strength of the Creator — For every activate Iron Construct Ignis' damage is increased by 20%. This effect stacks.
- Water — An Iron Construct afflicted with Molten will become Brittle when coming in contact with Water.
- Brittle — The cold water causes molten Iron Constructs to rapidly solidify, rendering them unable to act. In addition, if they are dealt more than 5000 damage during this state, they will shatter, dealing 14137 to 15863 damage to all enemies in a 10 yard radius.
- Iron Construct
The Ignis encounter is an endurance fight with a soft enrage (not a timer) that makes up the complexity of the fight and affects all members of the raid.
- Choosing tanks
For all modes, you will need a Main Tank to kite Ignis, and either an off-tank or a very skilled kiting DPS (probably two or even three on 25 man). If you attempt to turn the Iron Constructs molten and destroy them, you'll probably prefer an off-tank because of the mitigation and large buffer of health compared to a DPS. However, if you are going to simply DPS him down immediately (you will need to average about 3500 dps on 10 man for all 5-7 DPS), you can get away with a player who is able to aggro, dodge, and CC the constructs (prot warriors, prot paladin, mages, hunters with a pet, warlocks with a voidwalker, or a druid). Also, the constructs can be snared into place so any kind of druid is the best option.
- How to tank
As the main tank, have a hunter misdirect the boss to you, or simply run up and get aggro on him immediately. You should choose and make known which direction or area of the room you're going to kite him so the rest of the raid knows where to position themselves. Some groups choose to strafe him left to right (either across the room, or length wise near the constructs), around the entire room, or around one half of the room; note that he should never be tanked in front of the water if you are going to be destroying the constructs, as scorch will be dispelled. However, this is the optimal location for tanking him to reduce damage on the tank, and keep everyone in the same position throughout the fight.
The second way to tank him is to bring him to the direct center of the room. Have the tank turn him away from the raid and when he scorchs the ground, turn him to the left or right and keep the melee DPS where they are. Then, after then 2nd scorch run across the boss and tank him in the opposite direction so the 3rd scorch goes to the right or left and the melee DPS can stay where they are. After the 3rd scorch comes, the 1st one should be down by now and you go back to the starting point. If done right, no one should take any damage from contrucsts blowing up nor should they lose Heat stacks. The off tanks should be ready to taunt them to water when they go molten and get out of the way of them blowing up.
- Main Tanking - what to look out for
Naxxramas geared tanks (item levels 200 and 213) can take upwards of 25000-30000 damage per hit from Ignis' melee strikes. As the fight goes on, his melee strikes will gain an additional 20% damage from each Iron Construct that is active (eventually, if left unchecked, it will get to the point where you are one shotted). His scorch is a cone that will damage anyone he is facing, so your back should always be away from the raid. Flame Jets will throw you into the air briefly, but since you aren't a caster, your abilities should not become locked. After a scorch has landed on the ground around you, strafe out of it quickly to avoid taking damage and get your melee DPS into a safe spot as well. You should not aggro any constructs unless you wish to cause additional stress to your healers.
- Off-tanks and kiters
For the first 15 seconds of the fight, DPS Ignis. He doesn't have a cleave, and scorch won't be fired until 12 seconds into the fight (and you can stand behind him safely). When the first Construct appears, grab aggro and begin moving away from it. The more constructs that are up, the faster they move so eventually they will outrun you if you don't do anything about it. Off-tanks should only take about 1-2k damage per swing, so the damage they deal is negligible, however, since this affects your healers, if you can do something about it you should (as a prot warrior, you can charge constructs and then run past them, or intervene to a close ally to get away from enemies). If you're kiting them and you're not a tank, CCing abilities are vital to your group's survival. Frost Nova, Frost Traps and pet tanks, Void Walkers and destruction warlocks' AOE stun, and druid roots and travel form are all possible solutions, however they tend to only be effective for a few minutes. If your group is going to be destroying the Constructs, make sure you have a healer that can either heal you through scorch, or you have good CCers that can keep the constructs in the flames of scorch long enough to heat it up (moonkins and mages are very handy for that).
Healers need to be on the ball to keep the main tank healed because of the significant melee damage dealt by Ignis. Casters, particularly healers, should take care to stop casting before Ignis uses Flame Jets, otherwise they will be locked out of their spells for 8 seconds. All players should make sure to move out of Scorch areas. Random players will periodically be charged and placed in the Slag Pot attached to Ignis' stomach. Whichever player is charged should be healed through the DoT (they gain a debuff to help identify it on your raid frames). You should instruct your raid members to stack on you for AOE healing.
As a DPS, your job is to not stand in scorched areas, to call out when you are inside of the Slag Pot, and stand behind Ignis at all times (preferably stacked on your healers for AOE healing). Ranged DPS should be used to destroy Brittle Iron Constructs if your raid decides to kill the adds (only powerful abilities like , , , , and should be used to beat the 5000 minimum damage requirement). If you survive being stuck in the Slag Pot, you should use the haste buff as best you can (10-second duration) to fire off your slower, more powerful attacks. Since this fight is heavily reliant on DPS, every DPS member of the party should have a minimum of 3500 DPS (4000+ group average recommended) for the duration of the fight.
Ignis the Furnace Master does not have a hard mode.
- Insolent whelps! Your blood will temper the weapons used to reclaim this world!
- Slag Pot
- BURN! Burn in the Maker's fire!
- Flame Jets
- I will burn away your impurities!
- Summon Adds
- Arise, soldiers of the iron crucible! The Maker's will be done!
- Killing a player
- More scraps for the scrapheap!
- Your bones will serve as kindling!
- LET IS BE FINISHED!
- I. Have. Failed.
- Unused quotes
- Let the inferno consume you!
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2009-04-28): The Ignis the Furnace Master encounter has received the following changes: The interrupt effect and duration of the damage from Flame Jets has been reduced, the damage from the Slag Pot has been reduced, the number of Heat stacks needed to transform an Iron Construct into a Molten state has been reduced, the base melee damage done by Ignis has been reduced, and the damage bonus Ignis receives from Strength of the Creator has been slightly increased.
- Hotfix (2009-04-21):
- For Ignis the Furnace master, Strength of the Creator will now only affect physical damage and he will have to wait for a short time to charge after casting Flame Jets.
- Ignis the Furnace master has had his melee damage reduced.
- The Molten damage from when Iron Constructs turn molten has been reduced, the ground damage from Scorch has been reduced, and the total health of Ignis himself has been reduced.
- Hotfix (2009-04-17):
- The Ignis the Furnace encounter has received several changes. To make his individual hits less devastating, we reduced his overall melee damage by about 15% but he swings faster now. In normal mode we increased the cooldown of Activate Construct from 30 to 40 seconds. We also decreased the damage of the Scorch ground effect by 20% on both difficulties.
- Ignis the Furnace Master should no longer melee players he is grabbing.
- Hotfix (2009-04-15): Shattering a Construct during the Ignis the Furnace Master encounter will now decrease the number of Strength of the Creator stack buffs he has by one.
- Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): Added.
- ^ Daelo 2009-03-24. World of Warcraft - English (NA) Forums -> Ulduar Hard Modes - Who has 'em?. Retrieved on 2009-04-17.